What kick stand to use for fully loaded??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BMG100

What kick stand to use for fully loaded??

Post by BMG100 »

Hi All,

This maybe a silly question but.....What kind of kick stands do people tend to use for fully loaded Touring Bikes. Last year I went on a 6 week trip and the stand I had bent and snapped after 3 weeks - it was a single pronged centre stand. The balance was always horrible and the handle bars would suddenly swing around with the weight of the panniers and the bike would fall over. If I left the bars turned the bike wouldnt stay up eitherr. I have thought about a two pronged one but I have read that many people suffer from crushed chain stays with these ones - I don't quite now how this happens. I noticed that Mark Beaumont used a front axle and rear axle combination - does any know where I can get these - I can find a back one no worries but the front one is elusive. It is a real pain having to stand it against a tree or wall etc. Any recommendations would be good.

Cheers
Mattie

Re: What kick stand to use for fully loaded??

Post by Mattie »

BMG100 wrote:Hi All,

...... I noticed that Mark Beaumont used a front axle and rear axle combination - does any know where I can get these - I can find a back one no worries but the front one is elusive. It is a real pain having to stand it against a tree or wall etc. Any recommendations would be good.

Cheers

Tubus do a small front stand that attaches to some of their front pannier racks. I have another version of this that came as standard on my World Traveller so they probably make more than one version. http://www.tubus.com/en/spares-and-accessories
Robert

Post by Robert »

I had a two leg stand on the tandem on last year's tour. I've got mixed feelings about it, it tended to come loose - and was very difficult to get at with an allen key. When it was working it was good in a way. We had a trailer with us, and either the front or rear wheel would lift depending on the distribution of the load between trailer and panniers.

When it came loose I attached it to the chain stay with a toe strap and didn't notice it's lack too much - it was ok when you had a kerb to park up against, but a tandem and a trailer is always going to be an awkward combination to park.

When I took it off recently I found it weighed 1lb 4ozs, which seems an awful lot of weight to lug around if you don't really need it. I don't think I'll put it back on. I don't have a work stand, and I think I got most use out of it when I was fettling the bike.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Beware the two-legged variety or even the single leg ones that clamp around the seatstays behind the BB. It's altogether too easy to crush the chainstays whilst trying to tighten the clamp. Spoken from experience. :(
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Velorum

Post by Velorum »

I use one of these - albeit on a heavy dutch roadster:

Despite the buky appearance its suprisingly light due to the resin construction and very stable. As the Sparta has a brazed on mount there are no worries re chainstay damage. Much better than the basic prop stand it replaced.

I bought it from SJS who have a pretty good range

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-Propstands-323.htm
sbseven

Post by sbseven »

Have a look at http://www.click-stand.com. I bought a Clickstand MAX and quite like it. It supports a loaded touring bike remarkably well. The combination of the pole and locked wheels (comes supplied with strong elastic bands to engage the brake levers) makes a very stable tripod. I'm able to load my panniers onto the bike quite easily with the stand engaged. Light and portable too. No problems with bent chainstays or frame warranty issues.

Shaun
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I was brought up to never use a kickstand on a fully loaded, or otherwise, bike, for all of the reasons listed. Overbalancing, breaking, and damaging your bike.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think any standard bike kickstand is going to work properly with full bike luggage because the centre of gravity is at some point inevitably going to be outside the line of the foot / feet of the stand and the bike will topple. Since even a standard Pletcher-type kickstand is very heavy, it seems to me that anything of that type big enough tol work would be impracticable for touring. Your are left with the ckick- stand arrangement as being the only thing that's light enough to be reasonably practical for touring and - most important - will work.
BMG100

Post by BMG100 »

I have seen the click stand and wondered how good it was - sounds like it is ok. I think I might give it a shot! Cheers
sbseven

Post by sbseven »

BMG100 wrote:I have seen the click stand and wondered how good it was...

It's pretty good. The secret is having both wheels locked by engaging the brakes with the strong elastic bands. Makes everything very stable and unlikely to topple...
cyclesense

Post by cyclesense »

BMG100 wrote:Hi All,

I noticed that Mark Beaumont used a front axle and rear axle combination - does any know where I can get these -

The Koga Signature that Mark uses is fitted with a Tubus rack which has an adaptor plate fitted and the propstand is in turn fitted to this plate.
The same rack & propstand is supplied as standard to the Koga Randonneur too.
Used together with the rear propstand , it makes the bike very stable when fully loaded...simple but effective .

Contact Cyclesense in Tadcaster if you need more advice

01937 530303
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

sbseven wrote:Have a look at http://www.click-stand.com. I bought a Clickstand MAX and quite like it. It supports a loaded touring bike remarkably well. The combination of the pole and locked wheels (comes supplied with strong elastic bands to engage the brake levers) makes a very stable tripod. I'm able to load my panniers onto the bike quite easily with the stand engaged. Light and portable too. No problems with bent chainstays or frame warranty issues.

Shaun

A normal fold down stand won't fit on my bike, there's not enough space, but..... What a source of inspiration the Click Stand is!

Being on a budget...... I visited the local angling centre and picked up this :

Its a rod rest, or bank stick, with a plastic V at the top. Its in two parts, an aluminium rod holding the plastic V that slides into an aluminium tube with an adjustable clamp screw so you can set it to just the height you want. A couple of strong elastic bands are required to hold on the brakes and you are in business.

It stows quite neatly nesting next to my pump with the V nesting in the V on the headstock on my particular bike.

Cost not $28 + postage from USA, but £3.95! Its a Dinsmore Arrow Point bank stick in case any one fancies one (I did cut a bit off both the tube and the rod to make it fit my bike perfectly. I also wound a piece of duct tape around the end of the rod that is inside the tube to cut out annoying rattles)

Very effective bike stand, my thanks to Shaun and Click Stand

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
StuWW

Post by StuWW »

Al

Your a genius.... I have been playing with some cut down tent poles a la click-stand and was almost there, I also played with the bottom section of a telescopic walking pole.

Both of these attempts were close but no cigar!

I think your idea is great, I'm off to get a rod stand!!!! :D
http://www.midlifecyclist.me.uk/
Read about my 6000 mile cycle across the USA
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/stuwitterer
Bryan-H

Post by Bryan-H »

I've just bought a folding walking stick for less than £6, and it is similar, though stouter. I've shortened it by a couple of inches on the bottom section. A bit of inner tube for the brake, and I am set up. And I have a stick if I should hurt myself! Folds to 10" (it is aluminium). Quick delivery too. http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com
Bryan-H

Post by Bryan-H »

To save searching the website, this brings up the sticks http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/products.php?catID=6&subID=38