Suggestion to replace cycle-to-work-scheme

Phil_Lee

Re: Suggestion to replace cycle-to-work-scheme

Post by Phil_Lee »

gilesjuk wrote:I think what the OP is trying to say is that people getting a high performance road bike tax free and then continuing to drive to work is a bit pointless?

How about a scrappage scheme where you scrap a car and get a bike? :D

That would get my vote.
They could extend the current scheme so that the scrapped car gave you a voucher that could be redeemed against any form of transport that met some kind of environmental standard. If "environmental" was part of the specification, bikes would almost inevitably be included.
Si

Post by Si »

How about a scrappage scheme where you scrap a car and get a bike?

works for me. although I got a trailer as well.
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

gilesjuk wrote:How about a scrappage scheme where you scrap a car and get a bike? :D

I did suggest that to my MP when I wrote to him about the car scrappage scheme. Never got a response from that one.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bananaman wrote:
gilesjuk wrote:How about a scrappage scheme where you scrap a car and get a bike? :D

I did suggest that to my MP when I wrote to him about the car scrappage scheme. Never got a response from that one.

The CTC should buy a car crusher and then modify the crusher sides to the imprint of a bike.
The you really could scrap a car and get a bike! (Well sort of... A BSO at any rate).
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

HoWB Dave, you are in the perfect place here to do some serious market research into what it is cyclists want from a bike shop. Why not tell us who you consider your target market to be, and if it includes the demographic here, we can help you fine tune your offering to our requirements. If you are going the Raleigh dealer route (ie Cyclelife, retailing only with a narrow selection of accessories) then we might not be able to help, though, but then you're competing with Halfords and Tesco and probably won't survive anyway.

You never know, after a few pages of discussion on you as a LBS and us as consumers, something may click that changes your fortunes 8)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this has been covered.
Last time I was in The Netherlands about five years ago I was chatting with a cycle shop owner,I asked him if business was good :roll: ,he told me it was always good because to buy a bike in Holland all you have to do is give you're ID number (Nat Ins No) over the counter then take you pick.
The cost is automatically stopped out of your salary, tax free and spread over two years, interest free :shock: .
Thats one way of selling bikes to people who would perhaps use them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

GrahamNR17 wrote:HoWB Dave, you are in the perfect place here to do some serious market research into what it is cyclists want from a bike shop. Why not tell us who you consider your target market to be, and if it includes the demographic here, we can help you fine tune your offering to our requirements. If you are going the Raleigh dealer route (ie Cyclelife, retailing only with a narrow selection of accessories) then we might not be able to help, though, but then you're competing with Halfords and Tesco and probably won't survive anyway.

You never know, after a few pages of discussion on you as a LBS and us as consumers, something may click that changes your fortunes 8)

That's a nice post Graham.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:HoWB Dave, you are in the perfect place here to do some serious market research into what it is cyclists want from a bike shop.

he may get some loon giving him some duff answers - SW pawls are an essential stock item, for example. :oops:

more seriously, graham's is a very constructive post, and like horizon says, a good idea.
Velorum

Post by Velorum »

HoWB Dave wrote:(BSO's are notoriously heavy)

Light & modern = good
Heavy and old fashioned = bad?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Velorum wrote:Heavy and old fashioned = bad?

i think that's the gist. your old junky dutch thing's for the chop :wink:
Velorum

Post by Velorum »

hubgearfreak wrote:
Velorum wrote:Heavy and old fashioned = bad?

i think that's the gist. your old junky dutch thing's for the chop :wink:

Oh dear, looks like I will be on a steep learning curve.

Is it possible to touch up carbon fibre with Hammerite?
Will my Brooks B66 fit on an alloy micro adjustable seat pin?
Is it possible to part exchange my tweed jacket for a skin tight lycra one piece suit?

And thats just for starters...........
HoWB Dave

Post by HoWB Dave »

GrahamNR17 wrote:HoWB Dave, you are in the perfect place here to do some serious market research into what it is cyclists want from a bike shop. Why not tell us who you consider your target market to be, and if it includes the demographic here, we can help you fine tune your offering to our requirements. If you are going the Raleigh dealer route (ie Cyclelife, retailing only with a narrow selection of accessories) then we might not be able to help, though, but then you're competing with Halfords and Tesco and probably won't survive anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion. My store is based in mid Wales and is intended to cater for road and touring riders, in addition to the MTB'ers that Wales is better known for. The store will be doing rentals (as soon as I have assembled the hire fleet).

The brands generally reflect this touring and utility riding aspiration with Dawes, Ridgeback and Saracen currently stocked.

Incidentally the trade has picked up as the publicity has had effect and the weather brought out the bikers.

Clothing has not yet been a major part of the business and only a few basic items of clothing stocked.

The store webite is here: http://www.heartofwalesbikes.co.uk

As far as the OP is concerned I have decided not to persue it in light of comments, although that is not to say that I am changed my views on the matter :)
atoz

Post by atoz »

One of the problems of Cycle to Work is that although you might very well get a nice new bike under this scheme, there is no guarantee your employer will provide secure cycle parking facilities ie lockable room not in public view. Also, if you have to ride a fair distance, you'll be wearing cycle kit and will need to change and freshen up- which in practice means a shower.

There are some employers who have signed up to the Dept of Transport guidelines for providing such facilities, but a lot haven't. Ask yourselves why that is- they like the right-on cudos of Cycle to Work, but won't put any money to make it work. Sounds familiar, folks?

So potentially, you could have a bike under this scheme, only to have it promptly nicked. As I have a few bikes already, I'm not interested in getting anything under Cycle to Work- my ancient touring bike will do very nicely, and is by far the most practical cycle to work solution. But even then, I would only use it if there was secure cycle parking- I work in a line of work which is more likely to attract thieves.
johncharles

Post by johncharles »

atoz wrote:One of the problems of Cycle to Work is that although you might very well get a nice new bike under this scheme, there is no guarantee your employer will provide secure cycle parking facilities ie lockable room not in public view. Also, if you have to ride a fair distance, you'll be wearing cycle kit and will need to change and freshen up- which in practice means a shower.

There are some employers who have signed up to the Dept of Transport guidelines for providing such facilities, but a lot haven't. Ask yourselves why that is- they like the right-on cudos of Cycle to Work, but won't put any money to make it work. Sounds familiar, folks?

So potentially, you could have a bike under this scheme, only to have it promptly nicked. As I have a few bikes already, I'm not interested in getting anything under Cycle to Work- my ancient touring bike will do very nicely, and is by far the most practical cycle to work solution. But even then, I would only use it if there was secure cycle parking- I work in a line of work which is more likely to attract thieves.

I don't see what your points about shower facilities or having the cycle pinched has anything to do with the cycle to work scheme.
atoz

Post by atoz »

The point is that employers should not be allowed to sign up to this scheme unless they make a written undertaking which is enforceable to provide appropriate facilities- particularly if the employer is over a certain number of employees. This would stop usage of this scheme as just a PR strategy.

I bought my touring bike many years ago because I wanted to tour on it. Now it is old, I would like to use it for some limited commuting before it is retired. But I will NOT risk it being stolen just because an employer does not want to back up the scheme when they have signed up for it, and therefore I will not use my bike to ride to work until proper facilities are provided.

I think that makes my reasoning clear..