A new tourer (for a song)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
georgew

Re: A new tourer (for a song)

Post by georgew »

al_yrpal wrote:
hjd10 wrote:
Al do you want to swop? :twisted:

Howie

Nah!

I am struggling with a decision whether to shell out 40 quid on some Panaracer Pasellas - will they roll better than the no name Halfords tyres? And, whether to get a new B17? My very old Brooks broke right near the front whilst riding on a very rough 'cycle path' :( on the IOW. This will take the total spend up to £460! :?

Al

On the principle that us old yins should stick together, I have a Wrights leather saddle in my workshop that I won't be using. It's in good condition and you can have it for the postage.
PM me with your address if you want it.
MattyS

Post by MattyS »

Hi Al

I am doing my first touring trip this June and I looking at sorting myself out a reliable bike. Being a student this naturally has to be done on the cheap and I have been inspired by your post. I'm currently looking at a barely used Carrera 2 on gumtree for £175 (seems like a bit of a steal). I was just wondering if you have had any advice on whether this is a suitable option for a long tour (4 to 5 weeks) and if you've had any major problems?

Any help for a newbie like me would be greatly appreciated

Matt
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hi Matt,

If its a Carrera Subway 2. That's the same bike I have. The only must haves are mudguards and a 'disc' rack and you are in business. The mudguards are easy to fit, you need to make a little plastic spacer on the forks, and use the brazed ons inside the rear stays at the back. I have done several 500 mile tours on mine so far, its been excellent.

Good luck
Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

al_yrpal wrote:Hi Matt,

If its a Carrera Subway 2. That's the same bike I have. The only must haves are mudguards and a 'disc' rack and you are in business. The mudguards are easy to fit, you need to make a little plastic spacer on the forks, and use the brazed ons inside the rear stays at the back. I have done several 500 mile tours on mine so far, its been excellent.

Good luck
Al

I really like this idea!!!!

What kind of mudguards and racks are you using with your bike. I cannot seem to find the same mudguards.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It was a Tortek disc rack and Tortek reflector mudguards. That bike was an excellent tourer, but I have moved on now because the Mrs bought me a Salsa Vaya for my 70th birthday. I still have the rack on the Vaya though.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-super-to ... rear-rack/

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
TimP

Post by TimP »

Boy! Putting this kind of info out there will get you on the touring bike manufacturers hit list! Telling people they don't need to spend GBP2,000 just to have even a weekend trip is something well needed. (I still use the bike I got for my 11th birthday and that was 40 years ago. I am now more than 18'' inches taller now than I was then).
Basically, if your bike rides well and you feel comfortable on it, then it is suitable.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I believe I am on that list… . :shock:

But, after my initial experiences with my unstable Giant SCR3 which gyrated wildly when loaded up I moved to the Subway. It carried everything, rock solid, off road, rock solid. Finally I got the rather expensive Salsa Vaya and immediately found gyration problems again, and the vibe was that it was good off road. I have had to lighten my kit, lighten myself and redistribute the load to overcome the gyration problem. It isnt really a real off road bike either. Its OK for things like canal banks, made up bridleways and forestry fire roads but useless for the natural forest bridleways and tracks that we have around here. The Vaya was a birthday present so I have got to stick with it but I am always on the lookout for a decent barely used Subway.

Al
Nebulous

Post by Nebulous »

My Subway 2 kitted out for seven day tour on Welsh bridleways. A fantastic budget bike.

IMG_20200623_140502791_DRO.jpg
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
irc

Post by irc »

al_yrpal wrote:
I would be very interested to know if anyone has made rolling resistance measurements between 700C's and 26"?

Al

There was a guy on Crazyguyonabike - Harry Moore (RIP) who had identical Bruce Gordon tourers built. One a 26" and one a 700c. He found no difference in average speeds. I believe that assuming similar riding positions and similar tyres (slightly wider on the 26 ti compensate for smaller circumference) will result in the same speeds.

In other words tyres matter far more than wheel size. Get a pair of 26x2 Marathon Supremes like I had on an mTB commuter and it is fast while also being great on poor surfaces.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/bo ... d=0#146625
pwa

Post by pwa »

irc wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
I would be very interested to know if anyone has made rolling resistance measurements between 700C's and 26"?

Al

There was a guy on Crazyguyonabike - Harry Moore (RIP) who had identical Bruce Gordon tourers built. One a 26" and one a 700c. He found no difference in average speeds. I believe that assuming similar riding positions and similar tyres (slightly wider on the 26 ti compensate for smaller circumference) will result in the same speeds.

In other words tyres matter far more than wheel size. Get a pair of 26x2 Marathon Supremes like I had on an mTB commuter and it is fast while also being great on poor surfaces.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/bo ... d=0#146625

26" wheels are smaller but folk often put tyres with more depth on them, which must bring the circumference closer to 700c wheels with lower depth tyres, in which case the rolling advantage of the larger wheel would be reduced or nullified. It is with narrower tyres that 26" wheels would be at a significant disadvantage. At least, that is how I see it.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jan Marten wrote:My Subway 2 kitted out for seven day tour on Welsh bridleways. A fantastic budget bike.

IMG_20200623_140502791_DRO.jpg

The bike looks good, but where was the pic taken?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I have learnt some thing here. never use photobucket they dont deserve any ones patronage
Nebulous

Post by Nebulous »

Knucklas Castle (remains of) 52.363766° N, -3.103393° W

Day 1 (travelling east to west) of the Trans Cambrian Way.
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jan Marten wrote:

Knucklas Castle (remains of) 52.363766° N, -3.103393° W

Day 1 (travelling east to west) of the Trans Cambrian Way.

Ah, right, I did think it looked like that area. I was last in that area when we were walking on the Offa's Dyke Path, not far away. It's a lovely area. But lumpy.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There is a chart somewhere* that shows actual circumference of whole wheel with different rim size and different tyre size. It does show that skinny 700s are same or even smaller circumference than fatter 26s. (* On phone at mo so not searching for it.)

I remember using it in a discussion where someone was saying 700s much better rolling, etc as they had larger circumference. I pointed out that plenty of fat 26s have bigger circumference.