26" touring tyres?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
3spd

26" touring tyres?

Post by 3spd »

I use Schwalbe Marathons 26 x 1.5's at the mo but at 660g they are a bit on the sluggish side. :(

On my next tour, 5 day road tourin France, I can get all my kit into 2 x 10l panniers and a small dry bag. :D

So I'm thinking of lighter tyres what do you recommend? :?
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
rualexander

Re: 26" touring tyres?

Post by rualexander »

Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 26x1.75
see here
Great tyres, 500g, or the 26x1.5 are 460g and would be fine on road, the 1.75 version gives extra comfort if going on tracks etc.
Last edited by rualexander on 29 Apr 2010, 8:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

oh yeah, I forgot to mention I PREFER black side walls!! :mrgreen:

Anyone tried the Maxxis Detonator's?
Last edited by 3spd on 29 Apr 2010, 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
toontra

Post by toontra »

I use these - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18822

Lighter than Marathons, better rolling than any other 1.75 26" tyre I've used, last for years and I've never had a p******e. What more can I say!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I'll second the Panaracers x 1.75", just fitted them to my bike and they are absolutely brilliant, even doing some off road on Cotswold bridleways on Tuesday. I am not keen on the tan sidewalls which get stained by aluminium brake dust in time. But my bike has discs, so no such problem.

Read the epistle on 26" touring tyres in this Thorn brochure. Marathon Supreme x 2" come second on page 6 http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/Thorn ... oLoRes.pdf . Ordinary Marathons don't come out so good.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I tried Conti Travel Contacts a few years ago but had a bad experience with the sidewall splitting after only about 400 miles, with no obvious cause, and on contacting the UK distributor they didn't want to know. I assume though that it was a one off incident because a lot of people seem to find them good. It is however a slightly heavier tyre than the one that 3spd is replacing so might not be what they are looking for.
I also like Specialized Nimbus 26x1.5 which is 530g and good value http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... 92822.html
meic

Post by meic »

For such lightweight touring on good roads I would take the plunge and go for 28mm Ultragators.
Your rims would have to be 19mm inside dimension or less for these to fit.

You will still have the Marathons for doing rough stuff but after using the Ultragators will begrudge putting them back on. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
freebooter

Post by freebooter »

I was going to post a similar question. I currently have Specialized Nimbus Armadillos 1.5" that I thought would be fine for a long time as there is still several mm of tread, however, I noticed the other day that the tread is starting to peel off one of them.

I had been attracted to the Panaracer tyres because of the lower weight. The Pasala is often recommended but the Ribmo also looks interesting.

My planned use would be mainly roads and sustran style cycle paths.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've used Pasela and they're fine but my favourites (I've used them for 15 years on my MTB, and currently tour with 26" wheels) is Specialized Fatboys. Slick, will take 100psi, durable and black-walled. They don't have puncture protection but I get few punctures in them.You don't need tread on a tyre unless you're cycling through deep mud, and it's not much good on that "surface" anyway.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

I found some vittoria randonneur tyres in a 26x1.5 for £10 a pop in Decathlon - they seem pretty solid. Hope so anyway, they're off round Europe for three months in a few weeks time :D
Robert

Post by Robert »

I used Pasella 26x1.5 on the tandem last summer, I found them a bit sluggish, but that was probably comparing to the 700cX28 Pasella's that I've got on my solo Galaxy, that were rated to 105psi. I've just bought 26x1.25 which I haven't put on yet. I'll let you know how I get on with them. I measured the rims and they're 17mm, so 1.25 is probably a better fit than 1.5 or the 1.75 Marathons that it was supplied with. The 1.5s certainly looked a bit bulbous on the rim.
songsforpolarbears

Re: 26" touring tyres? (on a Kona Smoke)

Post by songsforpolarbears »

Hi everyone,

I have a query on this subject.

I have a Kona Smoke. It has 26" slick tyres on but they are very wide and heavy. I was thinking of buying one of the following:

- Nutrak Slick Mountain Bike Road Tyre 26"x1.25
- Schwalbe City Jet - MTB Bike Road Slick Tyres 26 x 1.5
- Konnekt Slick Sport Mountain Bike Road Tyre 26"x1.50"

Any advice, folks? I have a full pannier set, but only use it, fully packed with clothing, for about 4 days a year. Is there a general weight you can carry with 1.25 tyres? I don't wanna ruin my bike. Maybe 1.5 would be safer.

Also, did I have to measure the rims on my Kona to make sure these tyres would fit?

Many thanks, guys. Any help would be much appreciated!

Gav