Route Advice Tongue / Bettyhill area

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Geofff

Route Advice Tongue / Bettyhill area

Post by Geofff »

I have been wondering about using the B873 / 871 from Altnaharra to Bettyhill rather than the A836 to Tongue and then on to Bettyhill on the grounds that it will be quieter. Has anyone else used this road? I have a road atlas rather than OS map so no real idea of gradients.
Thanks for the comments on my previous post by the way
Big T

Re: Route Advice Tongue / Bettyhill area

Post by Big T »

We road from Bettyhill to Altnaharra using the Strathnaver valley road last year. It's only single track, but there's hardly any traffic on it. Just a few tourists doing the Strathnaver trail and one or two locals. I think 5 cars passed us in an hour. The scenery is breathtaking and it's more or less flat until you get to Bettyhill itself, as the road runs alongside the river for most of its length.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I haven't done it, but was in Tongue last year in lovely weather and if you've not seen it, I would recommend that you do. I thought it really really spectacular.
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

I don't think there's such a thing as a busy route in that area. The rush hour comprises three cars and a tractor instead of just the tractor! You'll probably see more bikes than motor vehicles
Retired and loving it
peterm

Post by peterm »

Altnaharra to Bettyhill is absolutely brilliant. Flat and with tremendous scenery. Photos of this route can be seen on my blog as I cycled up it on my own two years ago and then back down it with my wife a week later on the way back to Cornwall.. Have cycled this valley 3 times on end to end trips and love it. Stop at the Crask Inn if you can.If you do go to Tongue stay at the Youth Hostel which is brilliant-I stayed there last year when cycling coast of Britain-photos again on website.
http://www.petermaddern.weebly.com
enigmatic

Post by enigmatic »

Both routes are excellent and you'll see hardly a car on either until you get to the coast road (maybe an odd tractor or animal!). As others have indicated, the Strathnaver valley is a wonderful road and an experience you won't forget if the weather is good. Just remember those poor unfortunates who were driven away during the highland clearances.
PW

Post by PW »

Even the coast road traffic is minimal. The coast section is hilly west of Strathy, from there to JOG is more or less dead flat.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
alans

Post by alans »

I reckon the Strathnaver valley is in the top three routes I have ever ridden & certainly a highlight of my E2E.
boink

Post by boink »

Yeah, go to Tongue. Great Hostel but beware of rip off pubs. We paid over a tenner for a ropey cod and a few big chips! The climb up Bettyhill is a nice last challenge to face on LEJOG in my opinion and riding along the coast generally is great.