How & how much to send a wheel to a purchaser ??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Graham

How & how much to send a wheel to a purchaser ??

Post by Graham »

This rear wheel came off my Roberts Audax about 8-years ago when I shimergo'd

Campag Chorus hub ( circa 2000 ). ( several thousand miles use )
Mavic CXP-33 rim ( 1500 miles use - a replacement for an Ambrosio Balance rim which cracked around the spoke holes ).
Sapim spokes
Rebuild by . . .whoever Chas Roberts used to build wheels around that time 2002-ish

The cassette is a Miche replacement, 9-speed, 28-11t which has done a few thousand miles.

I was thinking of offering for £45 for pickup in Petersfield Hampshire.
I only have an indication that may cost between £10 - £15 to pack and post ( or courier ).

Has anyone any information about "sending wheels" ?
Wheel4.JPG
Wheel6.JPG
thirdcrank

Re: How & how much to send a wheel to a purchaser ??

Post by thirdcrank »

I sent somebody one last year and used the post office. I can't really remember much about packing it, except that I put it in a box, packed it well and took it to the post office.

That was where the fun began because the wheel was slightly free to move within the box and so was not easy to weigh.

The big advantages of the Post Office / Royal Mail are that the charges are on the www and they have offices all over.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Big cardboard box.

Probably easier by courier.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I sent a pair of wheels by interparcel. They arrange a courier to pick up but you will have to box them up and print off the shipping labels. They were very efficient and cheaper than royal mail.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Will be about £8 by post office. Parceltogo will be about £5 I think. last one I sent with no cassette was around the £6.50 mark at the P.O.
Be aware if the cassette is used it may skip on your chain or even on a new chain so may not be of any value.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I sent two wheels off a few weeks ago and used the local Post Office. From memory,each wheel cost about £9.50 each and they were fairly heavy with S/A hubgears. I scrounged some old cardboard from work and made the boxes. All quite painless really.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

sent a 700c 145oln rear wheel with no cassette or skewer but with a lightish knobbly tyre fitted last week. I used local post office and it cost just under £10 for 48 hour delivery.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks for all your information so far.

Regarding the wear on the cassette. I seem to get 20-30 thousand miles out of my cassettes. This one is hardly worn by my standards **

** Fair-weather cyclist : Regular chain cleaning : Chainwear closely monitored
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I sold a pair a couple of years ago, and used cling film!

I cut some cardboard into 4 or 5 inch strips and curved it around between the wheels to hold them apart, then used cling film to wrap them together. In the end, I had a solid and strong disc that I could then wrap in brown paper. I made sure that there was some cardboard pads on the axle ends so the brown paper didn't puncture.

I addressed it, and took it down to the post office. Sorry, can't remember the price, but it was very reasonable.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

royal mail would be £4.41 for up to 2kg, £7.06 for 2-4kg both with £41 insurance included (if packing properly It might be a struggle to get it under 2kg) An extra £1 buys you £100 insurance.
Advantages is that you can drop it off yourself & the job is done. Disadvantage is that it can take 4- 5 days to deliver.

Couriers, Parcel Monkey is £6.87 with £50 insurance incl.
parcel2go is £7.04 with £50 insurance incl.
Advantages; quicker delivery & trackable service with signature on delivery. Disadvantage; you have to wait in until the courier arrives which could be anywhere from 8am to 7pm!
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Don't take it to a small post office. They are frequently run by jobsworths who won't take anything that won't fit through their "hatch", even if it is well within the laid-down size limits. They could open the door and take it, but...no.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rogerzilla wrote: ... They are frequently run by jobsworths ...

It's a specified part of the work experience required to become a GP's receptionist. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our Post Office is small, but they are lovely people and do a fantastic job. Mary, Steve and the staff are an asset to our community and not at all "Jobsworth".

The wheels I posted were passed through the door.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

It's wheely encouraging to hear that that some places have a bespoke post office and haven't lost their bearings in this increasingly tyring world..
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

thirdcrank wrote:
rogerzilla wrote: ... They are frequently run by jobsworths ...

It's a specified part of the work experience required to become a GP's receptionist. :wink:

Mick F wrote:Our Post Office is small, but they are lovely people and do a fantastic job. Mary, Steve and the staff are an asset to our community and not at all "Jobsworth".

The wheels I posted were passed through the door.

I think I'd rather have a surly but efficient member of staff - I hate those friendly chatty people who are soooo slow because they insist on talking to every customer - usually at a volume which allows the whole shop to hear what's being said

"Hello Mary, how are you today. How's the incontinence problem, still dribbling, that'll be £2, has Tom still got that nasty rash? and there's your stamps dearie"

I feel like shouting "Shut up and get on with your job"
Retired and loving it