Early June no accommodation booked

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
lowrider

Early June no accommodation booked

Post by lowrider »

What is it like to get accommodation on route early June with nothing booked. I do not want a rigid plan but would pick up accommodation or camp would on route for flexibility daily distance around 70mls average. I am thinking of a west coast route through Wales Glasgow or through Arran to oban and Inverness but again not fixed.
peterm

Re: Early June no accommodation booked

Post by peterm »

I've spent the last three summers doing end to ends on various routes. Only booked up as I went along and had no real probs. Look up http://www.independenthostels.co.uk I highly recommend the Arran route it's brilliant.
There are lots of official youth hostels and they will book the next night ahead for you free of charge. Lots of very good indep hostels inc in Oban-you can read of my Glasgow wedding party incident on my round Britain coast ride last year. If you are also carrying a tent you should have few probs in June. I don't like to be tied down too far in advance as well as you.
http://www.petermaddern.weebly.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had many problems booking, so my advice is to get on the phone asap. YHA accommodation is difficult. B+B is easier, but be prepared to spend hours on the phone with a long list of places and ideas. I was booking three months ago for my JOGLE next week and had terrible problems.
Mick F. Cornwall
Craigsmith

Post by Craigsmith »

We started boooking accomodation for our august LEJOG in february and couldn't get all the places we wanted to stop at. Youth Hostels were filling quick and Loch Lomond was already full.
alans

Post by alans »

Only my first night in Feswick was pre-booked.
I did my E2E a month earlier than you & used a one hostel,three hotels,two pubs & B&B's with no problems at all.Each night except one was a result at the first attempt & the exception took a second attempt.
Being a month earlier perhaps made some difference but I think being solo was a big reason for having no problems.
vernon

Post by vernon »

I'd not worry too much if you intend camping every night. However you might have difficulty finding accommodate in some popular spots. I recall passing through Fort William on my LEJOG and seeing 'no vacancies' signs in every window of every B&B establishment that I cycled past.
drpeterharris

Post by drpeterharris »

Only places we had problems booking (4 months in advance) were Tarbert on the Mull of Kintyre as our arrival coincides with a big regatta at a bank holiday weekend and St Ives who were so "up themselves" that they would not accept single night bookings! I did finally find somewhere near St Ives (The Badger Inn at Lelant)

All now booked and we are starting a week today - see www.macjogle.co.uk.

Peter
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Wife and I just completed LeJog in April and B&B most of the way. I took a 900gram netbook which along with my phone gave me Internet access. We were able to book just one or two days ahead using these 'tools', but even in April it wasn't always plain sailing. June could well be difficult, but ringing ahead may be an advantage as I suspect some B&B places show 'no vacancies' whether or not they are actually full. Maybe they want to avoid passers by - who knows?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey