Cycle Touring essentials

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
al_yrpal

Cycle Touring essentials

Post by al_yrpal »

In discussion with a pal yesterday, poring over our packing lists, he came up with two things I missed - toilet paper and a flat universal sink plug!

Any more oddities?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
lisap

Re: Cycle Touring essentials

Post by lisap »

Depends on what else is on your list really but I second the loo paper and plug.

In an emergency I have used a piece of plastic bag and stuffed the bottom of a small wash bottle in the hole to make a plug.

As to the other kind of emergency I can't possibly comment :lol:
lukepinkhandbag

Post by lukepinkhandbag »

anti- bacterial hand wash for public conveniences. I use an Ortlieb toilet roll holder for its convenience. Wet wipes are always handy. Small piece of pack towel in handlebar bag to wipe sweat away before dripping it over super marche/bar floor. I made my own travel wash line by buying 3 metres of thin shock cord and plaiting it. Ortlieb knife, but not stainless steel so easily sharpened on convenient rock. Small tub of sudocreme and small bottle of Cuticura talc.
b1galus

Post by b1galus »

leccie plundering kit to charge all those ipods and phones
myheadsashed

Post by myheadsashed »

vaseline - for chapped lips/face, for chaffing, add to cotton wool to make a fire lighter and be used to lube cables.
james01

Post by james01 »

Plastic cutlery and paper plates. This makes the difference when you buy a picnic lunch from a deli or supermarket .
Tako

Post by Tako »

+1 vaseline and cotton balls. If you are on the road for longer than a week, a proper nail clipper.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Toilet paper is bulky and vulnerable to getting wet in bad weather, a couple of packs of Kleenex Pocket tissues kept in a 'ziplock' plastic bag is a good alternative, 4-ply is best as you can peel the plys apart and have four sheets of paper, one pack can last a week or more! Or to be even more economical, or in an emergency, adopt the asian method of left hand and water!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Disposable gloves for when you have to fix that puncture - free at petrol stations near the pumps.
:lol:
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

rualexander wrote:Toilet paper is bulky and vulnerable to getting wet in bad weather, a couple of packs of Kleenex Pocket tissues kept in a 'ziplock' plastic bag is a good alternative, 4-ply is best as you can peel the plys apart and have four sheets of paper, one pack can last a week or more! Or to be even more economical, or in an emergency, adopt the asian method of left hand and water!

matt2matt2002 wrote:Disposable gloves for when you have to fix that puncture - free at petrol stations near the pumps.
:lol:

Disposable gloves and the Asian method seem to go together!
Retired and loving it
Ron

Post by Ron »

al_yrpal wrote: I missed - toilet paper and a flat universal sink plug!

I never take toilet paper with me from home, but when on tour always retain the serviettes after a visit to cafes and restaurants. :wink:
markenduro

Post by markenduro »

[quote=] toilet paper and a flat universal sink plug![/quote]

Sounds like you have all eventualities covered there.

Worth carrying some antibacterial hand gel, cable ties and insulating tape.
I also fit spare bolts into all unused bottle bosses, rack mounts etc in case any vital ones work loose and are lost.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Pepto-Bismol
foxy12

Post by foxy12 »

Outdoor shops sell small rolls of Duck Tape which is useful for mending a variety of things. I always take a Victornox Swiss Card as well which has scissors, knife, tweezers and a pen. It fits in a wallet. And don't forget a small sewing kit. If you are going to Scotland also take midge repellent as your trip can be ruined by these small flying insects.
lukepinkhandbag

Post by lukepinkhandbag »

Toilet paper is bulky and vulnerable to getting wet in bad weather, .....That's why I have one of these http://www.facewest.co.uk/Ortlieb-Toile ... older.html