Do You Gawp?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Terry T

Do You Gawp?

Post by Terry T »

I can quite happily walk past what some people would term a "nice" (flash?) car, paying it no attention whatsoever, but I will stop and ogle a bicycle I like the look of.
Is it just me that likes not only the functionality of a bicycle, but the form as well?
I can admire a filthy workaday bike as much as a pristine example as long as it "looks" right.
Am I completely bonkers?
Jac

Post by Jac »

Yes!

But I know what you mean - theres something aesthetically pleasing about a well designed bicycle. Its 'form follows function' and all that stuff. They just look right - as if they are just ready for a long journey.
hubgearfreak

Re: Do You Gawp?

Post by hubgearfreak »

Terry T wrote:Am I completely bonkers?

obviously, but you're in good company :D

this may help :wink:

http://www.cyclofiend.com/index.html
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.

You're not bonkers.

Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Terry T,
Yes of course your bonkers nice though innit :0)
I know exactly what you mean,I love a good roadster or a nicely loaded tourer, then of coures there's tandems, beautiful, beautiful...............nurse,nurse,I think i'm ready for my medication now.......

Mick F yes he is bonkers and so are you,c'mon lad own up to it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh, all right then, yes , I am bonkers ...

Have you read http://lejogandback.blogspot.com by the way?

Thought I'd just slip that one in. Next episode next week ...

Mick F. Cornwall
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

My god, Your right. I have never thought of how I look at bikes. No matter if they are new or old.

Everyone I know who drives, only look at new cars in that way.

Funny, Another reason why cyclist have a better outlook on life!

And the importance of it!
jb

Post by jb »

I went past a red Farrari yesterday but when I got up to it it it said "For sale replica Farrari 3 million brake horse bla bla built from Toyota pram or whatever"

Whats the point

Eventually you have to admit "well actually dear its only a replica"

If you can't own the real thing don't bother. I'd rather own a class cycle than a fake car any day.
Cheers
J Bro
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

Thanks for the site hubgearfreak, but boy, am I in trouble with the Missus as I now spend most of my non-cycling time LOOKING at bikes.(She isn't as keen a cyclist as me, and doesn't understand!).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Isn't it funny how you can "see" a good bike from a mile off? The paint scheme, the wheels, the chainset ... it all sparkles and attracts the eye ...
aaaahhhh ...

Some people just don't understand!

Mick F. Cornwall
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Mick F wrote:Isn't it funny how you can "see" a good bike from a mile off? The paint scheme, the wheels, the chainset ... it all sparkles and attracts the eye ...
aaaahhhh ...

Mick F. Cornwall

Okay, I confess I look at the odd bike too, but Mick you have to get this in perspective, shoes, handbags, then bikes! :roll:
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Even though I drive, cars don't interest me at all. Flash cars don't make me want to stop and look at them. For me its motorcycles, I love them and I will stop to admire a good bicycle, trike or recumbent too. At least I have the benefit of knowing that I'm mad, my ex mother outlaw has told me!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mrs Tortoise wrote:
Mick F wrote:Isn't it funny how you can "see" a good bike from a mile off? The paint scheme, the wheels, the chainset ... it all sparkles and attracts the eye ...
aaaahhhh ...

Mick F. Cornwall

Okay, I confess I look at the odd bike too, but Mick you have to get this in perspective, shoes, handbags, then bikes! :roll:

Ah, the the important things,the female perspective. Wearing shoes whilst carrying a handbag looking at a bike leaning on the window of a shoe and handbag shop and looking at the handbags and shoes first,then looking at the bike.I realise one has to keep things in perspective MrsT, from the female perspective as it were.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

reohn2 wrote:
Mrs Tortoise wrote:
aaaahhhh ...

Mick F. Cornwall

Ah, the the important things,the female perspective. Wearing shoes whilst carrying a handbag looking at a bike leaning on the window of a shoe and handbag shop and looking at the handbags and shoes first,then looking at the bike.I realise one has to keep things in perspective MrsT, from the female perspective as it were.

Very good r2, are you sure you're not a politician? :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mrs Tortoise wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Mrs Tortoise wrote:
aaaahhhh ...

Mick F. Cornwall

Very good r2, are you sure you're not a politician? :wink:

Quite sure,and I'm sure you're a woman.
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Feb 2007, 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.