Cheap and light tent?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hjd10

Cheap and light tent?

Post by hjd10 »

Hello,
I'm looking for a cheap and lightish tent to use with my son for occasional summer campimg.
I'm thinking of the Highlander Jura or the Gelert Nakina as they are single hoop designs and small enough if I want to do cycle camping on my own. The Jura is a pitch fly 1st also which is a bit better if it rains.

Any thoughs or experiences with either?

Thanks

Howie
vernon

Re: Cheap and light tent?

Post by vernon »

hjd10 wrote:

Thanks

Howie

I suspect that you will find both tents too small. At the bottom end of the price range, manufacturers have to use lower spec materials and less of each of them. This manifests itself as a less durable tent with fibreglass poles and flysheets which are waterproof only in light to moderate rain.

On the size front, I'd aim to purchase a 3 man tent and look at the Vango range - a Banshee 300 will fit the bill but will cost around £80
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

To be honest, cheap tents are fine, but don't expect to be robust. I had a Gelert Solo and the fibreglass pole section frayed under too much pressure at the stress point, total rubbish.

I decided to get a Laser Comp for the money spent, but I did get a Vango Banshee 300 in the sale last year for £50, a bargain. I would go for the Vango or Coleman stuff, if only a bit of cash extra.
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

vernon wrote:I suspect that you will find both tents too small. On the size front, I'd aim to purchase a 3 man tent

Why would you aim for a 3 man tent Vernon?
Just Rob please.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

A 2 man tent is generally big enough for 2 men to sleep, but doesn't have enough room for extra gear in the inner, or for 2 men to do anything else at the same time other than sleep, You'd end up taking turns to get dressed, one would cook and the other would roll to the edge to stay out of the way, etc.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at some of the tents that have been suggested. :wink:

Howie
dobo

Post by dobo »

hi
i bought a 2 manner tent from yeomansoutdoors only 40 quid,weights 1.7kg have a look
graymee

Post by graymee »

How light does it need to be and how many people are going to sleep in it? Sue and I use a Coleman Coastline 2. It's heavyish at 4.7 Kg but packs down relatively small to fit in my Revolution single wheel trailer. Plenty of room for two to sleep and lots of space at the front for panniers etc. It pitches flysheet first too.

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/coleman-coastline-2-man-person-camping-tent
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
maskell

Post by maskell »

I just bought a vaude taurus ii (this one actually means 2 + room for gear when it says two man which is important for me since I'm 6"3'). It arrived last week and I'm happy with it. Good price, size space, weight etc. It's also laughably easy to put up and a nice environment to spend some time in. Only negative I can see so far is that it does have quite a large pack size. (Not a problem for me as it's going n the rack in a dry bag between two panniers but worth noting).

I got mine from field and trek for £110 plus a tyvek groundsheet substitute from ebay for a couple of quid. Very pleased with it.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

maskell wrote:I just bought a vaude taurus ii (this one actually means 2 + room for gear when it says two man which is important for me since I'm 6"3'). It arrived last week and I'm happy with it. Good price, size space, weight etc. It's also laughably easy to put up and a nice environment to spend some time in. Only negative I can see so far is that it does have quite a large pack size. (Not a problem for me as it's going n the rack in a dry bag between two panniers but worth noting).

I got mine from field and trek for £110 plus a tyvek groundsheet substitute from ebay for a couple of quid. Very pleased with it.

I have a Vaude Taurus Ultralight which is 2 man and just about right for single touring giving enough space inside and in the small porch for all your gear panniers etc. Dead easy to put up and pack away. Was thinking of getting something slightly larger such as a Vango Spirit 200+ which has a larger porch and good reviews, but haven't yet as I am still thinking the Vaude Taurus Ultralight is more than enough really. Nice tents though.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

vernon wrote:
hjd10 wrote:

Thanks

Howie

I suspect that you will find both tents too small. At the bottom end of the price range, manufacturers have to use lower spec materials and less of each of them. This manifests itself as a less durable tent with fibreglass poles and flysheets which are waterproof only in light to moderate rain.

On the size front, I'd aim to purchase a 3 man tent and look at the Vango range - a Banshee 300 will fit the bill but will cost around £80

Having read this thread and others, I splashed out and bought a Vango Banshee 300, which arrived today. Very pleased so far, but I used online instructions for putting up the 2009 model...

It is now completely different and assembles out-then-in!
groberts

Post by groberts »

I too purchased a Vango Banshee 300 during the winter sales for£50! I have been using it recently, including under icy conditions during April, and have found it to be excellent - indeed for any price under £100 it is incredible value. Reckon it would be a bit too cosy for three (though dooable) but for less than that it is very roomy + lots of space for storage inside and around the tent between the inner and fly tents. The two doors are also a very useful feature. At the time I looked at much more expensive tents but it is difficult to see how spending another £100 – £300 can do a lot better, unless you’re heading for the arctic, this is a great tent at superb value + just right for cycle touring.

As my previous tents date from back when dinosaurs roamed the earth this modern style of tent (materials & design) is something of a revelation. As a result I struggled at first putting it up but have now got it down to fine art:

1. Insert both poles
2. Peg out front and back guys to get the tent up – will need to be re-pegged on completion (see later)
3. Loosely peg out selected points of tent to give it shape
4. Connect the lower clips of the inner tent to the outer / fly sheet i.e. whist the tent is still loose so you don’t have to pull / force them to fit
5. Connect the upper toggles of the inner tent to the outer tent
6. Clip the tent to the poles
7. Re-peg all the outer tent this time so that it is under tension
8. Peg all guys to give the tent full tension

Sounds complicated but once you’ve done it a couple of times it all makes sense and doesn’t take long; if it is wet then after point (5) you can put your stuff inside to keep it dry. Nutsey - hope that helps.
irc

Post by irc »

Another possibility. £60, 2kg weight, Alu poles. The size looks like a spacious i man tent but OK for occasional two person use. Decathlon tents get good reviews.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/t2-ultral ... o-3244110/
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You asked why a 3 man tent when only 2 of you.

Space is pretty important in a tent when cycling. Not only do you need enough room for two to live and sleep, but you also need storage for (probably) 4 panniers and your (possibly wet) cycling clothes. My lovely (but expensive) Saunders Spacepacker Plus (a 'two' man tent) has back and front porches - one for 'living' one for storing wet clothes, panniers, etc. Even though its supposedly a two man tent, I would hate to use it for two in wet conditions.

Before you buy, get the floor plan of the tent, mark it out in your lounge and have a play in it. Then you can see whether it will be big enough. Alternatively, only go camping in dry and warm weather.

.................but, enjoy!
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

groberts wrote:I too purchased a Vango Banshee 300 during the winter sales for£50! I have been using it recently, including under icy conditions during April, and have found it to be excellent - indeed for any price under £100 it is incredible value. Reckon it would be a bit too cosy for three (though dooable) but for less than that it is very roomy + lots of space for storage inside and around the tent between the inner and fly tents. The two doors are also a very useful feature. At the time I looked at much more expensive tents but it is difficult to see how spending another £100 – £300 can do a lot better, unless you’re heading for the arctic, this is a great tent at superb value + just right for cycle touring.

As my previous tents date from back when dinosaurs roamed the earth this modern style of tent (materials & design) is something of a revelation. As a result I struggled at first putting it up but have now got it down to fine art:

1. Insert both poles
2. Peg out front and back guys to get the tent up – will need to be re-pegged on completion (see later)
3. Loosely peg out selected points of tent to give it shape
4. Connect the lower clips of the inner tent to the outer / fly sheet i.e. whist the tent is still loose so you don’t have to pull / force them to fit
5. Connect the upper toggles of the inner tent to the outer tent
6. Clip the tent to the poles
7. Re-peg all the outer tent this time so that it is under tension
8. Peg all guys to give the tent full tension

Sounds complicated but once you’ve done it a couple of times it all makes sense and doesn’t take long; if it is wet then after point (5) you can put your stuff inside to keep it dry. Nutsey - hope that helps.

Interesting. Is yours the 2010 or 2009 model? They changed the pole system so they are quite different in terms of assembly order.

Reassuring that you have a system of clipping the two layers partially first. I was contemplating doing this next time :)

The only aspect of the tent i'm uneaasy about is porch size. I couldn't properly test it in my front room but it seems small and exposed. There is plenty of room between the two layers for storage but not in one big space.