Somethings been puzzling me

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
stevew

Post by stevew »

Charlie wrote:I'm surprised nobody's yet asked the ever popular question......

Why are they called "clipless pedals" when you clip in and out of them?

Watch out.......................troll warning!!
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

'cos they don't have toe clips! Next question... :roll:
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mrs Tortoise wrote:'cos they don't have toe clips! Next question... :roll:
Even I knew that one and I'm only a man! :P :lol:
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

It's surprising how many times that question's asked on forums.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

stevew wrote:
Charlie wrote:I'm surprised nobody's yet asked the ever popular question......

Why are they called "clipless pedals" when you clip in and out of them?

Watch out.......................troll warning!!

Attaboy Steve, that's one way to get your post count up. :roll:
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Charlie wrote:It's surprising how many times that question's asked on forums.

Does that make this a five-um? :wink:
stevew

Post by stevew »

OK charlie......I'm sorry, but it just seemed a little "off the wall" when we were talking about Tyres and wheels!
As was mentioned earlier, clipless because there are no (toe)clips. I suppose it made good sense early on but now that the SPD type thing is so common place that it seems like a strange misnomer.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

stevew wrote:OK charlie......I'm sorry, but it just seemed a little "off the wall" when we were talking about Tyres and wheels!
As was mentioned earlier, clipless because there are no (toe)clips. I suppose it made good sense early on but now that the SPD type thing is so common place that it seems like a strange misnomer.

No problemo Steve :D

Some of my humour is an aquired taste. :shock:
robbo

Post by robbo »

LOOK called theirs "safety pedals" when they first introduced them( 20 odd years ago now :shock: )
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Jac wrote:It has to be men that devised such complicated 'systems' for measuring wheels and tyres.:

if it was a woman, there'd be big ones and small ones. either all black or with yellow sides. narrow, medium and wide :lol: :wink: :P
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

hubgearfreak wrote:
Jac wrote:It has to be men that devised such complicated 'systems' for measuring wheels and tyres.:

if it was a woman, there'd be big ones and small ones. either all black or with yellow sides. narrow, medium and wide :lol: :wink: :P

And what is wrong with that? By the way, you forgot red and black ones, and blue ones. Be no good sending you shopping! :roll:
Jac

Post by Jac »

Stevew - thank you for the clearest explaination of how to buy tyres.

In one bike shop I know you might as well ask for big ones, small ones , red ones or green ones -
and the standard question is 'what do you want them for'
stevew

Post by stevew »

Jac, if you let me know the size you have on your bike now and the use you want to put the new ones to i may be able to help with some recommendations. Obviously you don't have to follow them but it will give you some ammo when approaching the LBS.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mrs Tortoise wrote:[quote Be no good sending you shopping! :roll:

:lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think this is time to say a word in support of Schwalbe. Although it would be wrong to say they make all the tyres in all the sizes, (with apologies to BT and Maureen L) they do make a huge range of tyres covering just about all the sizes and they are always quick to produce something more if it is needed. E.g. the Marathon has been extended to include Brompton size, Birdy size, and it is still readily available in 27 x 1 1/4 which was a peculiarly British size, introduced by Dunlop (remember them?) as a prtectionist measure to keep the foreigners out of the UK market.

They produce versions which may not be bombproof but certainly resist punctures. And to suit the ladies above (and indeed the laydees) many are produced in various colours.