Morris Brothers, Pontypridd, late 19th century

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ed

Morris Brothers, Pontypridd, late 19th century

Post by Ed »

Can anyone provide me with information about Morris Brothers Cycle manufacturers, based in Pontypridd 1880s-1900s? The brothers were William Morgan Morris and John C Morgan - joined later by Frederick D Morris. I have an advert for the company from the 1890s, which states that the company manufactured and sold its own designs and acted as CTC-approved repairers. It also claims that they were pioneers of the bicycling industry in South Wales. One of my ancestors married William Morgan Morris. I've tried the National Cycling Museum at Llandrindod Wells but to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated.
mikeo

Re:Morris Brothers, Pontypridd, late 19th century

Post by mikeo »

Try Pontypridd Library (Tel 01443/486850) or Pontypridd Museum (Tel 01443/490748)who are also on www.pontypriddmuseum.org.uk. Mr.Brian Davies of the latter has very good local historical knowledge.Best of luck!
Ed

Re:Morris Brothers, Pontypridd, late 19th century

Post by Ed »

Thanks Mikeo. I've already been in touch with the library and the museum at Pontypridd. Unfortunately, both could offer only very little, though the museum did recommend an interesting book about Victorian Pontypridd by Don Powell in which several passing references were made to the brothers' commercial activities.
If anyone's interested, I have a wonderful illustrated advert for the Brothers' company, which I will email on request.
ejmantl1

Re: Morris Brothers, Pontypridd, late 19th century

Post by ejmantl1 »

Hi Ed
Did you manage to find out any information? I own the house in Pontypridd where I assume they worked as there is a plaque on the wall out side
cavasta

Re: Morris Brothers, Pontypridd, late 19th century

Post by cavasta »

ejmantl1 wrote:Hi Ed
Did you manage to find out any information? I own the house in Pontypridd where I assume they worked as there is a plaque on the wall out side

See the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64229&p=834581#p834581