Warning on crud road race mudguards

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mrs Tortoise

Warning on crud road race mudguards

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

I had a front mudguard explode when riding on a newly gritted road, as the clearance between tyre and mudguard is very small. So if you've fitted these to a road bike, be careful on grit.
531colin

Re: Warning on crud road race mudguards

Post by 531colin »

This probably applies to anything with a very small clearance http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37914
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Well it could of been worse, the front wheel could of locked up.

TBH, I think the whole thing (close clearances + mudguards = audax), is beyond a joke. How does a bit more space under the fork crown hurt anyone?.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Don't think I can squeeze a mudguard in here anyway:

Got some cheap touring wheels recently and larger tyres to cope with the nasty potholes/cracks that have appeared since the cold winter.

The pics above show a 28 instead of 23 on the back of my road bike, got a 25 on now which clears ok, no room for my road race mudguards anymore though. The 28 fits fine on the front, and soaks up the bumps nicely. Thanks for the info will avoid newly gritted roads with this bike.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26761

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/roadbike-accidents-caused-by-close-clearance-frames
Last edited by Erudin on 31 May 2010, 1:36am, edited 4 times in total.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

The problem isn't race bikes, where most neither want nor try to squeeze one in (they can't for one and no-one in the TDF does it for two), but audax bikes, where tight clearances + mudguards are par for the course.
Thanks for the info will avoid newly gritted roads with this bike.
What a lark!.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The mudguard exploding is better than the wheel jamming (although the Crud guards are supposed to quick-release, aren't they?).
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

rogerzilla wrote:The mudguard exploding is better than the wheel jamming (although the Crud guards are supposed to quick-release, aren't they?).

And IIRC they'll send FOC replacement parts. Check the website.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
workhard

Post by workhard »

the 'exploding' is there version of QR. The guard does quick release, but it ain't ever going back on a bike without spares afterwards.

The good news is that they will send you spares in return for 1st class stamps.

See this for details, they take a few days to send them out but it is a worthy service.
enigmatic

Post by enigmatic »

Hope you've complained to the relevant Highways Dept and claimed for damage done.