LEJOG on a Raleigh Chopper

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: LEJOG on a Raleigh Chopper

Post by Mick F »

Hi Fimm,
and thank you for your advice re Edinburgh to Moffat/Beattock.

Dougie was fantastic. He led me gently and looked after me to the city, and a couple of days later out of the city too. He kept an eye on me and shepherded me though the junctions.

The only problem I had, was not knowing that the road climbed so high into the mist, then plunged down to Moffat. Perhaps it wasn't a problem, it was just me being caught out. No matter what the road throws at you, you keep going.

Good road nonetheless!
:D
Mick F. Cornwall
MPurslow

Post by MPurslow »

Mick, in your blog you found those monuments in craven arms, where abouts in Craven Arms are they? The ones with the distances. I'd like 2 get a photo there when I do my ride :D
Please support us for our summer JOGLE!. [url][url]http://www.tinyurl.com/blfcycle[/url][/url]

In Aid of British Lung Foundation!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just at the crossroads, down from the Craven Arms pub.

You can see where I came south, turned the roundabout, then went to the monument, then off again south.

Click a couple of times for bigger views.
Craven Arms.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Well done Mick! A true Englishman! The Englishman in brought up with a "why not?" attitude and that's why he undertakes serious expeditions like this. You might go for the ultimate next. Remove one of the wheels and do it on a unicycle chopper??
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

I think a 13/15 year old boy did it on a 36 inch wheel unicycle. His dad road on a normal bike with him carrying some stuff and his mum drove a motor home with the rest. Google it and you will find his website and the related news coverage.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Supported?
Good grief!

You may as well be on rollers in your living room with a DVD of the route on the TV.

Perhaps I'm being cruel. It's a wonderful achievement to do it on a unicycle.
Mick F. Cornwall
mickyblueyes1713

Post by mickyblueyes1713 »

Hi Mick! Congrats on a fantastic achievement. Have only recently joined this forum as a source of info as I am in process of planning my own JOGLE.

Wish I started reading your blog earlier as I work in the large office building opposite the monuments in Craven Arms and would have loved to have popped across to check out the chopper in the flesh!
lastant

Post by lastant »

Congratulations Mick, a tremendous achievement.

I was in the Admiral Blake a few days before you and said it was you that had recommended it to the owner (Pauline?). She mentioned you'd been there a few times and I can see why...an excellent B&B!

Missed you en route, but kept up to date with the blog. Chapeau, sir!
One Man and LEJOG. End to End on Two Wheels in Twelve Days.
http://onemanandlejog.wordpress.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Pauline. Lovely lady.
She told me that quite a few cyclists mention me! That's fame for you!

That place is fantastic. It's a real gem of a place to stay. Come and go as you please, self service kitchen, only a walk away from a few pubs and takeaways, and SJS Cycles too! The garden is quiet and peaceful with tables to sit at. There's a TV in the lounge/dining room and there's always someone to chat to.

I'm off to Northampton tomorrow for the weekend. I'm popping in to see the folk at Billing Aquadrome where the Raleigh Chopper Owners Club are having a bash. I'll be there on Saturday with mine. They all want to meet me and Chopper. I'll be staying with Daughter2 in Bedford and I'll cycle Chopper and Trailer the 20 miles to Billing.

Stand by for an Epilogue on the blog!
Mick F. Cornwall
fimm

Post by fimm »

Mick,

The hill I was worrying about was quite near to Edinburgh. I suspect you didn't notice it...!
I've never cycled as far as Peebles myself, though my boyfriend often does a loop out that way.

Edited to add: Does this mean that every time some poor unsuspecting newbie comes onto the board asking for advice on a suitable JOGLE/LEJOG bike, everyone is going to say "What you really need is a Raleigh Chopper....!" ?
:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D
Of course it's a race...
Gavsdad

Post by Gavsdad »

Well done Mick - what a crazy adventure. I've read a lot from your blog, I just need to sit down with a few hours to spare and read it in detail.

It just shows, the CTC is full of all sorts of characters.

Could it be the turn of the fish sellers bike next?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys!

I was a Northampton over the weekend with folk from the Raleigh Chopper Owners' Club. I didn't know what to expect and was a little concerned that they would all be a bunch of "anoraks", but it was wonderful and so were they!

I'm going to write an Epilogue to my blog later this morning ........
Mick F. Cornwall
Gavsdad

Post by Gavsdad »

I've just read your epilogue Mick, I was worried I had to sit up until midnight before I could read it.

A couple of points.

Your daughter lives in Bedford, so does mine (your not married to my wife are you?). We are also in the process of buying a house and moving there - but it is not going well at the moment.

You mention RSW at the Chopper meet. Coming from near Nottingham I had knew a lad on the production line at Raleigh. He then got a job as a cycle tester. He put new stuff on his bike, spent the day in Derbyshire and had to make his own way home if it all fell to pieces. He brought the prototype RSW home one Friday night, must have been 1962/63. I had a go on it, riding it all over town.
He (more than) once told me never to get married, 'When you are married you penny bun costs tupence'. I did and lost track of him. I saw him many years latter, his penny bun was costing him sixpence. He must have thought there was more to life than cycling.
WillRowe

Post by WillRowe »

Mick

I've just read your epic blog, and have to say that it (like your other ones) is a constant source of inspiration to me.

Well done, and congratulations on a huge achievement!!

Will
------------------------------------------
"The upside to every hill is that there is a downside..."

You can read my blogs at: http://heavenandhellin13days-afatboysjogle.blogspot.com and http://travelswiththemanlysteed.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys!

Penny buns costing tuppence eh? Totally agree! Two cannot live for the cost of one. We've been married 37 years this November. She must love me, else she'd have chucked me by now! Perhaps I'm buying the buns! :wink:

I need a new project now. Blog is finished for this year, so next year beckons.
Mick F. Cornwall