Cycling specs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
matt2matt2002

Cycling specs

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Anyone know a good supplier for cheap cycling glasses - prescription lens.
All the ones I see advertised are £120 +
:shock:
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
kevinp

Re: Cycling specs

Post by kevinp »

If you just need some with bi-focals these are the ones I use cheap enough at three pairs for £25.00

bi-focals
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Have you tried visiting an optician? Sounds a patronising thing to say, but I've found that a local independent optician will go out of their way to find what you're looking for and will find stuff well beyond what you see advertised on the web.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

One of my team mates just got a pair from Specsavers. Look a bit like swimming goggles, but he seems happy enough.
I used the Rudy Project systems with the clip in lenses for years with no problems at all, until it rains, or worse still, it's foggy.
I went over to disposable contact lenses just for weekend rides and haven't looked back, literally!
When it rains you stick your specs somewhere appropriate and you can still see. It's a miracle I tell you.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
eltonioni

Post by eltonioni »

My optician fits cyclists with corrective lenses in Oakley frames. Prob' not cheap but there must be cheaper alternatives.
workhard

Post by workhard »

Specsavers sell a range of sports glasses which have prescription inserts. Cheap they are not. I'm actively looking into them (boom boom) as I need glasses to read maps/GPS these days.
benm

Post by benm »

I have found that nearly all the cycle specs (wrap around types) where prescriptions are offered do not go far enough for my abject blindness ;)

I am -4.5 in one eye and something similar in the other so the curve on the inserts or the lenses themselves (in the case of Oakley frames) is too much and I wouldn't be able to see anything with the glasses on. I just use my ordinary specs and put up with a gale whipping round the edges.

Of course I am happy to be told of any system that can cope with really short sight...

B.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I just wear my normal glasses. Never had any problems at speed either. Wrap rounds are only a fashion accessory and not a neccesity
NUKe

Post by belgiangoth »

I will eventually get around to writing a proper review of Windram glasses, but the short version is that they are cack!
I cycle in my normal specs, if it's sunny I wear a hat to keep the sun out, if it rains I wear a hat to keep the rain out. Get yourself a stylish racing cap and save yourself the cost of a £100+ pair of specs.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

NUKe wrote:I just wear my normal glasses. Never had any problems at speed either. Wrap rounds are only a fashion accessory and not a neccesity

I dont agree,having had bugs in my eyes when wearing ordinary specs,also in slightly chilly weather my eyes water with ordinary specs.
Not a fashion accessory in my view.
I use those from Straight Lines and at £25 (£33 with vat and p&p) for three pairs hardly bank breaking
richardyorkshire

Post by richardyorkshire »

benm wrote:I have found that nearly all the cycle specs (wrap around types) where prescriptions are offered do not go far enough for my abject blindness ;) I am -4.5 in one eye and something similar in the other so the curve on the inserts or the lenses themselves (in the case of Oakley frames) is too much and I wouldn't be able to see anything with the glasses on.

I've got some Optilabs cycling glasses, using the Rapide frame and photochromic lenses. My prescription is -5.0 in one eye and -5.5 in the other, so I guess I'm even more short sighted than you. But I find them very comfortable. In fact I love the complete coverage the wrap around glasses give me, as my normal spectacles are rather narrower and so have a blurred bit visible above and below the lens.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
Big John

Post by Big John »

I'm minus 10 :!: in both eyes - I've tried and failed any number of routes to getting prescription cycling glasses. I'd echo what's said above - unless you are both long and short sighted, contact lenses and plain cycling glasses are the answer.

*edited owing to fat fingers*
Big T

Post by Big T »

Apparently Tesco's do prescription sunglasses for about £40. I've not managed to find a Tesco's yet that has an optician :shock: .

I tried Optilabs, but I couldn't get on with their Scorch glasses despite sending them back twice to get the lenses redone - a waste of £125. I now have a pair of Alpina sunglasses with a prescription insert. These were £110 from my local optician and do the job fine. They have 3 sets of coloured lenses for varying light conditions. I'm -4.0 in both eyes.

I do have some contact lenses which i wear for time trialling or if it's really hot, but wear my alpinas mostly while cycling.

I also sometimes wear a cap, but find it gets soaked in sweat on a long, fast ride and starts to drip sweat onto my glasses. It does keep the rain off. I usually wear a Buff, which is better at soaking up the profuse amount of sweat that I produce.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

just found these
http://www.fitovers.com/index.php?page=home

don't know anything about them but they look good
NUKe

Post by belgiangoth »

My issue with "fitover" style glasses (e.g. my windrams) was that when it rained I got two layers of wet glasses (same with fog) so I couldn't use them in bad weather. My other issue with the Windrams was that the lenses case was so big that it was a hassle to carry the lenses with me (and the glasses would fall apart whenever changing the lenses anyway) which meant thatI essentially never changed them - I ended up with a less functional and bulk version of prescription sunglasses.
Buy some non-prescription cycling glasses and some contacts.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.