The A39, is it busy start of July?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mattraisin

The A39, is it busy start of July?

Post by mattraisin »

On my current route I am mainly on it and a little bit off from Bideford until I'm past Wadebridge and into St. Columb Major. This is a very long time of the road will be horribly busy.

Thanks,

Matt
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
mattraisin

Re: The A39, is it busy start of July?

Post by mattraisin »

Just Realised I'm on it from long before Bideford it just becomes a "Primary Route" (ie. Green) at Bideford on my Map.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A39 is the Atlantic Highway.
Why are you at Bideford?

No problem or query, but if you came off the A39 up there and came down the A388 to Launceston, you might be better off.

Then follow the road out via St Stephens, Egloskerry and Tresmeer, then back onto the A39 at Davidstow and through Camelford and Wadebridge.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=138278 day 14 this is route I am taking, and yes I know its hilly! I would like to stay to the coast but I can easily divert and catch up on my route as you suggested. So at least I wouldn't have to do any major replanning. I am in Bideford because I decided to take on Exmoor! Porlock Hill :S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You are a glutton for punishment!

Sorry, but my advice is to come down via Bridgwater, Tiverton, Crediton, Okehampton, Launceston, Camelford, Wadebridge, Redruth, Camborne, Hayle, Penzance, LE.

My suggestion is for folk to do Exmoor or Dartmoor as separate tours to an End-to-End. Same thing is the Lake District or N York Moors, or even the Pennines.

Jog to LE is a different thing to a Tour. Why not do your E2E as a thing to do, but visit Exmoor some other time?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jack

Post by Jack »

Mick F wrote:

Jog to LE is a different thing to a Tour.

To some, maybe. But there are no rules.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
No rules!
Of course!

Tour of Britain.
Mick F. Cornwall
lastant

Post by lastant »

mattraisin wrote:Mine is most certainly a "Tour of Britain" then! here are the links to my route, it goes through the lakes, the dales, peak district, Exmoor. Its 1101 miles long.

Sounds similar to the one I've just finished, 1,056 miles and a route that took in a lot of that.

My blog's here if you fancy seeing how it went. Just need to finish it off with my food list, costs and final update.
One Man and LEJOG. End to End on Two Wheels in Twelve Days.
http://onemanandlejog.wordpress.com
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

Despite you being a Norwich city supporter I will still congratulate you. You did it the other way round and on reading your last entry I am glad I chose to end at Land's End, seemed like its not the most welcoming end to cycle to a desolate place with not much around. Hopefully I wont get lost on mine and will be back to see Ipswich beating Norwich next season.
jasps

Post by jasps »

I am doing LEJOG in a few weeks time. I was planning on taking the A39 up to Bocastle. Just how busy is the A39? I was originally going to do the CTC B&B route but it looks massively complicated and the chances of me not getting lost, I would imagine are fairly slim. Any other alternatives?

Thanks,
Adam
Neil F

Post by Neil F »

The A39 is busy all year but in July you are well into the caravan season. Saturday is change over day so it goes both ways. The worst time is when the schools break up. But with a bit of navigation the A39 can be avoided. It will not be as direct but is very scenic.
From Bideford take the tarka trail /NCN27 south it crosses the river at Pillmouth here there is a way off the trail. ,you will see a bridge with the main road, go across the bridge and on the other side there is a side road to the left (may be signed to parkham) take this road , The road will climb slowly up a river valley and past Melbury reservoir and on to a cross roads at Powlers piece. Go over the cross roads and head towards Bradworthy. Stay on the road to Bradworthy. In Bradworthy you will come in to the main square. Leave the square by the road passing the pub and the church heading to Holsworthy. Continue to Holsworthy.
After passing through Chilsworthy, after a mile or so, the road will enter Holsworthy on a tee junction opposite a school and to the right a garage. Turn left into the town and as the road rises on the right is lane with a cycle path on it. Up the lane , you are now on NCN3 . at the top there is a news agents and a road to the right . Take this then follow the R3 signs. You will go to Pyworthy then Bridgerule just stay on R3 the signs are good. and eventually you get to St Breward . Down the hill to Wenford bridge to pick up the Tarka Trail. At Bodmin to can turn to Wadebridge or turn to St Austell.
To go nearer to the coast is quite involved around Bude but if you take the above route to Hallworthy then turn right along the main road to Davidstow. Here the easiest way is to to turn left onto the A39 then take the next right to Slaughter Bridge B3314. Then stay on the B3314 to Wadebridge.
cidermartin

Post by cidermartin »

I certainly endorse the Bradworthy/Holsworthy alternative. I was cycling in this area last week and is is wonderful. I crossed over and used about a 1/4 mile of the A39 and it was horrendously busy (it is also narrow, very narrow, in many places); the enjoyment factor of cycling on this road will be zero, the risk factor very high indeed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You won't get me cycling near Holsworthy any more!
(Even the name of the place sends shivers down my spine)

Does anyone remember the buzzard?

I won't go there again on my bike until I have proof that the whole family has gone. It was a horrific experience to be attacked as I was riding along, minding my own business. Good job I was wearing a helmet ......

PS:
Hi Neil F, I've just been reading previous threads on the Buzzard, has it appeared again, or completely gone? Can I ride in safety?
Mick F. Cornwall
Neil F

Post by Neil F »

It's all right Mick F you can come out from under the bed, nothing from the buzzard front for a couple of years.
Once you are south of the A39 it's like another world. Few tourists get here. It is full of small lanes to explore and no traffic (except tractors)