What is the best nutrition for a 100 mile ride?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
auk929

Re: What is the best nutrition for a 100 mile ride?

Post by auk929 »

Have a good Breakfast! :D
Porrage, full Enlish, Toast with Marmalade etc,
Lucosade in the Bidon and stop for a light lunch, Pie, Sandwiches, etc.
Good luck with the ride!
Ben
"If it ain't broke..."!
meic

Post by meic »

JennyAdcock wrote:Thank you for the advice everyone, a good read all :lol:

I'm taking some tips away with me and hope I'll be able to keep up a steady pace for the Great Western Sportive.

I havent done a Sportif but I am led to believe that you will be given a plentiful supply of junk to eat while you are riding at the "Fuel Stops" (says it all really).
So it would be hard to have control of what you eat anyway.

As I value a healthy diet above a faster time, I would fail to partake of their chemical concoctions and stick to real food, carrying it myself if necessary.
I do believe they often offer bananas on Sportives which must be good for you, unfortunately I dont like them. :cry:
Yma o Hyd
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Just eat and drink a lot of everything.
jonty
thekelticfringe

Post by thekelticfringe »

I did Newcastle to my house (near Glasgow, via Edinburgh), which turned out to be about 270 miles, over three days. The second day was windy too! Anyway, about the only thing I really tried was to eat slow release carbs - so big bowls of porridge or weetabix with brown sugar for breakfast, brown pasta and vegetable sauce for lunch and pretty much whatever I could get my hands on for dinner.

I drank plenty and took some 'Nuun' rehydration tabs with me which I tended to take in the evenings (before a beer so as not to guzzle it). They're great - all the electrolytes, none of the carbohydrates. I didn't really bother with food during the actual rides, although did stop one mid-morning at a cake shop.

Basically, tune in to your body, don't obsess over what you're eating and not eating and you'll be fine, I think.
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
niggle

Post by niggle »

Whilst you are worrying about food intake, don't overlook the importance of fluid intake. Sometimes I think I am hitting the 'bonk' then realise I am just plain thirsty and drinking a generous amount of water revitalises me (I only ever carry plain water on the bike). It seems to me my dry mouth thirst response can lag a bit when cycling in hot weather and I have to tune in to the other symptoms of dehydration and respond early.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

The best nutrition? Known as Christmas cake at Christmas, but now available all year round in 'slab' (bar) form, it's rich moist fruit content certainly keeps me going for longer (think of the Duracell bunny powered on cake). OK, it's not the best Christmas cake, but out of all the regular cakes on offer (at £2 from Coop and Sainsbury's) it's my first choice. It is like having Christmas every day :wink:
Goosey

Post by Goosey »

Eat before you get hungry, drink before you get thirsty.

It works for me.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Goosey wrote:Eat before you get hungry, drink before you get thirsty.

It works for me.

I just rode a spontanious extra 30 miles on my commute .. and almost perished in a ditch. My stomach cramped up, I felt weak, I was lost. I checked my bag - no food, and no bank card, and a measly £1 in it. :shock:

Then I had a bag of crisps and I was fine.
Chris.City

Post by Chris.City »

Malt Loaf, the food of sportive gods :)

Really just check out how many cals there are in a single brick of the stuff, perfect for a long ride.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Chris.City wrote:Malt Loaf, the food of sportive gods :)

Really just check out how many cals there are in a single brick of the stuff, perfect for a long ride.

But it perishes once opened?
Chris.City

Post by Chris.City »

It lasts a 60-100 mile day ride easily enough, opened in its wrapper, wrapped in film or in a food bag & a brick fits perfectly in one of your 3 cycling jersey rear pockets. Don't forget the Soreen...........
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

I had 2 of my girlfriend's homebaked oaty cookies before my ride tonight. She is a good baker :D
PW

Post by PW »

Soreen lasts 2 or 3 days in a bar bag, I lived on it for a fortnight last summer riding home from JOG the long way round. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Jenny, haven't time to read through all the reponses,but here's my tip. When on a long ride (like the monster' we're doing this Sunday!), I munch on dried apricots. One about every half hour. They give off a slow release of energy. I only buy the cheap one's from Asda,Tesco or whatever, none of this health shop nonsense!

And have a jolly good feed before you set off. :D
thekelticfringe

Post by thekelticfringe »

=1 for dried fruit - apricots, prunes, 'cherry and berry' mix (ASDA) etc, all great trail fodder. Apricots are also a good source of potassium, so that helps the electrolytes IIRC. And, as they say, prunes keep you going - although I'm not sure if that was to do with biking :shock:
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!