Bad drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AlanD

Re: Bad drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AlanD »

I doubt that any form of secret retribution would work.
On the plus side, the driver may not discover it until they get home, or the following morning, and so would not necessarily attribute it to you.
However, the driver may just assume that some chav has gone along the pavement and was lacking entertainment. So without knowing how or why it happened, there is no change in driving behaviour.
thehappycyclist

Post by thehappycyclist »

About 10 years ago I was on my way home passing a side road when a car pulled up to the line with four young lads in it. The driver smiled and I dont know why but my Spider senses started tingling and sure enough ,at the last possible moment ,he pulled out forcing me to slam on and nearly go over the bars. He then shot off with the two lads in the back looking at me ,laughing their heads off and giving me the finger.
I pedaled after them as fast as I could but lost them over the next half a mile. I was livid and started to slow down and bimble the last mile home to try to calm down. Five minutes later, in the shadows as I crossed the local civic centre car park, who should I see locking their car up under a floodlight then crossing the road with cues in their hands to the local poolhall, but our four young heros. I stood there for a minute trying to decide what to do, then walked over to the car, let all four tyres down , hopped back on my bike and cycled home.
When the rain woke me up lashing the bedroom window at about 11.30 , I must admit the thought that they would be getting back to their car about then sent me back to sleep with a nice warm feeling in my tummy. They say it's best served cold...they're right.
canadork

Post by canadork »

THC
thats brillant. you should mail that to quetin tarantino and he could put a nice spin in it.

nothing to do with bicycles....
when i was working in new zealand. we had a nice car park that could fit all the employees in with room to move. the company down the road used to come block us in, park where ever they wanted. now.. that might slide over here where a parking spot is like gold and everybody fights for spots. but in NZ they were just being pricks considering the whole street was park able. the manager of the other company was consistantly parking there blocking my motorbike in. whats a guy to do?

well as i was a foreman at an engineering shop i had two of my guys build a lifting frame that could be slid under his car and i used one of our 100ton mobile cranes. had my guys move their cars set up the crane lifted this guys 200ft up in the air and hung it over the vacant lot next door. he stormed into my office demanding info on who stole his car.. he didnt have a fore thought to associate the crane with his incompetence. i just pointed up and the face on him i tell ya.

i instructed him to call the cops, and informed him that this whole yard is watched by CCTV so dont mess with anything. and drove home to the poetic sound of him whaling in the back ground.

i stopped to tell him that my crane driver had worked the maximun shift allowable and he would be back tomorrow.

the birds stopped landing in the car park point made!!!

revenge is priceless!!!
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I remember an episode of 'Monarch of the Glen' where the game warden had some issue with some flash chav in something loud that was 'burning' up the roads and causing trouble. So he challenged this young person to a race, looser hands over their keys. Of course the youngster thought "Easy" and agreed. Un beknown to him, our man had stuffed the apple in his hand up the cars tail pipe. At the off, he floors the pedal and the engine dies. The Game warden drives off at a leasurely pace, comes back and demands the keys, which when handed over, he throws into the bog nearby.

Does this really work, or does it only happen on television? Perhaps I should carry an apple in my pannier. :wink:
Si

Post by Si »

It works, although it's a bad idea to try it while the car is running. when you try to start a car the engine acts as a big pump, pulling fuel mix in and pushing gas out - if it can't push the gas out then it can't pull fuel in, and so it won't 'catch'.
Vereley

Post by Vereley »

The attitude and unlawful behaviour of some motorists is reprehensible but let us not be too self-righteous because there are two sides to the coin. Some cyclists can be equally irresponsible in the way they use the road. The other evening I was driving into town in late afternoon and I followed a middle-aged cyclist (on a very nice bike) for some distance before I could safely overtake giving us both plenty of room. As I drove along the High Street some half a mile on there was a van parked on my side and I gave way to an oncoming vehicle; the cyclist blithely went passed me on the righthand side of the road into the path of the oncoming vehicle causing it to take some evasive action to avoid a collision. No harm done this time but an example of how cyclists forget that they too have a duty of care to themselves and other road users.
lesz42

Post by lesz42 »

Vereley wrote:The attitude and unlawful behaviour of some motorists is reprehensible but let us not be too self-righteous because there are two sides to the coin. Some cyclists can be equally irresponsible in the way they use the road. The other evening I was driving into town in late afternoon and I followed a middle-aged cyclist (on a very nice bike) for some distance before I could safely overtake giving us both plenty of room. As I drove along the High Street some half a mile on there was a van parked on my side and I gave way to an oncoming vehicle; the cyclist blithely went passed me on the righthand side of the road into the path of the oncoming vehicle causing it to take some evasive action to avoid a collision. No harm done this time but an example of how cyclists forget that they too have a duty of care to themselves and other road users.

well said!
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

+1, as the internet youth of today would say.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

Vereley wrote: As I drove along the High Street some half a mile on there was a van parked on my side and I gave way to an oncoming vehicle; the cyclist blithely went passed me on the righthand side of the road into the path of the oncoming vehicle causing it to take some evasive action to avoid a collision.

why did you overtake a cyclist and then pull up in front of them for a parked vehicle?

I've never understood why people do that but they almost always do when theres plenty of space to get by on a bike but not for a car. I'm usually inclined to pass them and continue on my way when it happens. The offending drivers usually take evasive action by going red in the face, sounding their horn, swearing and gesticulating. I assume its because it reinforces the futility of motor travel.

(I didn't know that it was unlawful to do that?)
Vereley

Post by Vereley »

Tom

Read the narrative. Where I overtook and where I had to pull in due to the parked van were some half a mile apart. I am somewhat surprised at some of the views being expressed in this thread. I understand (and share) the upset and anger at being wronged by irresponsible and ignorant motorists, but it is a big world and sadly many people know no better, you have the moral high ground but to be taken seriously raise the game and be more objective.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

Vereley wrote:Tom

Read the narrative.

I guess I'm being unfair and accept that in this instance it's very plausible that you were obstructing the cyclists path half of a mile down the road for the two minutes that it would have taken them to catch up.

They still caught up though so maybe you would have been better to just follow them