HI guys..just signed in..need help

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cyclic

HI guys..just signed in..need help

Post by cyclic »

HI guys, :lol:
..this site looks friendly & great!.....
just signed in :lol: . I am from malta....I am interested in buying an e-bike...I weigh in 17 stone region...will it move move me????

...we have lots of hills,so, in need help!..
Can you help me with some questions.....
V'e been surfing the net,came across electricbikesdirect
Can I mention the e-bike manufacturers? ..I 've seen some UK e-bikes,which all seem great....are they worthed? about GBP £ 895.00 - is there somthing better-money-wize?-is there a rieview page on e-bikes?
The one thing that seems different,is the........
motor....Brushed?...or brushless?....which is best for these bikes?,which are more reliable?-which parts are cheaper? :roll:
I appreciate you replying to this post.-cheers! :lol:
David

Post by David »

Oh no - it's happened :-(

Do a search for Electric Bikes or Electric. We have a long painful history here :-)

Your opinions of us may change and your smileys will be wiped out :-)
softpedal

malta

Post by softpedal »

:roll: :roll: Welcome but I've been to malta they're not hills they're pimples.
You'll stay 17st. if you get an electric bike.
Bite the bullet and get a proper bike.
cyclic

Post by cyclic »

Thanks David & softpedal-I understand. :oops:
Hey Softpedal,you 've been here,knowing the island...will an e-bike help me with the pimples?-I'am wanting one just for some encourgement...I would'nt want to blow the motor with my weight- :lol:
p.s.-can you guide me through Brushed?...or brushless?.motors...I know..i know...must be geared for me. :mrgreen:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Welcome Cyclic,
Here is a good source of information about electric bikes . .
http://www.atob.org.uk/
An electricallly assisted bike can provide a useful additional transport alternative.
mercurykev

Post by mercurykev »

Cyclic welcome to the sit and much respect for the trailer park boys atvar.

Mercurykev
cyclic

Post by cyclic »

mercurykev wrote:Cyclic welcome to the sit and much respect for the trailer park boys atvar.

Mercurykev

Thank Man..what is trailer park boys atvar?? :shock:
cyclic

Post by cyclic »

Ta. Graham..Cheers for the info.. :lol: ........Can i mention bike company(BRAND)????
mercurykev

Post by mercurykev »

an atvar is the picture you have chosen for your profile. In this case it's randy and Mr Leighey from the trailer park boys.
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

I'm with softpedal, get a proper bicycle :)
Graham

Post by Graham »

cyclic wrote:Ta. Graham..Cheers for the info.. :lol: ........Can i mention bike company(BRAND)????

I'm no expert and I don't own an electric bike, but I do subscribe to AtoB magazine.
They regard the Giant Lafree & eZee Torq as their most favoured bikes. But beware, it is a fast moving market and new models are introduced all the time.
PS. Your avatar . . . any chance you could put a shirt on ? I makes me feel quite queasy :?
Last edited by Graham on 10 Feb 2007, 10:09am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Graham wrote:
cyclic wrote:Ta. Graham..Cheers for the info.. :lol: ........Can i mention bike company(BRAND)????

I'm no expert and I don't own an electric bike, but I do subscribe to AtoB magazine.
They regard the Giant Lafree & eZee Torq as their most favoured bikes. But beware, it is a fast moving market and new models are introduced all the time.
PS. Your avatar . . . any chance you could put a shirt on ? I makes me feel quite queasy :?

And your the one complaining!
dbrunner

Was 17 stone at Xmas.... Now 14 and a half

Post by dbrunner »

Stats: 51 yo - 5'8" with 48" waist and 38% bodyfat on Boxing Day

Now 5'8" (phew) with 43" waist, and 30% bodyfat and am nearly classified as fat rather than obese!

This has been a tough 2-months, started with an indoor rower just to get the system going and back on the bike 1-month ago. I'm now riding the 15 miles (each way) to work 2/3 times a week. This includes a couple of gut-wrenching climbs too.

Set a PB yesterday of 66 mins compared to 83 mins the first time!!! Yeah!! Looking to break the hour barrier by Easter. Have treated myself to a new road bike too...

So it can be done!!! Forget the electric, get a mtb with a good groupset (I suggest STI Rapidfire rather than Sram Twistshift) and put slicks on it - most importantly get the bike fitted properly. There are lots of sites with lots of guidence, and don't make the mistake of having the saddle too low, this will be hell on your knees!

If you are worried about your heart, then get a Polar HRM and a bike computer that will show HRate. I know my max HR is 180 (bl**dy hills) and aim for 70% of that.

Why is the HRM useful? Well looking back at my spreadsheet of ride info (sad) my first ride of 15 miles took 83 mins with an average HR of 142 and 1280 calories burned. Yesterday, I took 66 mins, average HR of 122 and 780 calories burned - I worked harder had a higher average speed but was working way more efficently, hopefully demonstrating an improved level of fitness....

Enjoy the sunshine.... and good luck with your endeavour.

Dave (only 40 pounds to go!)

PS I really did look like cyclic's avatar > Euk <
Rans LWB Recumbent
Burley SWB Recumbent
Raleigh Titanium MTB
Giant Road Bike

Glider pilot... There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud!