I give up!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Langley

I give up!

Post by Langley »

After what seems like an age dealing with the Council in various forms and the very helpful MP there is nothing they can do.

The issue is cycle lanes in town where taxi and cars use them as parking spaces. They have all declared it is not "their" problem but i should call someone else etc.

It just shows even though the government say they want greener transport and people to use bike they are making no effort to actually do it. Where there are lanes to use cars are perfectly legal to park there.

I can see now why there is this battle between cyclists and car, and withough proper investment and understanding all our bleating will make no difference. Look at all the posts where a cyclist has nearly been hit, or there was a confrontation between car and bike; unless there is a better way forward nothing will change.

As so this is how apathy come about.
kwackers

Re: I give up!

Post by kwackers »

I think you misunderstand what "the government" actually is.

It's a collection of people all with conflicting aims and needs. The little man in charge of bicycles has to try and get his voice heard over the shouting of the offices full of people in charge of cars and people in charge of not peeing off the voting public.

And it's not just bicycles, you can't walk down my street on the pavement any more - you pretty much have to walk into the road to get past the cars parked on the pavement. I pity anyone with pushchairs or in a wheelchair. If you can't get cars off pavements why on earth would you think you can shift them from bicycle lanes!?

Should be some sort of pedestrian protest day - where all peds walk everywhere in the middle of the roads.

The whole thing is a joke.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Dont get angry, get even. Even with the taxi drivers. Use your imagination and make it look like an accident.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

They're doing gas mains work around us and have put up a diversion through the estate. Unfortunately this has been achieved with full-size signs that completely fill the pavements around each junction, meaning to get past on foot, you need to walk down the middle of the road across each 'T'. How anybody thinks this is sensible is beyond me, but the disabled, prams, and pedestrians as a whole are at the bottom of the pecking order, and should be grateful for what they get, I suppose.
irc

Post by irc »

If I parked my car so that it almost completely blocked a pavement I'd be concerned that someone going past it with a pram might inadvertently scratch my paintwork.

As for advisory cycle lanes? Not worth the the waste of paint. They only put them on roads where the road is wide enough to share anyway. The only effect is that cars drive further out towards the center all the time whether bikes are around or not which means the 4 or 5 feet near the kerb are no longer swept clear of grit, broken glass, and all the other puncture causing debris.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

kwackers wrote:
Should be some sort of pedestrian protest day - where all peds walk everywhere in the middle of the roads.

Or where those that can, walk over them :evil:

I'm sure it would make motorists think twice.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

We have that sort of thing in Plymouth. The A379 going out through Plymstock used to be 2 lanes. They decided to make it cycle lane for about 2 miles by painting hatching on the right hand side of the inside lane. Where there are houses there are loads of cars parked. Luckily there is still enough room to ride by without going into the main flow of traffic. Not that I'm bothered by that. I sometimes think to myself when cycling that road that all the people that use that car par....oops, cycle lane would be rather upset if they decided to make it 2 lanes again. We also have a bus lane that is permanently used as a car park.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
wyadvd

Post by wyadvd »

dont get doored its lethal
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

wyadvd wrote:dont get doored its lethal

I got doored by a taxi on the left side of it! Then got verbal abuse from the driver and passenger.

Get in their faces before they get in yours and they back down. Its a gamble but I haven't looked back since becoming aggressive against people that p1ss me off on commutes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

stoobs wrote:
kwackers wrote:

Or where those that can, walk over them :evil:

I'm sure it would make motorists think twice.

You think cricket spikes and walking over the pavement (just happens to be a bit higher because there is a car in the way)?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Ring the police and say you've seen a taxi driver with a gun ...... :shock: .
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
vfmurphy

Post by vfmurphy »

Find out if anyone has a civil parking enforcement license for your area (depends on bylaws etc), but if they do, tip them off about the large number of illegally parked cars crying out to be clamped and towed.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Ring the police and say you've seen a taxi driver with a gun ...... :shock: .

That's more likely to get you in trouble!
More likely to be true if you said you thought there was a strong 'herbal aroma' coming from it, if you have to.
Rule 63

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white VAN (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable, watch out for Anna Meares elbows.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Coffee wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:Ring the police and say you've seen a taxi driver with a gun ...... :shock: .

That's more likely to get you in trouble!
More likely to be true if you said you thought there was a strong 'herbal aroma' coming from it, if you have to.

Claim to have shot the driver - with your camera of course...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.