Should i get a trailer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
briggsy

Re: Should i get a trailer

Post by briggsy »

Hi all

My thinking aloud (and all your sage advice) has brought me to the following:

Can Mrs B and me get all our stuff for 4 weeks touring & camping in two rear panniers (each - mine at 40l, Mrs B's at 28l) and bar bags? Bearing in mind that I don't want to overload my bike (it's an audax, not a heavy tourer and has 700x25c tyres). We managed a 2/3 week tour like this last year but didn't camp. Going to try and pack everything and see how much it weighs etc. I know it should all fit in and we should travel light etc but until we try it with our gear we won't know. If it doesn't all fit, Mrs B says I can get a trailer (or at least says she'll consider it).

I'd still love to hear all your comments and will let you know how the packing experiment goes.

Keith
peevafred

Post by peevafred »

briggsy wrote:Hi all

My thinking aloud (and all your sage advice) has brought me to the following:

Can Mrs B and me get all our stuff for 4 weeks touring & camping in two rear panniers (each - mine at 40l, Mrs B's at 28l) and bar bags? Bearing in mind that I don't want to overload my bike (it's an audax, not a heavy tourer and has 700x25c tyres). We managed a 2/3 week tour like this last year but didn't camp. Going to try and pack everything and see how much it weighs etc. I know it should all fit in and we should travel light etc but until we try it with our gear we won't know. If it doesn't all fit, Mrs B says I can get a trailer (or at least says she'll consider it).

I'd still love to hear all your comments and will let you know how the packing experiment goes.

Keith

As I see it you have two choices 1 pack not what you think you will need but what you do need. 2 Get a carryfreedom and a suitably sized holdall pack things in plastic bags and off you go.After all you are not going to the back of beyond so you should be able to get food etc from shos along the way without carrying it.
There are lots of info on trailers on other threads Eg a carryfreedom is very easy to hitch and unhitch it is no wider than a set of panniers ,it doesn't fall on its side when parked etc etc
bikebelle

Post by bikebelle »

Used an 'extra wheel' trailer last year from Santander to St. Malo. It was easy to use, coz it has a 700 wheel, no need for extra tubes and tyres.
BARRACH

Post by BARRACH »

Having returned from cycling the canal du midi where we met loads of cyclists with trailers, my husband
wouldnt rest until he got one. Managed to find one on ebay for a reasonable price but havent managed to
get round to trying it out. Its a german make, a webber. Personally I cant wait to try it as I will have
less of a load to carry. Its got a large bag in similar material to ortleib panniers and folds down flat.
Aesthetically I think it looks really nice and smart.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Another trailer that you might want to try is a Radical cyclone. I have one and it's brill.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... i-09-34517

I didn't get mine from there I've had mine for 6 years I think I paid £250 but can't remember who I got it from.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
briggsy

Post by briggsy »

@dkmwt - I saw the Cyclone and really liked it, however the price is too high. I also thought 100l would be too much room and couldn't believe the bag isn't waterproof given the price tag.

I've ordered a Carry Freedom Y-Frame (Small) unfortunately there is no stock in the UK! I'm hoping some comes in soon as we are due to fly out in 3 weeks.
briggsy

Post by briggsy »

Hi everyone

Thought I'd let you know how I got on. I had to cancel the Carry Freedom I ordered as it was not going to arrive before I set off. After some amazing customer service from both Carry freedom and DTEK I decided to hire a trailer from DTEK.

We've just returned from a 900mile trip around Italy pulling 'Bessie' our Burley Nomad full of camping gear etc. We had a great time and certainly feel I made the right choice. I got stared at quite a lot and was even asked if I had a baby inside (I assume because it does look a bit like a small kiddie trailer). The trailer gave no problems whatsoever and the planes/trains/ferries we used didn't bat an eyelid.

in all, a success.

Thanks for all your advice,

Keith
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

I have a trailer form Edinburgh bicycle cooperative and really like it. I have used it for touring as well as for shopping etc.
I do have panniers and I have an Xtracycle now too but have no plans to part with it.
I find that it is easy to pack, so much easier than panniers, also it has so many uses, as I said already for shopping but I also use it for carrying my camera gear places that would be a long walk, around town etc.
I have had it for over a year and it's still going strong so well made I think, and was £150 so what can I say....
I can put a link to pics if anyone wants to see what it looks like.
Gari
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Just like to put in a plug for the Carry Freedom City - http://www.carryfreedom.com/city.html- Have towed this behind tandem and solos and love it! The centre of gravity is really low and until you're going uphill, you really don't notice it. We went to Germany by train this year, with the trailer, to pick up a couple of hire solos when we arrived. The trailer makes a great wheeled suitcase and fitted in a moment to my hire bike. It's also good if you and partner represent, shall we say, differing levels of cycling enthusiasm? I was able to use it as resistance training whilst Mrs E pedalled unencumbered by any luggage at all. It costs £250 but it's a jewel of a thing, and will last for years.
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
snowbirds

Post by snowbirds »

Hi, we have used a BOB IBIS trailer behind our tandem for 5years and have had no problems towing it, on the contary, it is the best introdution to the NATIVES, and can never do without it, we have unhooked and taken on trains in SPAIN and FRANCE
ITS A WAY OF LIFE, BEST WISHES