Interesting day!!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Boycie

Interesting day!!

Post by Boycie »

Today, I went over to that nice man from D-TEK and tried my hand at riding some recumbent bikes. Hmmm, they are a bit different, aint they? He sent me out on a couple of semi-recumbents to begin with. Bloody 'ell, it were wobbly :shock:

Then I progressed eventually onto a Bachetta Giro 26, which is I suppose a mid-racer, in that the wheels are 26" and a fairly high BB. I like it very muchly, i must say. Before I rode it, I was quite against that style on the rather daft grounds that it 'didn't look right'. After riding it, I have completely changed my mind.

I found the whole riding experience weird, to say the least. I am used to the reclined seating position of my Trice QNT, so that wasn't too bad. But the difference in balance was totally different to my previous experience of riding upwrongs. I found it very much like riding my motorcycle, in that found that if I kept my head up, looked a decent distance in front, especially when turning round on the road, it made a huge difference in whether i wobbled like a crazy man or not!!! After a while though, it became generally quite easy, and I was wanging round, grinning like a muppet!

So, i suspect that the trike might be going up for sale in the near future. Shame I can' keep it and add a bike, but finances are too tight to justify that, (even if the wife would let me!! :lol: ) I think the bike will probably suit my needs better than the trike for overall riding. Much as I love the trike, and I will miss the ability to not have to clip out every time I stop, to be able to just stop and rest without dismounting, and to fall asleep on it when it's al got too much, I want a bit more speed in terms of average speed, I think. Anyone got a Bachetta Giro 26 they want to sell??? :lol: :lol:

Just for the record, anyone who is thinking about getting a recumbent, be it trike or bike, and does not know of Kevin at D-TEK, once again, I can sing his praises. He spent a long time being very patient with me, and couldn't do enough to help. Get yerself over there if you can. I gaurantee you will be treated right.

Phil
Phil
Richard

Re: Interesting day!!

Post by Richard »

I've got a giro 20 if you fancy it?
Boycie

Post by Boycie »

Richard wrote:I've got a giro 20 if you fancy it?

Richard, I had a go on a giro 20, and didn't like it as much as the 26, so I will decline your kind offer.

Cheers though

Phil
Phil
Richard

Post by Richard »

Shame! I think you'll find the Giro 26 a good choice though, particularly the lighter ATT. Bacchetta make good bikes and their customer support is excellent. Good luck in the hunt.

Any other takers?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Richard wrote:I've got a giro 20 if you fancy it?

Where are you based?
I can imagine such a beast being rather good fun, and would let Mrs Bob use the trike at weekends...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Boycie

Post by Boycie »

went out on my mtb this afternoon, for the first time since about two years ago. Now I know why I ride recumbents these days, and why I want a bike, as above. God, it is uncomfortable!!!! My a*^e, wrist and hands hurt like hell after 1/2 hour of riding! I know one gets used to such things, but I would rather not have to go through that period nowadays!! :D

Roll on the new machine.

Phil
Phil
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I had a similar problem the other day. I had to ride my brothers MTB into town (2 miles at the most) to get new pedals for his trike while my trike was stripped for respray.

To say that it was uncomfortable would be the understatement of the year. My sit bones where sore for days afterwards.
Trouble is I had to do it again cause I bought crap pedals the first time. I got 100 yards up the road, gave up and vowed never again to ride an upwrong.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

I'm not sure that recumbent seating is such a panacea as you are suggesting. There was a thread about varicose veins elsewhere on the forum. I was temped to suggest that a recumbent might provide some relief for sufferers of those but I just did a long ride using most of the daylight hours and a few dark hours too. I was riding for about 17 hours in total. I was desperate to get the weight off by backside and raise my legs. Sure you can get discomfort with a convention saddle but it's just a different kind of discomfort.

I'm using a trice mesh seat with the foam pad insert.

The absence of shoulder/wrist ache with the recumbent is welcome though.
byegad

Post by byegad »

7_lives_left wrote:I'm not sure that recumbent seating is such a panacea as you are suggesting. There was a thread about varicose veins elsewhere on the forum. I was temped to suggest that a recumbent might provide some relief for sufferers of those but I just did a long ride using most of the daylight hours and a few dark hours too. I was riding for about 17 hours in total. I was desperate to get the weight off by backside and raise my legs. Sure you can get discomfort with a convention saddle but it's just a different kind of discomfort.

I'm using a trice mesh seat with the foam pad insert.

The absence of shoulder/wrist ache with the recumbent is welcome though.

You are describing what the Americans call recumbutt. The usual solution is to recline the seat a bit more. I had this on my Kettwiesel and moving the seat back another (very) few degrees made all of the difference.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

a misfitted 'bent will give you trouble as will a misfitted upwrong.

On short rides this won't show at all, but on long rides it will
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

byegad wrote:You are describing what the Americans call recumbutt. The usual solution is to recline the seat a bit more. I had this on my Kettwiesel and moving the seat back another (very) few degrees made all of the difference.

Ahh... it's good to know that that my ailment has a proper name :) . Thanks for that. I will make the necessary adjustments next time I take the trike out.
Boycie

Post by Boycie »

Yippeeeee!!!!! its gonna happen!!! :D :D :D :D

i have today placed an order for a brand new shiny Bachetta Giro 26 in banana yellow!!!!!!!!!! I should get it in a couple of weeks, all being well, from that very nice man at D-TEK.

I can't wait, but I suppose I am going to have to.. Boo hoo. :cry:

Bet it starts p()&%$""** down just about when I get to ride it :)

Oh well, never mind

Phil
Phil
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Welcome to the dark side :)
HP Velo Fan

Post by HP Velo Fan »

Sorry for the slight off-topic but does anyone have any rough idea how much D-Tek sells used HP Velo Grasshopper fx with disc brakes for? I am after a used on but there are very few for sale at all and I'm supposed to be off on tour at the end of August and I'm gettig desperate to find one before then. :?

Andy S
Boycie

Post by Boycie »

Andy, yer best bet, I would suggest, is to give Kevin a ring on 01353648177. He will at least be able to talk through your options, I think. He does talk for england, (got to be polite here, as he does occasionally frequent this site :D (sorry Kevin!!!)), but he's a good old boy, and a font of knowledge.
Phil