Goverment cuts

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
mac111051

Goverment cuts

Post by mac111051 »

Do you think cycle training in schools will be affected by the goverment cuts, were does the money come from to pay for the training, is it from the local council budget or from a goverment department
Nutsey

Re: Goverment cuts

Post by Nutsey »

Good question, and I suspect there are several answers depending on funding in your local area. Funding could come from all sorts of places/departments, local or national government.

In schools I suspect its local councils administering these things, but the money trail may lead to whitehall. You could ask the local council or education authority but the answer will probably be vague.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

Our money for Bikeability training in Suffolk is from central government. Those in the know can foresee funds being reduced, but not withdrawn totally - but who really knows what will happen.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
Jules

Post by Jules »

http://services.parliament.uk/hansard/C ... rt003.html

See link above for recent government responses on the subject of funding for cycling and cycle training
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Jules wrote:http://services.parliament.uk/hansard/Commons/bydate/20100714/writtenanswers/part003.html

See link above for recent government responses on the subject of funding for cycling and cycle training

I have a fear that the funds will be cut and what remains diverted towards educating cyclists to wear hel**** :(

...or into road maintenance as it will be claimed it benefits all road users.
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

My local Authority (Bury) funds Bikeability from speeding and parking fines and charging £5 per child in schools and some schools chose to pay from their budget instead of passing it on to the parents. I foresee schools and parents cutting their budgets.....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jules wrote:...See link above for recent government responses on the subject of funding for cycling and cycle training

And the immediately preceeding answer relates to something asked earlier about helmet wearing:

There is no specific Cycling England programme to encourage cycle helmet wearing. However a number of programmes funded by Cycling England give advice on cycle helmet wearing, such as Bikeability training.

It seems Cycling England may be one of targets of the cuts.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=41278&start=0
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Serves you right for voting for labour tbh. You thought borrowing was free? Stuff needs cutting, and this is prime cutting fodder.