Recumbent chain lube

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tom Richardson

Recumbent chain lube

Post by Tom Richardson »

What do you use to lube your recumbent chain?

I've been using Profi Dry Lube - recommended by the manufacturer because it doesn't gunge the chain tubes up. Its good stuff but it isn't cheap and looking ahead I bet it's not up to winter weather. Does anyone use chain oil (like Finish Line wet lube)?
dkmwt

Re: Recumbent chain lube

Post by dkmwt »

Yes finish line is what I've been using for nearly 5 years with no problems. When I stripped my Trike for respray I cleaned everything, when I did the chain tubes they wern't very dirty at all, even though I ride in all weathers all year round.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
byegad

Post by byegad »

I used to use Finish Line which was OK, but I've just started to use Chain Saw oil. More later when I've had time to assess. But so far so good.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

thanks for your replies. the info on my bike gives the impression that it will dissolve into gloop if I use anything but expensive dry lube. I've never been impressed by dry lube on my df bike so don't hold out much hope for it on this one - with 2½ times the chain.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I have used gearbox il for a couple of years. It works well and is supposed to stick under pressure.
On a trice the lower chain tube acted like a sump!