Wild Wales Challenge - cancelled

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
timmitchell

Wild Wales Challenge - cancelled

Post by timmitchell »

eileithyia

Re: Wild Wales Challenge - cancelled

Post by eileithyia »

A great pity + 1, I have not ridden it, yet, but I understand from those who rode last year's some of the road surfaces were pretty ropey!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
nor750ton

Post by nor750ton »

I'm led to believe that the real reason the Wild Wales 2010 has been cancelled is due to a dispute, over money, between the 2009 organiser and Liverpool District. It is only hearsay of course but E. Jones agreed to organise this event if some contribution from the profits was given to his cycling club. Liverpool appear to have reneged on this, possibly, verbal agreement. If E. Jones and/or Liverpool District wish to comment and set the record straight I'm sure everybody would be delighted.

I would not have written this if Liverpool CTC had bothered to respond to my e-mail, which was written several weeks ago asking where I could obtain an entry form!

It would also be enlightening to know what the exact issue(s) are relating to health and safety. Anybody can hide behind such statements.

Can we see the district minutes which relate to both the health and safety issue and the dispute(assuming there is one)?
meic

Post by meic »

If an organiser arranges an event which I enter and enjoy then I am grateful to them for so doing.
If next year they decide not to then they have only come down to my level, so I would have no grounds to criticise them.
As I am grateful to all those people who do organise events (unlike lazy me) I would like to discourage criticisms like nor750ton's as it could make many organisers and potential organisers think "why bother, all you get is stick".
Yma o Hyd
nor750ton

Post by nor750ton »

I would hope that readers could fully digest all that which was written. I believe E. Jones did a fantastic job last year which was why I was seriously considering participating this year. I have not actually criticised anybody. I have asked for some openess and honesty. I hope that for all concerned it arrives soon.
Bassett

Post by Bassett »

A great shame :( did this last year for the 1st time and had a great day out dispite the bad weather.
Very friendly people and as for the road surfaces they were better than my local roads.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I've done the Wild Wales twice (2002 & 2003) and it's the hardest thing i've ever done on a bike.

North Wales is currently undergoing a crackdown by police of competitive cycle events on the public highway. The police are insisting on a rolling road closure or having trained marshals at every junction. This as a result of the 2009 Bikeline 2-day debacle. I'm wonering if the Wild Wales has somehow fallen foul of this same crackdown?
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
THEJONESBOY

Post by THEJONESBOY »

FOR THE RECORD

Merseyside CTC are extremely disappointed we have had to take the reluctant decision to cancel the event for the first time since it started in 1984. We have made numerous friends in all those years and we are sure you share in missing the date in the calendar for 2010

The posting from nor750ton appears to contain some significant errors and notice of cancellation can be found on www,merseysidectc.com

Firstly, I would state that all people who help from MERSEYSIDE CTC are all unpaid volunteers who give up a lot of free time to ensure that any event we run is a success. Indeed, it was Emrys Jones himself who instigated the approach to Headquarters of CTC relating to safety issues of cycle events. Events of this scale require thorough planning and that is why we are always pro active in what we do.

It has nothing to do with finance whatsoever, it is purely moving with the times in promoting cycle events involving large numbers. We are talking in excess of 500 riders per event

Should nor750ton or anybody like to email our secretary if they have any further questions, feel free

At this point we put out this plea if anyone can assist in an attempt to promote an event in 2011

They would need experience of matters that are related to large groups of cyclists on the roads of Wales, not a race but purely a challenge. Again, please contact our Secretary who will then pass on your details to the committee. I wish you happy and safe cycling in the coming year.

These are the facts, we are a small group of unpaid volunteers who bring enormous pleasure to many cyclists,friends etc.

Mike Jones
Merseyside CTC President
john mainwaring

Post by john mainwaring »

Just want to register my full support for the organisers' decision to cancel. Wild Wales is one of the highlights of my calendar each year. I'm not a member of the CTC, but I've enjoyed every one of the many rides I've been on. Can't people just trust that there must be good reason behind the cancellation. Who are we, the ones just turn up and enjoy the event, to criticise any decision like this as if it's our God-given right to have such an event laid on. A huge number of volunteers' time and effort is given up on our behalf to make it happen year-on-year, so sincere thanks to Merseyside CTC is long overdue. We'll all miss it in 2010, but enjoy your year off and we look forward to everything being back on (rough, steep) track once things get sorted out.
Zabriskie

Post by Zabriskie »

Regardless of the reasons why this event has been cancelled, I am announcing that i will be riding the outlined 90.4 mile Wild Wales course on 30th august 2010. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome. Setting off at 8am from Bala.
nor750ton

Post by nor750ton »

I have ridden in organised events and been a controller on the LEL event thus I am not just a taker or a moaner! I do give something back! If there is a specific reason(s) why the event was not organised for 2010 why has this not been disclosed. Issuing a general statement of 'Health and Safety issues' as a reason is not satisfactory. You never know but somebody may have been able to assist and help resolve the issue. A problem shared is a problem halved. The other risk is that once you get a break, it is not always that easy to restart it as your volunteers may well have decided that, as they enjoyed their time off in 2010, they will do the same in 2011.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

My feeling on this is that if somebody volunteered in the past to organise something. Then they decide not to for any reason they can think off, that is their decision.
We do not have any rights in the matter what so ever. A reason has been given if you do not like it tough. Nobody has the right to any explanation as to the decisions taken by volunteers as to why they do not want to do something.
If they do not want to organise something it is up to them. If any person should feel that the event should take place you organise it.

I do assume anybody wanting to keep this event running has been in touch with the secretary to volunteer their services. If you have the expertise to organise such an event I feel sure they would consider letting you work with them. If you ask nicely enough.

Nobody has the right to tell volunteers what to do.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, what Edwards said - the organisers are not obliged to run the event if they don't want to, and they are not obliged to give the reason (although the reasons that I have seen seem satisfactory).

It's totally understandable that riders might be disappointed if their favorite event is cancelled, and it is understandable that riders might wonder why it has been cancelled. But I think that this making statements like "I have asked for some openness and honesty", "is not satisfactory", etc, only fuels speculation that something untoward has occurred - there is no evidence whatsoever that it has.

I would suggest that the unsupported speculation in this thread isn't helping anyone, thus I will be tempted to bin it off if it continues in this way.
meic

Post by meic »

I have just had two of my favourite local events cancelled by the organiser, he gave a reason for the cancellation and I dont really care whether it is the truth or not. I just say thanks for all the years you did run it and unusually for me* have attempted to step in and run it myself (but I was too late for this year).

So I am another in total agreement with what Edwards said.

*Normally I am able to be just a rider and taker. :D
Yma o Hyd
Barry The Cyclist

Post by Barry The Cyclist »

Looks like another year off for this event. Merseyside CTC have yet to comment but seen more info on the St Helens & Warrington Website