Trike dynamo(s)

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Trike dynamo(s)

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Looking at various dynamo options for a trike - but all the dyno hubs I can see have the brakes (disc or drum) on the opposite side to the dynamo wiring.

Looking at the ICE mudguards they have no support to the outside of the wheel. The brake has to be inside, so how do people run dynamo cables?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
plantfit

Re: Trike dynamo(s)

Post by plantfit »

Hi Bob,

Would it be possible to have a dyno hub on the back wheel and route the cables accordingly?

Roger

ps, is another Draycote water ride planned for the future? really enjoyed the last one.
trickletreat

Post by trickletreat »

+1 re Draycote, mid September maybe?

Is a Son hub an option? They do several for trikes, but are only used with discs...there is a heading for trikes in this list.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt.asp
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Draycote is certainly possible - I need to get a new vehicle first...

Not sure about rear hub dynamo, need to go searching.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
CW

Post by CW »

The only hub dynamo I`ve seen is one at http://www.icletta.com/shop/laufraeder/ ... -xs-m.html
Expensive but Icletta do say it can be used on a trike

DSC_5831.jpg
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Shiny - and I presume Disc braked.
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

The SON generator hubs fitted on HP Velotechnik Scorpion trikes are black (at least mine is) and, yes, for disc brakes. It's an expensive option, but with the B&M senso lights supplied on the Scorpions, it's very slick, for you can set the head light to Auto and have both front and rear lights switch on automatically when it gets dark.

The hub is fitted on the front right-hand wheel. I've no idea if you could fit one on the left hand wheel — that Peter White Cycles site posted by trickletreat had some dire warnings about mounting some SON hubs the wrong way round.
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

MuirSR wrote:The SON generator hubs fitted on HP Velotechnik Scorpion trikes are black (at least mine is) and, yes, for disc brakes. It's an expensive option, but with the B&M senso lights supplied on the Scorpions, it's very slick, for you can set the head light to Auto and have both front and rear lights switch on automatically when it gets dark.

The hub is fitted on the front right-hand wheel. I've no idea if you could fit one on the left hand wheel — that Peter White Cycles site posted by trickletreat had some dire warnings about mounting some SON hubs the wrong way round.

Ah - I was hoping for a pair...
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

It's possible that it would be OK to have the hubs on both left and right wheels, it's just that I noticed Peter White gave warnings for some SON hubs, so you'd have to check.

Anyway, are you certain two hubs would generate enough power — why not have a few bottle dynamos as well, for good measure? :wink:
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

MuirSR wrote:It's possible that it would be OK to have the hubs on both left and right wheels, it's just that I noticed Peter White gave warnings for some SON hubs, so you'd have to check.

Anyway, are you certain two hubs would generate enough power — why not have a few bottle dynamos as well, for good measure? :wink:

:D

Decent headlight on each front mudguard would be quite nice I think...

Decent illumination, and the assumption that you're a vehicle by oncoming traffic.
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

I've good news for you, then: re-reading that Peter White Cycles site where it deals with SON hubs for trikes (it turns out you can have this version of the hub any colour you like, as long as it's black), he says, "The SON replaces either one of the front hubs on a tadpole style trike", so it would seem the warnings given elsewhere don't apply to the SON hub for trikes.

Also, towards the bottom of the page, in the section headed "Do you want a 12 volt system?", he talks about connected two headlights to a single SON hub.
Stephen
3tyretrackterry

Post by 3tyretrackterry »

no advice on hub dynamos but count me in for another Draycote ride ill stay for the double trip round this time
Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

3tyretrackterry wrote:no advice on hub dynamos but count me in for another Draycote ride ill stay for the double trip round this time
Ian

Hint taken ;)

I'm looking at alternatives for some point as well, but draycote Mark2 is a reasonable idea for this summer.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've got 2x Hope 1 lights mounted to the top of my streamer fairing.
They gave very good lighting, on a two setting, of the dark lanes on the last FNRttC.

+ another one for an other Draycote ride.

Luck ........... :D