LEJOG 2007

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Stoch

LEJOG 2007

Post by Stoch »

Hi i;m planning to do LEJOG at the end of june with a mate. I have got the training sorted out my question is about what to eat and drinkwhilst doing it and how much of what do i need to replace. Also are there any alternative to mixing up lots of powder baised drinks, liek for example pill supliments that can be taken with water? And help would be much appreciated as i have no clue as to what to do when it come to replacing electrolites and the like.
Thanks for your help
Yours
Steven
Si

Post by Si »

what to eat and drinkwhilst doing it

Anything and everything :wink: When I did it as my first tour, years ago, I started off trying to eat high carb foods (like the experts tell us to), but after the first few days I just ate anything I could get my hands on - and still managed to lose the best part of a st.

Assuming you are doing it at tourist speed rather than all out race speed, then aim to snack on hi-carb foods as you ride and fill up with what ever floats your boat at meal times. You should really experiement a bit with foods on your long training rides to see what you find easiest to digest. But remember that the ride is for fun and that sampling the local delicacies is part of that fun :D I rewarded myself when ten miles from my final destination for each day with a big choccy bar - not the best sports science, but it upped morale wonderfully and added to the enjoyment :P

If the temp is mild then drinking plenty of water will be fine, if it's hot then you might want to try something like Isostar to replace electrolites. I find a weak solution of this in one bottle and plain water in the other can see me through the hottest of Brit weather.

BUT, if you are going to use any supliments or sports drinks then remember to get used to them long before you do the big ride otherwise you might find that you get stomach upsets.
vernon

Re: LEJOG 2007

Post by vernon »

Stoch wrote:Hi i;m planning to do LEJOG at the end of june with a mate. I have got the training sorted out my question is about what to eat and drinkwhilst doing it and how much of what do i need to replace. Also are there any alternative to mixing up lots of powder baised drinks, liek for example pill supliments that can be taken with water? And help would be much appreciated as i have no clue as to what to do when it come to replacing electrolites and the like.
Thanks for your help
Yours
Steven

I wouldn't worry about carting powders and the likes around. A 50/50 mix of orange juice and water plus a pich of salt will do best part of the job done by energy powders/pills/potions.

I mixed juice and water for my first LEJOG and used just water on my JOGLE ride. Porridge is the best start to the day. Malt loaf, tinned rice pudding, cornish pasties, fish and chips, kebabs, pasta dishes, pitta bread and pate filling, chocolate, oranges, beer, cider, whisky, chorley cakes, eccles cakes were all part of my diet on the rides.

Don't get hung up on the theories of sporting nutrition. Plenty of carbs with some protein and your liquid of choice will see you through the ride. just rememebr to eat regularly and drink little but often.
jean

Post by jean »

When I did it for my 60th birthday, one and half year agao, I did not worry about all that stuff....water, tea, full breakfast in the morning, snack at noon, good meal in the evening and a few pints....I did it in 18 days, the wrong way, John O'Groats-Land's End with the wind in my nose all the time and 14 days of rain in August.
Do not worry, just do it.
Have a good time.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree with all that's been said.

I had trouble in the heat, but Lemon and Barley Water/Kia Ora mixed in wour water bottle plus a pinch of salt - marvelous!

Eat, eat, eat !!!! AND ENJOY !!!

Mick F. Cornwall