Good saddle for female stoker comfort!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gadair149

Good saddle for female stoker comfort!

Post by gadair149 »

My husband and I have a Cannondale Mountain tandem which we love, but I am finding it difficult to achieve comfort in the - ahem - saddle region :oops: . I have a suspension seatpin which helps a bit, and a Ladies Turbo saddle which I have used loads on my mountain bike, but I am still getting sore quite quickly. Other Half is good at shouting if there is a bump, so I'm able to get up and take the load on my legs - it's generally while riding along that I'm feeling uncomfortable. Any tips or advice gratefully received! Cheers, Gail
boblo

Re: Good saddle for female stoker comfort!

Post by boblo »

Blimey a chance to reply on ladies 'bits'... :lol:

My wife uses a well broken in Brooks Pro (ladies version) when stoking on our tandem. It is a road bike rather than MTB type though. She finds she builds resilience over time i.e. put the miles in on a potentialy comfy saddle and so long as it suits you, you'll build capacity to sit for longer and your 'bits' should build resistence. She prefers leather over plastic/vinyl as it manages moisture better during the longer rides.

When we haven't ridden for a bit, she gets a bit of soreness in 'that' area but is able to build up again with regular riding. I understand Sudocream helps for a bit of external relief if there is any chafage in the undercarriage.... mind, that's true from male perspective as well.

Beware, if you choose a Pro, it takes some breaking in and is harder than Tungsten when new. However once broken in, it's like a pair of comfy old slippers.

If you'd prefer a more discrete off list discussion, happy to get Mrs Boblo to correspond directly.
Russell

Post by Russell »

It depends on where the soreness is but the least uncomfortable saddle* Mrs R has found is a Selle SMP TRK Saddle fortunately now quite cheap:

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/quikstore.pl?category=Saddles_Selle_SMP&and=1

Previous saddle was a Butterfly but this chafed on the inner thigh.

* we're still looking for saddle Nirvana
byegad

Post by byegad »

My wife uses a Specialized Body Geometry saddle. After getting one or her folder she ordered another for her Hybrid.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
cotterpin

Post by cotterpin »

Hi Gail
My ex had the same problem,which she solved by buying a "Terry Liberator". I still have the saddle, and you would be more than welcome to try it as i have no need for it anymore.
If you are interested please email me at mabraid@gmail (dot )com and i will forward pics.

mark
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Our custom built tandem was supplied by MSG Bikes in west sussex who were extremely thorough in their choice of components, including a a 'sit-bone' measurment for my lady stoker. The saddle provided was an SQLab 602 which comes in various sizes to suit. She has other saddles on other bikes but prefers the 602 out of them all but not having NOT tried those mention previously in this thread, a comparison can't be made.

I subsequently bought one for my own use and it is my most comfortable saddle to date. They are not cheap (£70 ish) but I got mine for £9 off eBay (amazing).

This link takes you to the German site and provides some background reading http://www.sq-lab.com/content/blogcateg ... 9/lang,en/

If you are near MSG Bikes why not pop in to discuss - or give them a ring: Shelagh is a tandem cyclist herself and Alastair is an absolute mine of knowledge on all things.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
horizon

Post by horizon »

gadair149 wrote: I have a suspension seatpin which helps a bit, and a Ladies Turbo saddle which I have used loads on my mountain bike, but I am still getting sore quite quickly.

Gail: could you just confirm that you are using this saddle on the tandem as well i.e. swapping it over? If "yes" or "no" it makes a big difference, I would suggest, to what folks may recommend.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Winkeladvokat

Post by Winkeladvokat »

Russell wrote:It depends on where the soreness is but the least uncomfortable saddle* Mrs R has found is a Selle SMP TRK Saddle fortunately now quite cheap:

+1 This has solved my partner's problems competely. Although she ended up with the narrower men's version - the women's was too wide. Well worth trying, particularly at that price.