Forum Home Page

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Mick F
Spambuster

Forum Home Page

Post by Mick F »

How often, if at all, is the Home Page refreshed?

If I'm logged in, and reading the various MBs and getting back to the Home page fairly frequently, quite often new postings are flagged up from the last time I looked.

But if I stayed on the Home Page, after, say, marking all forums read, will new postings show up automatically? Or do I have to 'go away' and come back to see?

Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Until someone better qualified that me comes along to answer the question: I would guess that the page that you see is updated with new posts everytime your machine sends a request to the server (i.e. you press a button to navigate somewhere). The new-post indicators will remain in place until you either read the post, or, possibly, leave that particular session - although this isn't as clear cut as you'd hope.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

It says on the home page "This data is based on users active over the past five minutes" which suggests it updates every 5mins.

Just hit the refresh button on your browser, for up to the second updates.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks, both, for that.

I suppose I was asking, whether the Home Page refreshes itself, or not.

I think it doesn't.

Would it not be better if it did?

Mick F. Cornwall
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

No, the home page doesn't auto-refresh. I think people might find that annoying, and since the info doesn't change very often I don't think it wouldn't give much benefit. To answer your last question, hitting the Refresh button in your browser will update the page, going to another page and back again probably will too.

Some browsers (certainly Opera, there may be a plugin for FireFox) allow you to set up a page refresh every n seconds yourself.

The page contents may not refresh if your browser settings make it use the cached copy more often, but if you manually hit the refresh button it should send a new request to the server. Each browser, and different browser cache settings, will do this differently.

The unread posts indicators are session-based, so only work when you log in (so the server knows who you are). The session ends when you log out or close the browser.
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.