SKS Germany Mudguard Fitting Instructions

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Tequilla6

SKS Germany Mudguard Fitting Instructions

Post by Tequilla6 »

Hi,

I know I shouldn't rant, but sometimes I get so fed up with poor products and services it makes me really mad. Most of the time I can let smaller items wash over, but sometimes I just have to stand back and state how terrible some of these products and services are. I will be posting this complaint to the company via E-mail and will be posting the same on my website and will update if I get any response from the manufacturer.

The item in discussion is a new set of mudguards purchased for my wife's brand new Islabike. It sunny outside and it seems a good a time as any in fitting the newly acquired mudguards from the manufacturer SKS-Germany. I am an intelligent chap and I can build the Ikea wardrobe or Argos special bookcase with the best of them and a set of mudguards seem easy in comparison. Unfortunately it seems not to be so, I knew I should have got them fitted when I purchased the new bike but that would have meant waiting another few weeks as Islabikes were out of stock of the said items.

First instruction ASSEMBLING
Open the polybag containing the fittings and check all parts are complete. To simplify the procedure prepare the stays first.

I have three poly bags, but that's not an issue as long as all the parts are there. Unfortunately looking on both sides of the instructions and on the cardboard packaging there is no sign of a parts list anywhere. So what am I supposed to check against to confirm that all parts are complete and accounted for? Should I know the parts list or do I have to obtain it from somewhere else?

Ok so leap of faith or a complete idiot, assume all the parts are there.

Next Instruction ASSEMBLING THE FRONT MUDGUARD
Insert endcap (1) into the fixed bridge, pass the stay (3) through hole in bolt (2) and push into the endcap (1) tighten with nut (4) as shown in Pic A.

Its a good diagram and I manage to get this part of the assembly correct, See I knew I could read these things. So what's the next instruction?

The SECU-Clip (5) should be fixed with the enclosed screws (6) to the frame eyes. Now I have 5 x 12mm screws and 3 x 25mm screws and 1 x 45mm screw. By deduction it's not going to be the 45mm screw as I only have one of them so it must be a toss up between the 12mm which gives me 2mm of thread on the fork as the SECU clips are 10mm thick or the 25mm that just about misses the wheel spokes when tightened up. From the look of picture B on the instruction sheet it seems I would be better to go with the smaller 12mm screws, even though they are not cross heads like shown in the picture. Perhaps I am missing the correct screws? Damn if only I had that parts list or there was a better idea on how long screw 6 should be. Lets keep to the descision and move onto the next instruction and hope I have picked the correct screw... :shock:

The prepared mudguard should then be clipped into the SECU-Clip (Pic C). :wink: They seem to have done that for me already so should I have taken off the SECU-Clips from the Stays first before fitting? Lets leave it as Job done and go on.

Bolt the front mudguard shackle with the enclosed screw to the break bolt. (Pic D) Now I didn't mention but I also have 3 x washers and can only assume that these go with the 3 x 25mm screws and must be for the rear mudguard fitting and so I am left with the single 45mm screw along with 5 x lock nuts. maybe the 5th one is a spare or it will come in useful somewhere else? :? The picture shows an exploded diagram of the bolted shackle and it seems the bolt goes in the front of the forks and the nut goes at the back with the shackle bracket.

What's next?Make the adjustment for the perfect fit (Pic E) So it seems that I must move the spokes and mudguard so I can get a perfect symmetrical gap between the mudguard and tyre. This does not seem right I have a reasonable gap between the top where the shackle is connected to the forks and some play, but the bit down by the pedal is sticking out a mile and touching the pedals :cry: with no enough adjustment at all. Maybe I have missed something but I don't think so. maybe the final instruction will help :?:

Secure in place by tightening the nuts (4) on the bolts (2). The protruding stay can either be cut off or fitted with an end cap. What :shock: , but they told me to fit the end caps first.... :roll: So the stays are too long and need to be adjusted to the correct length? The end caps don't have a hole in the top to allow for adjustment that way so maybe I need to fit without the end caps first to find out how long my stays should be?

So it's a job of completely dismantling the mudguard again and removing the end caps they told me to fit in the first place, which are now a bugger to get off and I have ended up scratching the plastic to bits as the fitted shackles acts a tiny mandolins shaving chunks of plastic off on the process.

For what should have been a simple job turns out to be a frustrating waste of time as I have no junior hacksaw with me in the camper van on our very nice camp site and will have to wait till I have the correct tools. Why do these people not give a bike a set of mudguards and this lousy instruction sheet to one of their finance directors or the receptionist and get them to fit the damn things :evil: . It may show them how poor the instruction sheets actually are and how negatively this simple bit of paper reflects on what maybe a decent product. It maybe but I for one would shy away from these accessories in future, unless I was getting someone else to fit them of course. But then again if you are working with bikes every day then who needs instruction sheets anyway.

Now I have removed everything from the bike now the chance of a picture, showing the efforts of the instruction sheet in fitting mudguards maybe slim. But it maybe worth my time just to rebuild again what the instruction sheet told me to do so you can see the result. Instead I thought I would spend my time in writing this little blog and letting everyone know of my frustrations and to say it has helped in making me feel better anyway. :D

Time for a beer I guess, Now where are the instructions for opening this damn bottle :shock:
Tequilla6
www.europeanescapades.co.uk

Current owner of a freebe Probike who wants to get into leisure cycling to loose the beer gut...burp
Tandem Man

Re: SKS Germany Mudguard Fitting Instructions

Post by Tandem Man »

Quite with you there old chap.

The instructions to assemble/build/install most things are usually dire in the extreme.

I bought a computer printer yesterday,two hours to get it set up,two hours!!

Another pet hate is receiving instruction books in umpteen languages ( step foward Sony ) and then immediately throwing all but the UK one in the bin along with the all the sheets of paper that tell you who the dealer/importer is in Kazakhstan.

And don't start me on excess packaging that you can't get into or we will be here all day....................

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

I spent the best part of a day fitting SKS guards to my Amazon - frustrating in the extreme - my LBS will sell but refuses to fit them! What's worse is the lie on the packaging - stainless steel fittings. Yes, SOME of them are stainless (the stays and brackets) but the nuts and bolts are not - cue order to Stagonset.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm a practical sort of a chap so may be at an advantage but IMO fitting mudguards to a bicycle isn't rocket science.

Edited for spelling mistake.
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Aug 2010, 11:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm a strict complier by nature and I understand written English quite well. I'd reserve a particular place in hell for people who sell stuff with inadequate or misleading instructions. This is often because they get somebody technically skilled to write them who has poor communication skills. It's made a lot worse with some imported stuff. My theory is that because many people the world over can get by very well in English, they think they can write technical instructions when they can't. (I presume that if they are exporting to, say, Mongolia, they use somebody fluent in Mongolian (or whatever the language is there.) I recently bought a Swedish telescopic ladder and the instructions are like the chef from the Muppet Show. Having read my car handbook, I tend to assume that most of Toyota's problems are caused by English-speaking engineers trying to decipher instructions in gibberish.

I've mentioned on here that I've bought a black box journey recorder for my car. The instructions begin
The commercial purpose GPS has the average rage (sic) error of more than 15 meters....

Although they meant range, they have a point.
Tequilla6

Post by Tequilla6 »

I'm a practical sort of a chap so may be at an advantage but IMO fitting mudguards to a bicycle isn't rocket science.

I agree, No it's not and as a practical sort of chap, now I have had a run through and know what I need to complete the job it will be sorted, ignoring the supplied technical instruction leaflet which is as useful as a chocolate teapot for my morning cuppa. My ire stems from the fact I wasted an hour of my morning trying to fit the said mudguards using the supplied instructions.

However if fitting a mudguard is not rocket science, I would suggest writing a set of decent instructions on how to do so would not be rocket science either. :roll:

Maybe we are a little more practical on this forum :?:
Tequilla6
www.europeanescapades.co.uk

Current owner of a freebe Probike who wants to get into leisure cycling to loose the beer gut...burp
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tequilla6 wrote:

I agree, No it's not and as a practical sort of chap, now I have had a run through and know what I need to complete the job it will be sorted, ignoring the supplied technical instruction leaflet which is as useful as a chocolate teapot for my morning cuppa. My ire stems from the fact I wasted an hour of my morning trying to fit the said mudguards using the supplied instructions.

However if fitting a mudguard is not rocket science, I would suggest writing a set of decent instructions on how to do so would not be rocket science either. :roll:

Maybe we are a little more practical on this forum :?:

You'll have to forgive me, I'm the sort of chap who reads instructions after fitting :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Not SKS mudguards but I found fitting them a PITA! Glad that my next bike came with them fitted.....but not with SECU-Clips which was also a rubbish job and getting the draw bolts tight took some doing.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I think that TC's unintentional word ITalien is an incredibly good description of the the torturer's that attempt to write these things. They can communicate with a computer but are alien to everything living.

The only other explanation is they have a more weird sense of humor than me. The wife says its not possible to find anybody more weird than me.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I have to say that I'm with r2 here - unless the sks mudguards of which I've fitted two pairs this summer (summer, he says, with a hollow laugh) are of a different model to the set initially under discussion, I don't understand the problem.

I suppose that I am now of an age whereby I've fitted so many sets of mudguards down the years that I don't even look at the 'destructions'. I know that's a bit arrogant and opens potential for problems.

Who remembers the white enamelled 'tin' mudguards, that you couldn't easily cut to fit the chain-stay bridge behind the bottom bracket? I have no nostalgia for those.

Edited to replace incorrect "seat-stay" with correct "chain stay", in the last paragraph
Last edited by JohnW on 18 Jun 2012, 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Just reached precisely the stage Tequila6 was at when he made the original post, and very pleased to find this thread and discover it's 'not just me'. I'm also not impractically minded and these instructions are really very poor indeed.

None too pleased, either, to be having to source four additional bolts longer than the supplied 12mm bolts to secure the struts to the mudguard eyes. I suspect that SKS didn't change the parts supplied to accommodate the secu-clips when they started supplying them with the mudguards.

Graham
Godders1

Post by Godders1 »

I fited a set of these on the better half's new commuting bike at the weekend. To be honest I din't struggle too much with fitting but I was slightly alarmed by the number of left over bolts and totally redundant (according to the instructions) washers! :? Would it be so difficult to provide a parts list?

I think I'll send SKS some "feedback".
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The instructions that came with mine were fundamentally flawed. They seem to have been written for how the guards used to work (when you could fit them, then trim the stays), and only slightly adapted for how they work now (when you must trim the stays before fitting).

Some companies regard instruction manuals as an afterthought, and it doesn't matter if they are wrong.
SouthernMan

Post by SouthernMan »

I agree 100% with the original poster. I tried to fit these mudguards last night before seeing this thread and found the instructions totally confusing and misleading in particular in relation to the end caps. Did you make contact with the manufacturers? I tried to access your website without success.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

I would suggest not fitting th eend caps as per the instructions. Put the fittings together without them and you'll probably have a length of stay sticking out. Mark the stay at the length you want it, take it apart, cut with a hacksaw, then refit and fit the end caps at the end (using just the part that goes over the stay, cut the other bit off).
Fitted a pair like that last week.