where should I go in November?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Northumberlander

where should I go in November?

Post by Northumberlander »

I'm a returning tourer. Did lots of cycle-camping in my youth, then lots with our young family too, but then somehow it all got left behind. How did that happen? Now as I hit 50 I'm rediscovering the joys of riding my bike again. Lovely - especially since we live in an area where many people travel miles to cycle - literally right on Route 1 in Northumberland.
My work is 'seasonal' - and I get the winter off. This year I'm hoping to go away on tour for a significant portion of November. I have a deep sense of foreboding about flying with my dear old Super Galaxy, and besides I just love travelling by train. So I've spent far too many hours researching the weather and cycle-friendliness in different bits of Europe which are 'south' enough to be tolerable for touring in November, and which are easily accessible with my bike by train. I've looked at the Danube and the Rhine routes, but they seem predominantly foggy areas in winter. And I'd like to see something... Loire is still on the shortlist...
Then it dawned on me - I'm sure this research will have been done before by more experienced heads than mine. So here I am with my first post, hoping that you can shed some inspiration and experience in my direction.
I'm not king-of-the-mountains material, and I don't really want anything too arduous. I don't want it to be a feat of endurance or survival either, so somewhere the weather in November is usually 'pleasant' (or at least 'not dreadful'!) Accessible by train, as I've said. And dotted with plentiful supplies of inexpensive accommodation.
Hoping you might have some good advice - thanks for being here.
mr riff raff

Re: where should I go in November?

Post by mr riff raff »

Northumberlander wrote:I'm a returning tourer. Did lots of cycle-camping in my youth, then lots with our young family too, but then somehow it all got left behind. How did that happen? Now as I hit 50 I'm rediscovering the joys of riding my bike again. Lovely - especially since we live in an area where many people travel miles to cycle - literally right on Route 1 in Northumberland.
My work is 'seasonal' - and I get the winter off. This year I'm hoping to go away on tour for a significant portion of November. I have a deep sense of foreboding about flying with my dear old Super Galaxy, and besides I just love travelling by train. So I've spent far too many hours researching the weather and cycle-friendliness in different bits of Europe which are 'south' enough to be tolerable for touring in November, and which are easily accessible with my bike by train. I've looked at the Danube and the Rhine routes, but they seem predominantly foggy areas in winter. And I'd like to see something... Loire is still on the shortlist...
Then it dawned on me - I'm sure this research will have been done before by more experienced heads than mine. So here I am with my first post, hoping that you can shed some inspiration and experience in my direction.
I'm not king-of-the-mountains material, and I don't really want anything too arduous. I don't want it to be a feat of endurance or survival either, so somewhere the weather in November is usually 'pleasant' (or at least 'not dreadful'!) Accessible by train, as I've said. And dotted with plentiful supplies of inexpensive accommodation.
Hoping you might have some good advice - thanks for being here.

Sunderland?
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
PW

Post by PW »

Ferry from Nice to Ajaccio??
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Andalucia or maybe on to Morocco?
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

mr riff raff wrote:Sunderland?

Bit harsh for a welcome to a newbie - but yes, valid point! :lol:

If you're looking November, you're probably looking at places like Portugal, southern Spain, southern Italy... or even across to Morocco as suggested before.

Wherever you go, good luck!
shane

Post by shane »

http://www.worldreviewer.com/world-weather/

Just choose how warm/cold you want it and how much rain, then choose november. :wink:
horizon

Post by horizon »

TwoPlusTen wrote:Wherever you go, good luck!

Because you'll need it.

As we have discussed on here before, even southern Spain can be dreadful in November. I would be inclined to fly to the Canaries but failing that, just accept that November isn't a very good month and plan your trip around that idea - warm clothes, good lights, eating in not outside, trips to museums etc. On that basis you could have a really interesting holiday in any one of a number of countries. But if you want nice weather you may need either to fly or become very adventurous.

PS Provence would be my choice.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As already suggested; Southern Italy, Spain, Portugal, Morroco, or Majorca. Majorca is where i am off to in November, not a tour as such but cheap hotel, hired bike (decent ones available) and some wonderful places to explore.

Don't forget Corsica has a ski season so may not be mediteranean in November.

After that it is southern hemisphere.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You don't mention your budget. Europe can be very expensive. Also in Nov, it can be a bit chilly (almost anywhere), plus short days and many campsites may be closed, so you may be (or want to be) in hotels.

Personally, I would bin your fear of flying and head east. A month somewhere like Thailand will be perfect in November. Airfare will be about £500 and you can easily live (food, lodging, beer, etc) staying in cheap hotels/guest houses for under £10 per day. Roads are great, scenery excellent, food outstanding, etc, etc. You can also travel a bit further afield to Malaysia, Cambodia, Lao, or Vietnam.

I fly twice a year with my bike and have no worries about taking it.

Have a look at www.crazyguyonabike.com for some interesting journals.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

TwoPlusTen wrote:
mr riff raff wrote:Sunderland?

Bit harsh for a welcome to a newbie - but yes, valid point! :lol:

You're right, I'm sorry. :oops:

Hartlepool? :shock:
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonhill wrote:Personally, I would bin your fear of flying and head east. A month somewhere like Thailand will be perfect in November. Airfare will be about £500 and you can easily live (food, lodging, beer, etc) staying in cheap hotels/guest houses for under £10 per day. Roads are great, scenery excellent, food outstanding, etc, etc. You can also travel a bit further afield to Malaysia, Cambodia, Lao, or Vietnam.

Brilliant idea.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Something I pondered on after I posted and has already been commented on;

Temps and nightfall. When in Majorca in November light starts to fade at about 5.45, by 6.30 it is pretty dark. Although the days are pleasantly warm for short sleeve cycling, the air can be coolish out of the sun and temps drop quickly as the sun sets, not viciously cold but certainly can be quite cool.

If you are cycle camping and using fairly solitary campspots then it is a long evening to entertain yourself with; book, x-stitch, map reading etc., by torch light in a small tent. But you might be the sort of person who relishes that sort of isolation.

One year I cycled camped in Scotland in October and most nights we were cooking by torchlight, and wondering how to fill the rest of the night, on a couple of occasions we slipped into a nearby YH and took advantage of their commonroom so we could sit and read more comfortably, it's surprising how you can fit in if you look like you belong there!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

mr riff raff wrote:You're right, I'm sorry. :oops:

Hartlepool? :shock:

Oh, now come on...

Darlington, maybe? :)

Seriously - what others have said. Get as far away as you can.

If you want it warm... Australia and New Zealand are also good; it'll be mid-spring there so shouldn't be too cold.
tonycurrer

Post by tonycurrer »

Hi,
I'm mainly writing to say that I now avoid flying too, and have never flown with my bike. Being in Durham I cycle to North Shields and take the ferry, which is a great way to begin a holiday, and then take trains from Amsterdam. In terms of cycle routes have you considered Bordeaux- Toulouse- Carcasonne- Beziers- Montpellier mostly along the Canal de Garronne and the Canal de Midi. It's the first tour I did. It's flat, tree-lined, which could be useful in protecting you from November rains and winds, and the cities you pass through are great to visit. I did this in summer, and it was all picture postcard stuff. It could be good in November too.
Hope you find something good!
Tony
dannyb

Post by dannyb »

I did a tour in Brittany in late October one year - from St Malo to Roscoff. Weather was ok apart from one day of very dense fog. I've also been to Brittany in the summer when there was torrential rain for three weeks and we saw the memorable sight of someone coming out of their caravan, climbing into a small dinghy and paddling to the camp shop...by the time we left, people on dry ground we're being asked to billet people who were flooded out...sorry, I digress.

There used to be a set of youth hostels reasonably well spaced out along the Brittany coast and I remember most of them being open in October but you would need to check for later in the year. The plus of this is you have somewhere dry to stay, warm shower, cook and spend the evening with electricity.