An armchair question

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Nutsey

Re: An armchair question

Post by Nutsey »

Pivut!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FW,
You do know that DFS stands for, Don't Fit Stairs

I'll get me coat...........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mill4six wrote:You need to read Douglas Adams' "Dirk gently's holistic space detective agency" The sofa problem is well covered along with how to dispose of old fridges.

Yep, read it!
Excellent stuff.

I loved the eagle with the RAF roundels.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

reohn2 wrote:FW,
You do know that DFS stands for, Don't Fit Stairs

I'll get me coat...........

I always wondered, now I know :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I had a similar problem with a settee from DFS, it wouldn't go in the front door because of the porch. We took it on a hundred yard detour to come in the back way through the shed (long narrow garden door both ends) even then I had to take the door off on the house end.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

dkmwt wrote:I had a similar problem with a settee from DFS, it wouldn't go in the front door because of the porch. We took it on a hundred yard detour to come in the back way through the shed (long narrow garden door both ends) even then I had to take the door off on the house end.

WHAAAT!!!!!! the couch was so big it had a "house end"with a door on too,Awesome! :shock: where can I get one of these settees so it won't fit into my house! :|
W H Auden
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

I'm moving house tomorrow morning, and have just realised my ikea sofa won't fit round the doorway into the hall. It was assembled indoors. Not even tried the bed and wardrobe yet...
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Nutsey wrote:I'm moving house tomorrow morning, and have just realised my ikea sofa won't fit round the doorway into the hall. It was assembled indoors. Not even tried the bed and wardrobe yet...

B&Q do a good range of "Allen keys" or for speed bow saws and glue :wink: Good luck witht the move I'm off to get some shut eye as I'm off to Wantage at 6am to wrestle with the sofa.

Moving far? or staying in the area?

Malc
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My wife is an avid follower of Big Brother. I am in the kitchen to avoid it. My wife just came in and announced "They are moving Vanessa Phelps into the Big Brother House." :shock:

As the lady chimp said on the PG Tips ad..."Cooee Mr Shifter..."

:wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:My wife is an avid follower of Big Brother. I am in the kitchen to avoid it. My wife just came in and announced "They are moving Vanessa Phelps into the Big Brother House." :shock:

They'll need a forklift truck to shift her!
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

reohn2 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:My wife is an avid follower of Big Brother. I am in the kitchen to avoid it. My wife just came in and announced "They are moving Vanessa Phelps into the Big Brother House." :shock:

They'll need a forklift truck to shift her!

Oh come now surely not she's only a size 12 these days! Oh yeah! and the band played believe it if you like!

Seriously good luck with shifting the sofa and let us know how you get on.

My son's bedroom furniture was assembled in the room, it will have to be sold with the house if we ever move as it certainly won't come out!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I've got a Chesterfield sofa in my living room. It belonged to Ally and when we split up a year or so ago she naturally took all her bits and bobs and a selection of furniture for her new home. I remember when we bought the sofa that the only way in with it was through the back of the house as it wouldn't fit through the front door. It was an epic struggle, but we made it. However when we came to remove it we discovered that it had swollen to about two inches wider than it had been, or the house had shrunk slightly, not sure which. Anyway after spending several hours trying we eventually gave up and it's now destined to remain a part of my house until I decide to get the chainsaw out and reduce it to fire wood. There comes a point when you have to give up and buy a new sofa.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Well we tried to wriggle it, push it, pull it, squeeze it, talk nicley to it but it still wouldn't go through the door. Chris and I tried for nearly two hours evry which way possibile. They now have to go to plan "B" an upholsterer will dismantle it and rebuild it in the flat, but at a cost! If the lounge door had been put in opposite the front door we'd have managed, it just!

IMG_0010w.jpg

IMG_0009w.jpg

IMG_0008w.jpg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Heartfelt sympathy - most of us have been there in one way or another. (And Bernard Cribbins could probably put that last post to music :wink: )
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FW it would be cheaper to take out the handrail and spindles to get it in,providing it will go past both doors if tipped slightly forward (on its knees),it should if the couch isn't the same length as the two doors are apart(it doesn't look like it is,it looks longer).I realise the flat is rented but so long as the handrail and spindles are taken out and replaced carefully no one will know :wink:
W H Auden