the new bike how it is going

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
markg0vbr

the new bike how it is going

Post by markg0vbr »

two months of riding the becchetta, 26x26 :D
the only odd thing with it is the front tyre gets so light it hardly touches the road and some times jumps a inch or two to the side, when powering up hill.
it has the 1.25 Kendra tyres on but i find them a comfortable ride, so i don't think i will Chang them, on todays ride i did 25.1 miles with 1272ft of clime at a average speed of 15.7 mph.
the euro mesh seat and open cell foam is good apart from the moist back, a ventasit pad might be the ticket for this.
although not as light as my old df race bike it is a lot lighter than the trike and flying along banking into corners is fantastic and like nothing i have ridden [url][/url]before.
better than the trike, no! just different, i could definitely go touring with it, the ski boot bag / side pods and the under seat rack and panniers.

on the down side i am not that big a fan of twist grip shifters, i find it difficult to Changing gear with wet / sweetie hands (i shatter my wrist ten years ago and i still cant grip properly with one hand) but with some very thin gloves i don't have a problem.
has anyone gone over to trigger shifters?
dkmwt

Re: the new bike how it is going

Post by dkmwt »

I changed to bar end shifters on my 2005 "S" for that^^^ very reason. Using the twist grip shifters also caused me the same numb hand problem that I had while riding upwrongs.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
byegad

Post by byegad »

+1
I opted for barends from the start when I bought my trikes. I hate twist grips especially if they are the wrong way round for cable run purposes as so many 'bents are.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
markg0vbr

Post by markg0vbr »

my trike has trigger shifters and some wrist rests, i love them.
with the very thin Cotton gloves that have a slight rubber coting on them they feel OK, but not as relaxing as on the trike.
Boycie

Post by Boycie »

Spooky that, you have just done exactly what I have, changed from a trike to a Bacchetta 26! And it sounds as if your experiences are the same as mine. Re the shifters, I have found them to be no problem. I had pretty much the same type (SRAM) on the trike, so i am well used to them now. That said, I always wear at least track mitts, more to stop me hands getting mullered in the event of coming off, but they ensure that i have no problems gripping the shifters.

I hope you continue to enjoy the Baccheta, its a cracking bike. I managed 75 miles on it last week, longest i have ever done on a bike full stop. My legs were toast for a day or so, but the rest of me was fine. Most comfortable thing i have ever ridden, apart from the trike. The only difference between the two is that I could fall asleep on the latter :D

I am intrigued that your front wheel is skipping about, not experienced that at all, and I do have my seat reclined as far as it will go.

Cheers

Phil
Phil
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

markg0vbr wrote:my trike has trigger shifters and some wrist rests, i love them.
with the very thin Cotton gloves that have a slight rubber coting on them they feel OK, but not as relaxing as on the trike.

What do you use for wrist wrests?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

Boycie wrote:Spooky that, you have just done exactly what I have, changed from a trike to a Bacchetta 26! ...
It would seem Bacchetta Giro 26 sales have been doing quite nicely these past few weeks, for I note our associate, Wildduck, has recently amended the list of chariots in his signature: I can only assume the Raptobike Midracer didn't appear and he got fed up waiting.
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Indeed. Arnold has alot to answer for (appropriate bad review will be appear at some point if I can be bothered) after repeatedly failed delivery dates and poor communication which left me frustrated and the dealer deeply embarrassed. I also had doubts about the midracer's build and quality (visited the showroom and workshop in June), as well as the ability to get any after-sales service. The Raptobike website is testament to what appears to be at best poor communication and probably, as I suspect, a company potentially having serious problems.

As a result I went back to my original choice. I had already test riden a Strada whilst at Spezi in April and was quite taken with it. Why I was swayed by some bling like the Raptobike I do not know. Anyway, I went with the similar geometry Giro 26 ATT (but more practical with the wider tyre choice) for a few weeks now and am getting along very well with it. Just over 50 miles today, a 66 mile audax tomorrow, the same next week and hopefully a 140 mile audax the week after. Found it very comfy and have almost got my seat position sorted. Not to mention on a local run of mine I now cruise regular at 20mph+. Fantastic!
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

So, next February on the day of the Kennet 100/200 audaxes, if I see a bike like this, parked outside the Tutti Pole in Hungerford, I might surmise it's yours, Wildduck:

Bacchetta Giro 26 ATT during a very wet audax

The seat on it: is it the ReCurve or EuroMesh? (Actually, I can see, from Bacchetta's seats page, it must be the EuroMesh.)

Incidentally, on the same occasion, this recumbent was parked the other side of the foot path. Can anyone identify what it is?

What make/model of recumbent is hiding here?
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Can't remember what stopped me attending that one this year but as long as the weather isn't too bad I should be along next February. Would be good to do the 200km but all depends whether the winter hinders/stops the training again.

Its been a good weekend though with 117 miles clocked on The Weeble. Just need to stop seat clamp sliding (there's some good advice from Bacchetta about giving everything a good clean, lube in the right places and reassembling) and continue to get the mileage in before the weather and the shorter hours impact too much.
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

MuirSR wrote:So, next February on the day of the Kennet 100/200 audaxes, if I see a bike like this, parked outside the Tutti Pole in Hungerford, I might surmise it's yours, Wildduck:

Bacchetta Giro 26 ATT during a very wet audax

The seat on it: is it the ReCurve or EuroMesh? (Actually, I can see, from Bacchetta's seats page, it must be the EuroMesh.)

Incidentally, on the same occasion, this recumbent was parked the other side of the foot path. Can anyone identify what it is?

What make/model of recumbent is hiding here?

It is not a Challenge / HPVelotechnik / ICE / Bachetta etc because of the rear triangle and low idler.

The only one I know with this configuration available in the UK is the Optima Baron:

MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

Well done, Cunobelin, I think you've got it!

Here's another picture of The Hidden One, showing that distinctive rear triangle:

Well done, too, Wildduck on your weekend's endeavours! The Kennet audaxes had pretty horrible weather this year, but at least it was rain, not snow.

Who's Arnold, the person you mentioned in your earlier post? I assume he's someone connected to Raptobike? Perhaps he is Raptobike?
Stephen
markg0vbr

Post by markg0vbr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
markg0vbr wrote:my trike has trigger shifters and some wrist rests, i love them.

What do you use for wrist wrests?

the bits normal sticking up from mountain bike handlebars, just put them under your trike grips with some sponge on them.
markg0vbr

Post by markg0vbr »

i have seen where some recumbenits are putting springs in the seat stays to give a better ride has any one seen any or had a go?
i put the front wheel going light down to the steepness of my ride 1240ft up and down in 17miles with a full watter bottle in the front cage it dose not do it.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

markg0vbr wrote:the only odd thing with it is the front tyre gets so light it hardly touches the road and some times jumps a inch or two to the side, when powering up hill.

I do that on my DF...
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.