resizing images to post on the forum

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
reohn2

resizing images to post on the forum

Post by reohn2 »

I want to post images on the forum but the images I have the file size is too big I think (over 2mb) the upload window says it will resize the image but it doesn't seem to work.Could someone help please.
Step by step would be appreciated (or dot to dot)for someone with the 'pooter skills of a goldfish!
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

Others may be able to help with the image manipulation features of this forum.

Alternatively forum users might be able to tell you how to reduce the size of images just using the programs on your computer... if you give us some of the following info.

Which program do you use to work with images? (Photoshop?) Which kind of computer are you using? (PC?) Which operating system are you using? (Windows XP?)
(Reason I ask is that many programs allow you to resize an image, but exactly what to click on depends on the program you use, the kind of computer and the operating system. )

Another thing that affects the size of an image file is the file format.
JPEG, TIF, GIF, BMP are some file formats. The file name will tell you this information, it might have.jpg, .bmp or something else at the end of the file name. If it is not JPEG you should be able to save it as a JPEG in order to reduce the file size.

If the image is a photo you've taken on a digital camera, what make and model of camera is it? (I ask because you can usually change the camera settings to keep the image file small so this could prevent the need for reducing the file size using your computer)

Let us have as much of this info as possible. Even if you only have some of this info people should still be able to help. :)
Last edited by Zanda on 27 Feb 2007, 3:35pm, edited 4 times in total.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Have you tried the link ThomasDylan posted on the "Create an avatar" thread? It works for me. :)
Guy

Post by Guy »

Actually, I fear it may turn out too small. Depends on the picture subject.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Here is what I do to load them :-

1) Click the Upload Picture button
2) Select the picture from my computer directory
3) Click Send . . . and wait for a few seconds for any resizing to take place
4) Next screen - click on Standard link

i.e.
- First screen : Ignore the various options - leave everything to default.
- Second screen : Click "Standard" *

* "Finish" would be a lot more useful. I don't know what is meant by "Standard"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Zanda,I have Photoshop(but get the colliwobbles when I open it though I have played around in there a bit)
PC is a dell dimension 5150
Windows XP
The files are jpeg
The photos where shot on a Panasonic DMCFZ30 at 8mp.I know about resizing in the camera(shooting at 5mp or 3mp but i wanted them for other things too and a lower file size would have meant that they wouldn't have been good enough)

Grayham,I've tried what you told me but after i've clicked on upload and the green bars fill up,all I get is 'Done' in the bottom left corner(It doesn't show the picture) so theres no 'standard' to click on like there is with a pic under 2mb, so can't move on to the next stage.

Guy I think the avater link size is too small (don't think there would be enough detail)
Also my 'pooter isn't a big red shiny one like yours :0(
julk

Post by julk »

R2,
Try this to reduce an 8Mb photo in Photoshop to about 2Mb :-

First launch Photoshop.

Choose 'File' from the top menu in Photoshop.
Choose 'Open' from the File menu.
In the Open window, navigate to and select the photo from wherever you have it stored in your computer.
Press 'Open' at the bottom of the Open window.

Choose 'Image' from the top menu in Photoshop.
Choose 'Image Size' from the Image menu.

An 'Image Size' window should open with the current image sizes.
Now :-
Select tick boxes for 'Constrain Proportions' & 'Resample Image (bicubic)'.
Reduce the width to half of the initial width value
(this makes the file about a quarter the original size).
Press OK at the top of the Image Size window.

Wait a bit until the photo is reduced in size...

Choose 'File' from the top menu in Photoshop.
Choose 'Save As' from the File menu, and overkey the new name you want for the smaller photo and select wherever you want it stored.
This is important as it will leave the original photo unchanged for you.
Press 'Save' to do it or 'Cancel' if you change your mind, both at the bottom of the Save As window.

Thats it.
I hope this is helpful.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks Julk I've managed it on those instructions.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have successfully posted various pics in the past, from both a 3,000,000 pixel camera and by scanning.

I have tried unsuccessfully tonight with a pic from a 7,000,000 pixel camera. File is 1.64 mb.

When I clicked send, it got to two geen bars, then it thought about it for a while, then announced 'Done' but the pic was not uploaded. I tried a couple of times with similar results.

Can anybody say if I am missing something obvious? I am not interested in what other programmes might solve it if the forum software is not up to the task. As noted by somebody above, there is a sign suggesting the re-sizing is automatic.
Si

Post by Si »

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, if not then: before changing the image size, make sure that the ppi is set to 72 (or less), anything above 72 pixels per inch makes no difference when viewed on your average monitor. Something like Gimp or Photoshop will allow you access this property of your image.
georgew

Post by georgew »

Using this small programme may help in that it’s pretty straightforward and easy to use.
IrfanView can be downloaded at http://www.irfanview.com/

Once downloaded simply click on the open file icon or the “open” contained in the “file” tab.
You will now see a window from which you can select the image you want to upload.
Double-click on this and it will appear on screen.
Now choose "image" from the tab. On the drop-down list presented, choose “resize/resample”
On clicking on this, a window appears which allows several options.
One can now choose to resize by using pixels, centimeters or inches or can choose from several set values.

When rescaling is complete go to the “file” tab and then “save” or “save as” as usual and the image will be saved to a place of your choice.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

georgew

Thanks for that.

I'll take it that the phrase 'larger images will be resized' means something else in the exclusive language of IT people.
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

Here's a nice easy program for resizing work:
http://www.coffeecup.com/pixconverter/
I've been using it for years.