New members wanted - Teesside - Sunday rides

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
cranky1

New members wanted - Teesside - Sunday rides

Post by cranky1 »

We are Teesside DA central section and currently suffering a bit of a membership defecit, due to the illness, work commitments and other such life events.

You can check the runs list on the main CTC site, but these generaly mean rides of up to 80 miles sometimes 100 on a Sunday averaging about 15 mph. (If the ride length seems a bit excessive the distance reduces in the Autumn and Winter so now is the best time to join us.

We take part in Sportives and other similar events (hell of the north)-- we do trips abroard (majorca is planned for next year)(again)-- we have a yearly summer tour of about four days (this year I think 9 people enjoyed a tour around Teesdale/Cumbria/Scotland/Northumbriashire/and back via Durham)- you can read an excellent acount of the ride here http://gasbags.wikidot.com/23-2010-ctc- ... -jeff-mike - we also have a christmas lunch at the lordstones cafe on Carlton Bank

The Sunday Rides include a cafe stop and usually end in a pub for light refreshments.

We are very welcolming to new members(we might even speak to you after a few months) :wink:

So whats not to like?

If you enjoy getting out around the lanes try joining us you never know you might like it.
Be carefull out there.
cranky1

Re: New members wanted - Teesside - Sunday rides

Post by cranky1 »

O K this has been on here for a couple of weeks now and to date 27 people have had a look. As there have been no replies or extra bodies at the Sunday rides I can only assume that there is interest from people looking to have a bit of company while out for a ride but are put off by somthing (perhaps its my picture-very off putting I know)in the details. If this is you then let us know where we are going wrong. The ride lengths can be shortened in fact they are in the Autumn in fact your suggestions on how to attract new members to our little group would be most welcolme.
Be carefull out there.
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

cranky1 wrote:O K this has been on here for a couple of weeks now and to date 27 people have had a look. As there have been no replies or extra bodies at the Sunday rides I can only assume that there is interest from people looking to have a bit of company while out for a ride but are put off by somthing (perhaps its my picture-very off putting I know)in the details. If this is you then let us know where we are going wrong. The ride lengths can be shortened in fact they are in the Autumn in fact your suggestions on how to attract new members to our little group would be most welcolme.

I don't live in Teeside, but if I did one look at the distances and speed would be enough to put me off.

One thing you have to do, is cater for the new member who is not as fit as the rest of the group while at the same time ensuring the members still have the type of ride they enjoy. What we do here in Swale CTC is when there is a long fast ride one of the slower members (me) leads a shorter ride, it seems to work although sometimes I'm all alone :( in that case I nip back home to bed :wink:

Maybe if you offer a slower, shorter ride and either do a fast ride if no-one shows up or at the end of the slow ride those who prefer a fast ride can carry one.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Even "50 miles and 10mph" is enough to put off anyone who isn't a very regular rider - and it was a revelation to find I could do it as an overweight 50-year old on a road-ified mountain bike - even after 23 years of commuting 10 miles a day - and latterly as hard as I can.

After a dozen such rides, I'm still the slowest rider (or walker, come to that) on challenging hills. We rode over the Mendips a few weeks back and it was enough to make an otherwise steady 60-mile ride with cake and lunch breaks about as much as I could cope with. (more than once I fancied camping overnight in a hedge :lol: ).

That said, we all need to be pushed a little ...
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

Thanks for that.

Teesside has a lot of groups that seems to cater for a wide range of interests and abilities. For instance there is a Sunday morning group that go in for shorter rides and I understand at a bit slower pace. Our group does go a bit further and a bit faster perhaps but when out and about and on organised rides I often see lone cyclists and I suppose that this post is just to let them know that they would be welcolme to join us and what sort of thing doing so would entail.

One recent group ride was in fact reduced to a single body.

I suppose that I should say that the distances are from my home approx 10-15 miles from the usual start points, so the actual ride distances are a bit shorter than indicated.
Be carefull out there.
EArmstrong

Post by EArmstrong »

Wow, Excellent.

I'm comming to Teesside University on the 26th of September, and was worrying about the cycling fix (I'm a member of the CTC and have ridden with the Huddersfield branch all summer).

Can I PM you about some details cranky1?

Euan
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

Cheers Euan

We had a young feller from the University join us last year but he had to move to Cornwall to continue his course.

We meet on Sundays at Hartburn Shops, Marton Shops and Kirklevingington where there arn't any shops so we make do with the bus shelter. This weekend 26 Sept we will be meeting at Marton shops for a run to Nunnington although as this is a bit far for early Autumn we might cut short to Helmsley instead. After this we are on to a new runs list that hasn't been produced yet.

P.M me if you want to regarding contact details etc, although this is on the CTC main website under north east, teesside, central section. contact details are there but i can't guarentee that any E mail will be answered and somtimes phone calls arn't returned.

With regard getting to the starts PM me with details of your address and we will be able to give directions or meet you en-route.
Be carefull out there.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Distance and speed are off putting even for regular cyclists who are not club riders. If you were offering shorter slower rides you would get more riders and some of them would end up doing the longer faster rides you mention.

Just my opinion.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

I realise this is an old thread, however just to clarify what cranky1 said, there are other groups within Teesside CTC who ride shorter distances and or more slowly.

There are apart from the Central Section, The Hard Riders, Sunday Morning Section, The Easy Riders and Mid week Peddlars.
I have ridden with them all and can say they cover pretty much most abilities. The Central Section in my opinion are the quickest group and probably cover the longest distances. It is possible to do as byegad suggests. Ride with other groups and move on to the Central Section rides when one feels able. Inspite of the speed/distance of the central section runs, I have never known anyone to be dropped and left.

The section website has lists of runs and contacts.

www.communigate.co.uk/ne/ctctsda/Share
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

Thanks for that Beachcomer
Be carefull out there.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

100 miles at 15mph? In my dreams perhaps. (I work in Teeside).
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

Mark

Not all the rides are 100 miles - in fact most are about 60 - If you are bothered about the distance now is the time to start getting out as the length of the rides reduces over the winter. The shorter rides help to maintain a bit of momentum over the winter months and give a bit of a boost in the spring when the days get a bit brighter.

Check out the runs list if you fancy joining us.
Be carefull out there.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Mark1978 Try riding with the Sunday group who meet at Hartburn shops. Their max speed would be 15mph average around 12mph and the distance about 30 miles especially in autumn/winter.

If you work shifts why not try the midweek pedlars. Average speed around 12mph. Some of the group even slower. They just plod along at their own pace and meet us at the cafe/pub. Have a look on the website.

Cranky1. There is a new CTC Teesside website in the making. It will be possible to connect to it from the old site. At present I can't find the link. When I find the site I will try to post a link on here.

Andy
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Hoping to meet up with Cestria once the weather improves. But I fear than on a hybrid I'll never be quite on pace.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Mark1978 wrote:Hoping to meet up with Cestria once the weather improves. But I fear than on a hybrid I'll never be quite on pace.

We have a new member on the Mid week rides, he rides a rigid MTB on road tyres. Some of the mid week group are 70+. I'm a young lad in their company at 55. :lol: I'm sure you would be able to hang onto someone's wheel. :D

Cranky1.
This should take you to the new website. It is still under construction but will be fully working soon.

sites.google.com/site/ctcteessidegroup