Plusses

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
robbo

Plusses

Post by robbo »

Does anyone still ride in them? I know the more sporty type of cyclists use the term "plus Two wearers" in a disparaging way about the CTC, but surely it's years since anyone seriously cycled in them, apart from "classic bicycle" riders?
Si

Post by Si »

IIRC Ralpha have started to make a modern version of them - no doubt in the hope of appealing to the retro chic / courier-look market. Bloody expensive through.

If anyone knows of somewhere that sellsmore traditional/affordable ones, then I'd be interested!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I always understood that Plus 4's were so called because they required 4" more cloth. (I got that from my dear old dad who was in the textile trade.)

I also understood that once upon a time, when people wore suits much more than they do now, that it was quite common among the better off to have a suit made with both plus 4's and conventional trousers, for wear according to use. (Go to a posh outfitters in a shooting area and this sort of thing still is available.)

Plus two's were just a bit more sporty. It was only recently that Tudor seemed to stop doing their version of plusses. I wore them for years and the main problem was that the cotton fabric was useless when wet. I thought that bibknicks (or whatever you call them) were the modern equivalent. The main point in cycling terms is that they keep your knees warm when the weather looks warm but it isn't. (I am unable to say if bibknicks have been adopted by the golfing, or huntin',shootin', fishin', communities but I doubt it.)

The progress of the cycling fashion was, as is so often the case, captured by Helms. Baz gave way to Honk with the demise of plus 2's.
robbo

Post by robbo »

Si wrote:IIRC Ralpha have started to make a modern version of them - no doubt in the hope of appealing to the retro chic / courier-look market. Bloody expensive through.

If anyone knows of somewhere that sellsmore traditional/affordable ones, then I'd be interested!

http://www.spencers-trousers.com/plus_twos.php
Si

Post by Si »

robbo wrote:
Si wrote:IIRC Ralpha have started to make a modern version of them - no doubt in the hope of appealing to the retro chic / courier-look market. Bloody expensive through.

http://www.spencers-trousers.com/plus_twos.php

Blimey, nice but what a price. No doubt a lot of craftmanship goes into their making, but a little to costly for me!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Plus Two's...I'm getting flashbacks..... "the worlds oldest cyclist Augustus Windsock is going to show you how to make a right-hand turn."
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Si, Check these out. 8)
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Just noticed the waist sizes!...maybe you could start doing a lot more cake stops before buying them?
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

More Here (plus other styles & materials on the site)

search for "Breeks" on Google and eBay. 8)
Si

Post by Si »

Tempting, very tempting.... :D
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

And there's more, come here.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Terry T

Post by Terry T »

Gamekeepers riding bikes, whatever next :?: :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Try http://www.alexander-james.co.uk/ my brother in law's company and The Daily Telegraph's rural retailer of the year 2007.He will make made to measure or off the peg.All his stuff is made in England and all materials are made in the UK. :)
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

It's a shame the Hebden Cord Co. are no longer. Their plusses had double seats. They made good shorts too! :wink: