Plastic hats for cycling

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.

The title of this board : I prefer -

Plastic Hats for Cyclists
53%
Cycling Helmets
35%
Other ( please post your suggestion )
12%

Total votes: 43

Graham

Plastic hats for cycling

Post by Graham »

What is wrong with the title "Plastic hats for Cycling" ??

It is factually correct and doesn't carry the emotive baggage of the "helmet" word . . . . where in common-usage "helmet" implies safety, protection, sensible behaviour.
Last edited by Graham on 1 Oct 2010, 11:05am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No longer a sticky topic.
gaz

Re: Plastic hats for cycling

Post by gaz »

Whilst sorely tempted to suggest [Polystyrene Hats] or even [rude word removed] I think Cycle Helmets would be most dignified.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I agree with gaz that Cycling helmets does seem better.

Will everything to do with the contentious subject be transferred to here. I hope so.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cunobelin wrote:Image

There is little new in the world. Back in my schooldays - early 1960's, there was an article in the Yorkshire Evening Post heralding the introduction of a similar item for the person doing point duty in City Square in the middle of Leeds. I never saw it in use, and a few years later when I was in a position to ask about it, I discovered that it had "not worked" from the outset (presumably because it had been sabotaged.)
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

Magic Hats?
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

UFOs

Unprotecting Foam Objects

lol, cycle hlemets will do :lol:
brother nathaneil

Post by brother nathaneil »

Helmets are what they are called, so that's what I voted for. Whether that implies protection or not is irrelevant to the title in my oppinion. Calling them anything else implies that that they don’t work and is antagonistic for the sake of it. Whether they work or not is a matter for discussion, hence the forum change I guess, but they are definitely called "helmets" :roll:
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com
byegad

Post by byegad »

I own two cycle specific Polystyrene Hats and one skate board specific Helmet. The difference is that the helmet has a hard shell and covers as much of my head as the helmet I bought in 1969 with my BSA Bantam.

I used to wear a 'Cycle Helmet' on my commute and stopped when I bought a recumbent bike in 2005. I found that falling off, something I did quite a lot while I was learning to start and stop, (I was developing a balance problem, of which more later.) didn't bring my head into contact with the ground, even when I fell just right (wrong?) and my shoulder missed the kerb edge my head didn't hit the pavement. After reading a massive amount on helmet effectiveness and in some cases dangers, I decided to stop wearing one on uprights too.

I was advised to avoid two wheels in April 2008 due to my balance issues so now ride my Trice QNT (Which I bought in 2007.) and the Kettwiesel which I bought as I started to sell my DFs. In winter I found the higher speed* descending that the trikes allow caused me problems with wind chill on my head, even with a cap and woolly hat on, made my sinuses act up so I bought the Skate Board helmet which has very limited vents and ear protection to keep my head warm. It worked so I keep it for winter rides.
*Recumbent so better aerodynamics and three wheels so more secure braking, a locked wheel doesn't equal a crash.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
horizon

Post by horizon »

Cycle helmets (not cycling helmets)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
meic

Post by meic »

I LIKE the title.

Plastic hats is what they are. Helmets is what they pretend to be and I dont see why we should do the manufacturers' mis-information for them.

I DO have a proper helmet at home but dont need one for cycling in.
Yma o Hyd
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I'm not sure that helmets is an accurate description but it will do - something else may be more correct but will just be a distraction for the helmetistas. It does grate a bit that we grace them with a title they haven't justified.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Simply 'Helmets'

That also legitimises tangential discussion on helmets for motorists and pedestrians which are often a valid offshoot to discussion on the cycle variety.

On the other suggestion, why plastic?
Mine's made of cotton :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

keepontriking wrote:Simply 'Helmets'

That also legitimises tangential discussion on helmets for motorists and pedestrians which are often a valid offshoot to discussion on the cycle variety.

+1
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

keepontriking wrote:Simply 'Helmets'

Good suggestion.