MERCIAN

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

Re:MERCIAN

Post by JohnW »

Sorry, bad manners on my part to not thank MickF and everyone else - thank-you everyone.

JohnW
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thank-you to everyone who helpfully responded – you gave me the confidence and I have ordered a Mercian frame. My visit to the shop to be ‘interviewed’, measured and sat on their adjustable jig confirmed my decision. The service was friendly and professional with relevant and helpful advice, and traditional real cyclist talk and banter, and as many choices and options as one could desire including building around my own 'Nervex' lugs.

All this is not to demean any other frame-builders, some of whom I am aware offer similar and excellent service, but I do confirm Mercians’ professional approach and their desire to produce quality frames.

Some respondents suggested that Mercians are expensive; this is difficult for me to judge because, like most custom built frames, mine will be unique. Whilst Mercians are not the cheapest, various ‘standard’ frame costs that I have had from other builders (some from web-sites) for comparison suggests that they are not especially expensive, and anyway you don’t get fillet steak for the price of corned beef.

JohnW
Marc

Post by Marc »

JohnW

Well done, you took your time to choose, one thing I am going to be pedantic about is that wait will be worth it, good on you . . .

Marc
jimbo125

Post by jimbo125 »

Investment casting is a process where the desired shape is formed in wax, which is then coated in a powder to male a ceramic shell around it. The wax is then melted out, leaving the ceramic shell to cast the steel. It is just another method of casting which is useful for intricate shapes, but doesn't really give a different result to any other type of casting. The medium used in TIG welds will be a steel alloy. TIG welding is cheaper than any other method and doesn't result in an inferior frame. It does however mean that tubes with thicker ends needed to be used because of the higher temperatures used but this weight is ofset by the lack of a lug.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Marc -

The wait is 16 to 20 weeks I am told - they seem to be quite busy, which also builds confidence.

JohnW
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

In the waiting period for my new Mercian, I have discovered something else to complement them on - they are very patient and understanding when dithering customers (me in particular) keep phoning them with queries and alterations.

They really understand cyclists.

JohnW
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi John,

I'm so glad you're happy with Mercian. When I had mine made, I did it all through Royal Mail! I told them MY demensions and which frame and colour I wanted, braze-ons and stuff. I sent them a deposit, then a bit more, then paid the bill in full as I could afford it.

This was in the days before Internet and websites. I still have all the invoices and letters, all handwritten and typed.

It was back in 1986. My ruby flamboyant Vincitore is 21 this year. I may throw a party!

Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Oh yes, MickF - you gotta have a party, if only as an excuse to get your friends round to talk bikes.

Regards,

JohnW
robbo

Post by robbo »

There's an idea, a Mercian party.
JohnP

Mercian

Post by JohnP »

We treated ourselves to a Mercian custom made tandem for our 25th wedding anniversary. The bike (now 14years old) has been exccellent and the service that we have had from Mercian is faultless.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thanks JohnP for bringing this thread back to life.

Just by coincidence, Mercian phoned me yesterday to say that my frame is now made and ready for my pre-painting eyeballing. I'm going to Derby on Monday.

Boy, am I excited?

I shall report back.

JohnW
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

Mercian

BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED SINCE I HAD IT BUILT TO ORDER IN 1982 AND BUILT IT UP MYSELF WITH CAMPAG RECORD - WENT ALL THE WAY TO DAVE LLOYD'S BIKE SHOP TO PURCHASE THE BITS!

Ooops, sorry for that! But it is still beautiful and an absolute classic. Paint job is a deep pearl blue with white seat tube with red 'barber's pole' and white head tube, all lugs are white lined as well.

Must get around to riding/polishing it more often!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Come on Oracle! How's about a photograph!

Here's one of mine!

Mick F. Cornwall
chris531

MERCIAN

Post by chris531 »

I have followed this link with great interest as I have three Mercian's and have trained,toured and raced on Derby's finest for years. All my bikes are custom made to my spec and I don't think it is any disadvantage not
meeting the frame builders as Jeff Bowler in the shop is very experienced
in frame design and spec. The only problem I have had was picking a colour as the more I looked the more I liked! Take a look at my Mercians on my Flicker page.

Chris

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris531/
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Yeah - deciding on colour is a real problem : I had two schemes in mind, and I agonised over which to go for, they were both quite different. Which ever I'd gone for I would have wondered if I'd done the right thing.

However, I've seen the frame in it's pre-painted form and now I can't wait to go and collect the finished article.

What you say about Jeff Bowler is quite true Chris, and he really is very helpfull - very willing to share his knowledge and obviously very cosiderable experience. I have found the same with all the contacts that I've had with Mercian and this is my first frame from them, so they're not protecting a long standing and mega-spending existing customer. I will, however, go back to them for any future frames.

I will tell the world when I've collected my new frame.

JohnW