Shot in the foot with a wooden spoon

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Shot in the foot with a wooden spoon

Post by thirdcrank »

The man with the ostrich tail feathers is Captain John William Nott Bower, one side of the historic decided case Ellis v Nott Bower (1895) which established that a cycle is a vehicle and was the cornerstone of much campaigning in the earlier part of the twentieth century to protect the right of cyclists to use the carriageway and was arguably even more significant than recent events in Telford.

Although the hat and the cause may be impressive, the actual legal case is a bit of an anti-climax. In early attempts at traffic reduction, many cities had bye-laws prohibiting the use of vehicles for purely advertising purposes. Mr Ellis cycled around the city of Liverpool using his bike as a mobile billboard. A diligent member of Liverpool City Police, of which Captain N B was chief, took his name and address. The case went to appeal, and even though J Franklin was only a glint in his great grandfather’s eye, it was held that a cycle was a vehicle.

I see from this weeks email newsletter that a similar case is pending in Doncaster and that the CTC, with an amazing display of ignorance of history, is awarding the local authority a wooden spoon for mean-mindedness.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Few people realise also that Captain Bower was also the inventor of the cycle helmet.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

horizon

I fear I have shot myself in the foot with a lead balloon. :oops: In spite of my flippant tone, every word is true. The pic is of the old boy himself; he eventually retired as Commissioner of the City of London Police at the age of 75 in 1925.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Not at all, thirdcrank. Before I came on this message board about a year ago, I was blissfully unaware of the significance of the cycle being a vehicle, that sustrans was held in some contempt and that cycles could conceivably be thrown off the road. It was my direct experience of cycle ways in recent years that started me thinking along these lines but I didn't expect to find the strength of feeling amongst other cyclists that I did. I find the Jon Snow debate particularly painful as I hold Snow in great regard and yet do acknowledge that he is espousing views that go right to the heart of cycling. No, your review of the original case was most enlightening and reminds us that our "right to ride" hangs on the slender thread of a case of advertising on a vehicle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On another thread I queried whether we needed a president at all. Somehow, in 2007, a relatively small interest group with a president is a bit reminiscent of Peter Sellers or Peter Ustinov decked out in braid and trimmings. Perhaps I should relaunch the pic as a suggested outfit for the CTC president.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

With a bit of clever Photoshop-ing, you could make Captain Bower have a 'Kitchiner' pointy finger, saying "Your CTC needs you!"

Mick F. Cornwal
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just occurred to me. If Captain Wotzit hadn't existed, a bicycle may not have been defined as a vehicle at all!

So, if a bike weren't a vehicle:

1. Lights? No need for them!
2. Silly pedal reflectors? Who needs 'em?
3. You could ride on the pavements, legally! In and out of all the pedestrians with impunity!
4. How about riding on Public Footpaths?
5. Zebra Crossings?
6. We could ride where we liked! Wow! Either, or any side of the road!
7. What traffic lights? Not for me! They're for vehicles!
8. One Way Streets? Hee Hee Hee!

Wouldn't life on two wheels be different?

Mick F. Cornwall
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Mick F wrote:Just occurred to me. If Captain Wotzit hadn't existed, a bicycle may not have been defined as a vehicle at all!

3. You could ride on the pavements, legally! In and out of all the pedestrians with impunity!
5. Zebra Crossings?

Mick F. Cornwall

A significant number of people who ride bicycles seem to do most of this anyway!
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

Mick F wrote:Just occurred to me. If Captain Wotzit hadn't existed, a bicycle may not have been defined as a vehicle at all!

5. Zebra Crossings?

Mick, were you being ironic :?:

Mick F. Cornwall
julk

Post by julk »

Mick F had the idea first...

Made on an AppleMac (of course)