Suitable helmet for touring

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Cunobelin

Re: Suitable helmet for touring

Post by Cunobelin »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Re the Tilley hat - I like the look of it but surely the brim flaps up when traveling?
I recall old cowboys in films wearing hats with up-turn front brims as they galloped across the plains to shoot some pesky injuns.
:?

The Tilley Brim is more than stiff enough at cycling speeds, and the retention system will keep it in place
PW

Post by PW »

If you're moving on a bit fasten up the shade or downwind side of the Tilley brim with the press stud, so it looks like a WWII Aussie bush hat, then there's no aerofoil effect and it won't want to fly off even if you don't use the chinstrap. (Personally I use the back strap most of the time).
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The Benny Hill picture does show one useful thing though - the red thing around his neck. I used a similar thing on a recent tour of southern Israel - in the market it was sold as a Bandana.

If you will be wearing a helmet then you will probably need something to protect the back of your neck from the sun. But a Tiley hat will probably solve that problem. Still the neck bandana is very useful as it can be soaked in water, does not take much, and put back around your neck to aid cooling - very effective and small to carry. (It might not work as well in areas of very high humidity but it can still keep the sun off your neck)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Which brings us to......

The Buff!

Excellent piece of kit
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I always wear a helmet, just like I would not drive a car without seatbelts or airbags. Personally, I know two people who have sustained life-changing brain injuries while cycling without a helmet. I have also witnessed a few crashes of friends who were wearing one, and came off unscathed. Of course, this is all anecdotal, but I will never forget the sight of my helmet wearing young son riding in front of me, and who came down head first and crashed into the concrete kerb of the road. He had no injury whatever, even though it was the kind of hit that would have cracked an unprotected skull.
As for comfort, fit is the most important thing. I need a large one, and the Giro Atlas XL is the only one that works for me. Ventilation is the second most important thing. Modern helmets have many more and larger vents than older ones. They have also become rather lighter. By and large, with more expensive helmets you get more ventilation and lighter weight. If you want the safest helmet, get one that meets both the EU standards, and the american ones (many do).
Willem
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Forget the European standards!

EN1078 is considered so worthless in the US that they are banned from sporting events!
Ron

Post by Ron »

matt2matt2002 wrote:However, I think it may be safer to wear one when abroad amongst all those crazy folk who insist on driving on the wrong side of the road!

Driving on the wrong side of the road is worrying in whichever country you encounter it, but my touring experience in Europe would indicate you are more likely to be endangered by "crazy folk" (drivers) in a country where they are supposed to drive on the left. :(
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

I like the Bell metro.
You can stick rain cover/rar lamp/mirror on it. Raincover keeps my head warm in winter. It looks low key/versatile as well