XM 046?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

XM 046?

Post by Mick F »

Just looking at my BB.

Campag Chorus 111mm.
XM046.jpg
What does this mean?
I've never noticed it before.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Re: XM 046?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Could just be a QC code.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Quality Control?

Why isn't it on other things?
.... or haven't I found one yet?

I wondered if it was a Lot Number. The axle is hardened steel and hollow, it must have taken quite a bit of manufacturing. It's good to think that if you pay for quality, the manufacturer takes it seriously.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Could be batch or type number and/or a date code.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Or a part number for the axle?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

snibgo wrote:Or a part number for the axle?
Don't think so.
It comes complete with the bearings, and Campag don't use part numbers like that.
BB.jpg
Unless, perhaps, that Campag actually don't make them, and it is a part number for some outside contractor.

Citroen do an XM.
Mick F. Cornwall
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

XN 594 anyone?

See link!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26033

Only adds to the confusion I guess!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Makes it more likely a batch/lot/machine ID for QC or reference
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Someone with a sick sense of humour?

Stamp a random number on a part thinking...

"That'll set someone wondering in a few years!"
neilob

Post by neilob »

Hardened steel is graded to an international scale that has a range XL to XZ, with XZ being the very best. So despite Campag's reputation for quality it suggests that they are saving money on sourcing their axles. I'd be tempted to swap it for a Shimano BB which is clearly superior and usually stamped XW or XX. The 046 numbers probably refer to the carbon content (4.6%). Thinking about it, I'd be so embarrased riding with a XM046 axle that I'd probably take my steel Mercian and exchange it for something from Tesco - their £59.99 MTB is a stunner.

Boring when its raining isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

About 15 years ago I was cycling on my then racing bike when the bottom bracket axle broke, I hit the ground hard and broke some ribs. Very sore. It was made by FAG, one of these cheapish bottom brackets of German origin. This axle didn't have CrMo stamped on it. Since then it's CrMo for me. I use Shimano BBs since. Haven't had another similar breakage, but a friend of mine has had a Shimano crank break.

XM046 means a Kiss for MickF on his 46th birthday. The zero is to allow for him reaching the ton. The axle was manufactured by a sultry Italian maiden called Claudia Emmetini.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

neilob wrote:Hardened steel is graded to an international scale that has a range XL to XZ, with XZ being the very best. So despite Campag's reputation for quality it suggests that they are saving money on sourcing their axles. I'd be tempted to swap it for a Shimano BB which is clearly superior and usually stamped XW or XX. The 046 numbers probably refer to the carbon content (4.6%). Thinking about it, I'd be so embarrased riding with a XM046 axle that I'd probably take my steel Mercian and exchange it for something from Tesco - their £59.99 MTB is a stunner.

Boring when its raining isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Surely this isn't correct? Perhaps it is, but BB spindles need to be tough, not hard. If I remember my apprenticeship well enough. Hard would equal brittle.

Either way, I wouldn't be seen dead with a Shimano BB, especially with a Campag Chorus chainset! More so because I'd be ruining it as JIS isn't long enough to fit ISO cranks.

On holiday in Malta this week. Thunderstorm yesterday evening. We've been out all day and now it's hammering down again!
Mick F. Cornwall
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

I have to comment here that -based on lots of unscientific and anecdotal evidence - Campag are beginning to lose their reputation. It's been suggested that they are under such competitive pressure with their homeground invaded by another outfit in the last few years, and their pricing policy is clearly geared to the rich idiot (the latest Super Record cransket costs nealry as much as a SRAM Red groupset). I think the Japanese have hurt them too, because Shimano are so much bigger they have a larger R&D budget and can buy machine tools Campag probably can't afford. I'm told that the latest Ergo levers are greatly simplified and much more unreliable than their predecessors (two terms that don't often go together) and I think the UT design is rubbish - who would press fit bearings to the cranks? But hey, if you're prepared to pay 50 quid for a tool to fit the chain, then I'm sure Mrs. Campagnolo's children will happily go after the rest of your cash. Very sad, but perhaps there are not enough critical thinkers buying bike kit to look beyond the marketing hype...
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Pliptrot, funny that, but I was just thinking this morning (out in the 2 Deg'C sunshine 8) ) that Campag are boxing themselves into a corner. They keep "updating" kit so fast, and doing away with previous models that people won't keep up with them.
I can buy Shimano kit that is still compatible with stuff I bought 10 years ago.
Try that with Campag'?

(P.S. I don't think MickF is a rich idiot. :twisted: :mrgreen: )
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume neilob is taking the, er, mick?

I googled XM046 and the Alibaba tire company uses it as the reference number of a BMX tyre tread; the German branch of Amazon is selling 6' (or rather 180mm) plastic Christmas trees; a couple of different fashion houses have swish togs advertised - all using this reference.

If Campag is going to seed (and I blame these yanks calling it 'Campy') I don't think this is evidence of it.