Spanish cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
django44

Spanish cycling

Post by django44 »

After doing end to end and side to side earlier in the year, I am thinking of trying somewhere a bit warmer next year probably Spain. Does anybody know anything about cycling in spain.I rarther fancy santander to gibralter, but am a bit worried about the mountainous terain as I am not in the first flush of youth,would it be best to stick to main roads?
Winkeladvokat

Re: Spanish cycling

Post by Winkeladvokat »

Check out the Ruta de la Plata and the pretty comprehensive route information here:

http://www.rutadelaplata.com/

I've not done it but I have been to a few of the areas before. Would be an absolutely fantastic trip!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

THE tour to do in Spain is the Camino de Santiago. I did it in about 1995 with 2 friends. We cycled from Barcelona into France, back into Spain and all the way to Santiago. Loads of people do it, you will have a great variety of things of historical interest, scenery, wine, music and so on. Also, it's not too hard and east to west is the direction of the prevailing wind in the north of Spain.
Winkeladvokat

Post by Winkeladvokat »

Actually, there are multiple Caminos de Santiago, the a variant of the Ruta de la Plata being one :-)

http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-routes/

Of, course, doing the classic northern route would also be great, but the N-S has a lot to commend it, mainly that it's less busy and takes you through some really wild and undervisited parts of spain (e.g. Extremadura). Plus you end up in Andalucia, which I have a minor love affair with, and the route south of Sevilla through the Pueblos Blancos is stunning. Spain's great :-)
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Gearoidmuar's route sounds good but that's a serious distance. lejog would be tame by comparison.

I was given a book last Christmas by my sister-in-law who lives in Spain. "Cycle touring in Spain: eight detailed tours" by Harry Dowdell, published by Cicerone, ISBN 10: 1-85284-381-0 . I have never cycled in Spain unfortunately but I have visited both Granada/Sierra Nevada and Sierra de Gredos. The book covers routes in both those areas. I would like to go back with a bike.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

7_lives_left wrote:Gearoidmuar's route sounds good but that's a serious distance. lejog would be tame by comparison.

I was given a book last Christmas by my sister-in-law who lives in Spain. "Cycle touring in Spain: eight detailed tours" by Harry Dowdell, published by Cicerone, ISBN 10: 1-85284-381-0 . I have never cycled in Spain unfortunately but I have visited both Granada/Sierra Nevada and Sierra de Gredos. The book covers routes in both those areas. I would like to go back with a bike.

Well you don't have to go into France. If you don't, it's easier than Lejog, at least the CTC Lejog tour which I've done twice. No severe gradients.
EdwardH

Post by EdwardH »

Hello,

I live in Spain (in the mountains just north of Madrid) and do a lot of cycling here and a while ago, as part of an extended tour from England to Morocco, I crossed the the country twice. My route out was: La Jonquera (border with France), Gerona, Barcelona, Ebro Delta, Albacete, Ubeda, Cordoba, Seville, Jerez, Algeciras (across the bay from Gibraltar). Way back was: Algeciras, Seville, Merida, Salamanca, Pamplona and back to France.

Spain's a great country for cycle touring with lots of wonderful, wild scenery. Outside the cities, it's mainly sparsely populated so , if you keep off the main roads, there's little traffic and wild camping is easy. Drivers tend to respect cyclists and normally give plenty of room when overtaking. One piece of advise would be: beware of the heat in summer! Anywhere except the north gets unbearably hot (on the other hand, the interior gets very cold in winter). Also, it's a very mountainous country (apart from the two mesetas). This makes for beautiful landscapes but, at times, strenuous pedalling.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.
bikerpauline

Post by bikerpauline »

Did a similar route in 2002 with my husband. Here is a report: http://www.by-bike.co.uk/spain1.htm

There is also a book by a retired denist about his ride from Santander to Gib. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trans-Iberian-C ... 605&sr=8-1
django44

Post by django44 »

Thanks for your replies on my spanish cycling questions, as usual you guys are a mine of information. I am thinking of going in the spring to avoid summer heat
and didnt know about east to west prevailing winds, so will consider that route. Will check on other info recieved, THANKS AGAIN.