Internet Explorer has encountered problem and will close

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Jan

Internet Explorer has encountered problem and will close

Post by Jan »

I get this message every time visit forum. Only happens on this site. Driving me mad. Please help in none technical terms. Thanks
Mike Rodgers

Post by Mike Rodgers »

I got fed up of IE and changed to Mozilla Firefox. It's a free download - just google it - and I've had no more problems.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

What version of IE?

Does it die on any particular page, or all the pages, or just at random?

Unfortunately without more information about what IE is having problems with it's difficult to suggest a solution.

FWIW 75% of the people using the forum use IE...

I personally use the little-known but excellent (and now completely free) Opera browser ;)
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Windows XP Home Version but not sure how find IE version. It quits on sales/wanted pages of this forum. Been ok on here so far tonight. Appreciate the help.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I still find that if I go to a link from the forum, when I exit that link, I get the message that IE has encountered a programme and has had to close. I have sent numerous automatic fault reports. The only difference seems to have been that for long enough, after the fault message had gone, it did not close but stopped responding so I also had to close the IE using control+alt+delete to get task manager, which generated another fault message. At least now it will close on its own.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Jan wrote:not sure how find IE version.

Either "Help" menu, then "About Internet Explorer" if IE6 or earlier. You should get a window like below, I've circled the version number with red pen:

If IE7, there probably isn't a menu bar visible, so click on the blue icon with the question mark (the right-hand one in this image):

then "About Internet Explorer"

Hope this helps!
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
Jan

IE version

Post by Jan »

Thanks for that. I'm version 7 as per your example. Still having problems with closure.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Hmmm... IE7 is a big improvement on IE6, and should be much more reliable.

What's the actual version you have (e.g. 7.0.5730.11)?

Do you get the option to "report this to Microsoft"? If so, you could give it a go and see if it's a known problem.

It might be worth getting your machine checked out for problems by an expert.

I'm really not sure what it could be, as we get visits from about 360 different people a day using IE7 (~760 using IE6 or 7).
Jan

Post by Jan »

Yes it is version 7.0.5730.11. I have started to report fault when I get that prompt. Is it acted on? Thanks again
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

If you report it to Microsoft and they have seen it before then you get sent to a web page on their site explaining the problem and how to fix it. Sounds like your problem hasn't been seen before, or, if it has, they haven't found a fix for it yet.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

Mike Rodgers wrote:I got fed up of IE and changed to Mozilla Firefox. It's a free download - just google it - and I've had no more problems.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

That is the site where you can get Mozilla Firefox web browser. Download is quick and easy. You can transfer all your 'Favourites' if you prefer it to Internet Explorer.
It is open source software (developed by a massive world-wide community of programmers), it is very fast and it does not belong to the richest man in the world. And you can uninstall it if, for any reason, you don't want in the future.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

I'll second Firefox. I had lots of problems with IE as well.