Tektro cr520's on a galaxy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
roverhead

Tektro cr520's on a galaxy

Post by roverhead »

I have bought some Tektro cr520 cantilever brakes to go on my galaxy but i seem to be having trouble fitting them on my forks,

The distance between the braze on's is 45mm but this does not seem to be enough to allow some clearance on the wheel rim or am i dong something wrong?

Has anyone any ideas of how to make them fit or have i bought the wrong brakes for the forks?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions given.

Ross.
tatanab

Re: Tektro cr520's on a galaxy

Post by tatanab »

It is true that forks have become wider in the last decade, primarily to suit V brakes. However, the Tektro should be ok on your Galaxy. I have 720s on a similar frame.

The brake blocks/shoes have large and small spacers that fit either side of the brake arm. You wil need to have the small one closest to the wheel and the large one outboard. They are interchangeable and designed for this.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Also the measurement you have given of 45mm is suspect. The place to measure is between the centres of the mounting pivots. I have just measures a pair of forks from the 1960s and apair from the 1990s, both come out at 600mm which gives between 45 and 50 between the metal of CR720 brakes when fitted. This enables me to use Mavic MA3 rims amd great long V brake type blocks and still have lots of distance from the block to the rim.

Swap your spacers and I bet you will be ok.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

What age is your galaxy? I ran into this self same problem on my 93 galaxy. Off hand I can't remember the spacing between my bosses (measured centre to centre) but it was really narrow. No matter how I swapped the spacers around there was no way that these style of cantelevers would ever fit (but I would be over the moon to be proved wrong!). I've just got the original deore dx cantilevers in mine.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I dont know when the separation of front canti bosses changed, but it has changed. "Old distance" forks wont take CR720's. I just roughly measured some old forks at 62mm. centres, and modern forks at 78mm. centres.
You need old style cantis for the old forks. Available here...http://www.defietsenmaker.nl/index.php?item=shimano-br-mt60-cantilever-brake-set--_-1980_s&action=article&group_id=32&aid=353&lang=EN

EDIT chris - stick with your old cantis, the mechanical advantage is better!
hugs

Post by hugs »

My Galaxy accepts Tectro Cr520 with a distance between the braze on centres of around 74mm however my Raleigh Randonneur wont because this distance is around 60mm so only the original style Shimano non low profile (circa 1987 ish) canti type fit although these are quite good in themselves

Indeed the link in the previous post does show the type of Shimano Canti that fits.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Gosh, another compatibility issue I'd never thought of.

My 1987 Raleigh tourer has boss centres at about 56mm, and uses Shimano BR-M650 cantis.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Hugs are you sure that low profile cantis won't fit your bike? Colins link shows both low and high profile brakes and both of these will fit the narrow bossess of my bike. My original brakes are low profile. The problem is more one of the style of fitting the brake blocks to the canti arm. At some point all new cantis changed to using a series of shims and washers on the post, something the older design, as in colins link doesn't. It's these shims and washers that cause the problems, there just isn't the space for them. Ditching isn't an option either because they are integral to being able to adjust the toe in of the new blocks.

As Colin kindly pointed out, when they are set up properly they really are quite powerfull and effective, my grumble is more about the amount of tlc they need to stay this way!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

chrisw wrote:............ Colins link shows both low and high profile brakes and both of these will fit the narrow bossess of my bike. My original brakes are low profile.

Don't think it does..............Image

Picture is old style wide profile cantis, enough for 2 wheels, the back set is at a funny angle

Also low profile cantis will fit narrow bosses, but are a pain to keep set up properly.

We might need a volunteer to post pictures of all types of cantis, eg from Sheldon?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

theres lots on cantis. in this recent thread.....http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43448&hilit=+cantis

Unfirtunately, I must go to work.....
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

A few notes...

It's my impression that the canti studs graduated outwards over a period of time. This is certainly the case with the Galaxy. I've written on this before, but unlike Colin, I'm not a link Wizard. (Colin should be made the honary forum librarian, so effective is he at hauling up long forgotten threads!)
This evolution would have shadowed that of the low profile cantilever design.

The use of the multiple washer brake block is a off shoot of V-brakes; they are called V-brake pads afterall.

If I could suggest a modification for anyone struggling to make Tektro CR520/720 brakes fit on old canti-studs and who wish to achieve toe-in, it is this:
Basically, you need to file down the inside of the slotted brake arm plate (where the pads attach) at an angle of perhaps 1.5 degrees. This should mean that you can put all or most of the washers behind said plate, whilst allowing the brake pad to butt right up against the arm, giving you much better clearance. You'll get permanent toe-in, so don't overdo the filing! You should still be able to use any normal washers needed to achieve the right brake pad/rim distance.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Mmm still think the back ones may be low profile, but any way thats not inportant! These definatly are:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38378

531colin wrote:Also low profile cantis will fit narrow bosses, but are a pain to keep set up properly.

This is the problem I'm having with mine a right royal pain in the backside.

Right back to work!
hugs

Post by hugs »

The low profile canti brakes re CRC are a waste of time on touring bikes unless you ride flat bars & mountain bike levers.

This is because road levers do not have enough cable pull for their operation hence why you need the old style non low profile version or do what a couple of my friends have done and take the canti bosses off completely and use the newer dual pivot action side pulls.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

hugs wrote:The low profile canti brakes re CRC are a waste of time on touring bikes unless you ride flat bars & mountain bike levers.

This is because road levers do not have enough cable pull for their operation hence why you need the old style non low profile version or do what a couple of my friends have done and take the canti bosses off completely and use the newer dual pivot action side pulls.

Is this true? I don't think so myself.
meic

Post by meic »

I have just built up a bike with cantis and STIs. It does have a problem with lack of pull but ONLY because there are no adjusters in the system. The levers, hangers and cantis are all without adjusters so if you leave enough slack to be able to release the straddle cable then you can get the levers to the bars.
The solution is pretty obvious though isnt it? :lol:

Oh and the situation is much worse with the Tektro 720s than with my low profile Shimano cantis.
Has anybody actually filed off the ends of the cable nipple holder on the CR720s as they mean you need a lot of extra length on your straddle cable to release it and they look unnecessarily long.
Yma o Hyd