Royal Wedding - does anyone care?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
York Commuter

Royal Wedding - does anyone care?

Post by York Commuter »

Apart from presumably wishing William and Kate personal happiness, does any one actually care about the forthcoming wedding?

How many of us want to see them tie the knot privately in the local registry office rather than a mega-expensive charade even if the cost may be partly covered by his family?

Will this be the anti-climax of 2011?

regards

Stephen
A commuter since 1991 when I moved to York.
A tourer since 1992
Now a married man who spends longer in the garage repairing and building than riding!
kwackers

Re: Royal Wedding - does anyone care?

Post by kwackers »

I was fairly "meh" about it, until I watched the news this morning and realised much to my annoyance that there'll be nothing else on there until the wedding/honeymoon and settling in period are over and done with.

Still, we've got a recession, a Tory PM dismantling the welfare state and a royal wedding. All we need now are the remaining miners to go on strike and it'll be the 80's all over again.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Don't care, but if we get a day's holiday out of it then it will almost be bearable.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

rualexander wrote:Don't care, but if we get a day's holiday out of it then it will almost be bearable.

Some things just have too high a price...
lisap

Post by lisap »

Couldn't care less.

Don't know them, never going to know them and it has no impact on my personal life.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think it's wonderful news and I wish them al the happiness in the world.

It's just something that will give some joy to the ills of the recession and gloom. It'll give a bit of 'nice' to life. We may all get a day off, there will be coverage on the news and TV, people will smile and be happy.

Come on, for goodness sake, we need a smile now and again!
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

At the one for Charlie and Di, I spent the day in a kayak.
So the day of could be spent on the bike or the water again.

Some bonuses I can think of.

The stupid celebs will not get a look in.
Some thing other than x fact up on the box.
Americans spending money coming here.
A few more good jokes.

At least it will be better than football.

Mick is correct at least this is something nice.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:I think it's wonderful news and I wish them al the happiness in the world.

It's just something that will give some joy to the ills of the recession and gloom. It'll give a bit of 'nice' to life. We may all get a day off, there will be coverage on the news and TV, people will smile and be happy.

Come on, for goodness sake, we need a smile now and again!

Do we need bloodsuckers to make us happy now?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

In the good old days they could have had your head off for saying that. :lol:

I feel sorry for the poor couple, it will NOT be their wedding it will be hi-jacked by everyone else who thinks that they can benefit from it.
Even the date is having to be negotiated with the authorities, whereas mere subjects like us can get married on the day that we choose.
I would rather be a caged Panda in a zoo than a Royal.
Yma o Hyd
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'm with Mick F. I like having a Royal Family, but I wouldn't swap with them for the world. Everything they have they hold in trust, their days are full of duty, and they are being watched all the time.

I don't get the envy thing, and as I don't think I could stand up to constant examination without skeletons showing up in my cupboard, I don't see why anyone else should, especially when they didn't choose to be there in the first place.

I'd give a cheer for any young couple making that commitment, and three times the cheer given who they are and what they, and especially she, are taking on.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Edwards wrote:The stupid celebs will not get a look in.

really? who exactly is getting married, if not stupid celebs :?:
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I have mixed feelings on this one. When Charles married Di a group of us spent the occasion playing 'Risk'. I think that we could all do with a bit of cheer right now, but I'd hate to have photographers camped outside my front door.
So what comparisons did I draw. We proposed at about the same time; he did it somewhere in Kenya; I did it on a hill overlooking a lake populated with ducks & geese. The ring he bore cost about 600 times as much as mine, but he did'nt pay for his, mine was more than a months mortgage. We are all looking forward to a 2011 wedding; I'd quite fancy doing ours near the same day.
On reflection, I think that THE BIG WEDDING will be that of Pauline and Alan. Yeah :D
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

rualexander wrote:Don't care, but if we get a day's holiday out of it then it will almost be bearable.

+1
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

hubgearfreak wrote:really? who exactly is getting married, if not stupid celebs

Two well educated young people. Him an RAF search and rescue pilot to a successful young woman who works in the family business.

Compare that to the stupid get me out of here in some sort of prison for people desperate to be on TV, who will do absolutely anything for money.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Edwards wrote:
hubgearfreak wrote:really? who exactly is getting married, if not stupid celebs

Two well educated young people...

One of whom received a priveliged life and a far better education than I did, paid for out of my Dad's pocket (and every other tax-payer).

The other one I can't comment on cos I'd not heard of her before and tbh don't care if I never hear of her again.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster