Proving who you are...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Proving who you are...

Post by Cunobelin »

Interesting one at work.

I have worked for my present employer for some 15 years and now need an updated ID card (a "smart one")

Unfortunately I have to provide a passport (don't hold one) and a photo driving license (mine is a paper one still). My present Photo ID is not acceptable as the orgnisation does not recognise its own ID card as proof of identity!

Hence I cannot have a new ID card

Causing a headache as I will soon be locked out of the IT system without the smart card....
thirdcrank

Re: Proving who you are...

Post by thirdcrank »

Yesterday, I went to the local pharmacy, where I have been a customer over 35 years, to collect my repeat prescription (as I have done every month for the last 6 years.) They were shut for lunch so I called back. The pharmacist called to me by from his dispensing station to say if I had waited he had been on the point of taking it out to me when I called earlier. While we were having this discussion, the assistant brought the medication and checked my ID by asking my address. If personal recognition by a member of a regulated profession is inadequate, it's no wonder we get things mixed up.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Every company I work for these days require you to prove your entitlement to work there, also all job adverts I view also mention you must be able to prove you can legally work in this country.

Having a passport I usually just use that but presumably the system must have a mechanism for dealing with non passport owning, non car driving citizens (sorry, subjects).
meic

Post by meic »

At least you still have an address. Without an address you really do cease to fit the system.

Now if we all had ID cards it would be OK but those liberal, do-gooders but an end to that scheme. :lol:

Although how do you prove your ID for the ID card?

Possibly a personal reference from my local Mullah. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

Out of interest Cunobelin, could you get this same employer to certify the very same passport that you get to prove your ID to them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yma o Hyd
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Is your employer an nhs trust perchance? If so i have a similar dilemma. Lost my card during the changeover to smartness, but have stealthed around shockingly easily without one. Its actually worthy of an undercover investigation tbh (or just a bit of fun!).

I first uspected the security was lacking after several bikes were robbed outise the main entrance, and saw the smoke-police chatting with a smoking colleague.
rower40

Post by rower40 »

thirdcrank wrote:Yesterday, I went to the local pharmacy, where I have been a customer over 35 years, to collect my repeat prescription (as I have done every month for the last 6 years.) They were shut for lunch so I called back. The pharmacist called to me by from his dispensing station to say if I had waited he had been on the point of taking it out to me when I called earlier. While we were having this discussion, the assistant brought the medication and checked my ID by asking my address. If personal recognition by a member of a regulated profession is inadequate, it's no wonder we get things mixed up.

Personally I'm relieved when any health professional cross-checks the information on the piece of paper in front of them. I'm asked randomly date-of-birth, postcode, etc. They've doubtless had it drummed into them how publicly humiliating it would be to them, their managers, and the Health Service as a whole for anyone to be given the wrong package of drugs. Especially if it were to cause the unintended recipient some harm.
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm completely in favour of careful checking of any infomation of this type. "Regular readers" will know that when I did my right achilles, I was wheeled out of the examination and onward for treatment with a note diagnosing that the injury was on the left and instructing treatment on that side as well. Luckily I was conscious, I had elected for conservative treatment (small "c", as they say) and the person treating me could see from which foot had the sock off where the problem lay.....

OTOH, routine checks, of the 'going through the motions' type, are worse than a waste of time IMO, since they lower people's guard. I know because it's a mistake I've made myself.

On the question of posed about proving who you are, short of things like DNA testing, personal recognition by somebody trustworthy who has known the subject for some time takes some beating.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

When I banged my hip, I read the note from the A&E to the x-ray department saying it was my left hip. Duh.

But the OP is in the almost Kafkaesque position of his employer of 15 years not believing he is who he says he is. I don't suppose they seriously disbelieve him; it's just some jobsworth who doesn't understand what he's doing.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Nutsey wrote:Is your employer an nhs trust perchance?

I could neither confirm nor deny that I work in a large building in Cosham which may or may not be an NHS Hospital!
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Cunobelin wrote:

I could neither confirm nor deny that I work in a large building in Cosham which may or may not be an NHS Hospital!

That would be the one that put me back together after a serious incident 31 years ago on the A3.
Full marks to A&E and intensive care, without whom I wouldn't be here today.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Cunobelin wrote:

Because you have no ID :lol:
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I wear a Gill cycling jacket so that I can be returned to my wife if I get lost and can't remember my name.
jonty
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jonty wrote:I wear a Gill cycling jacket ...

In the early 1960's Holdworths - whose catalogue was titled "Aids" in those carefree days - used to distribute massed-start caps with 'Campione' printed on the peak. Johnny Helms did a Honk cartoon of our hero being booked for not observing a STOP sign (probably HALT in those days) and the policeman's speech bubble in the final frame was "And what is your address, Mr Campione?"

Nothing much changes.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Cunobelin wrote:Interesting one at work.

I have worked for my present employer for some 15 years and now need an updated ID card (a "smart one")

Unfortunately I have to provide a passport (don't hold one) and a photo driving license (mine is a paper one still). My present Photo ID is not acceptable as the orgnisation does not recognise its own ID card as proof of identity!

Hence I cannot have a new ID card

Causing a headache as I will soon be locked out of the IT system without the smart card....

Hi Cunobelin

Talk to your RA or RA Agent. There are normally ways round the ID aspect that with still comply with the eGIF3 standards. The biggest problem is that some trusts interpret the guidance too rigidly.