Anyone tried Maplins heated gloves and insoles?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnmac

Re: Anyone tried Maplins heated gloves and insoles?

Post by johnmac »

You lot can take the P - but they do work :oops:
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

I get the feeling that the people taking the mickey here have never actually ridden for long periods in very cold weather. Both me and my wife (both tall and slim, but very different in terms of circulation efficiency and suffering cold extremities during walking or working outside - I am pretty resistant yet my wife gets Raynaud's Phenomenon.) regularly suffer frozen feet on the bike, despite overheating in the rest of our bodies. The wind exposure of feet on a bike is much greater than with most activities, whilst the stimulation of bloood flow through movement is much less than, say, running. Sometimes no amount of core temperature protection will allow sufficient blood flow to the feet.

I got my wife some Maplins insoles for Christmas, following positive reviews from people on this forum; she has yet to try them.
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

goatwarden wrote:I get the feeling that the people taking the mickey here have never actually ridden for long periods in very cold weather.

I ride various distances all year round in all weathers. Granted, it has taken a while to find the right combination of hat, gloves, etc, which really work to keep head, hands and various body parts warm, but to be honest I've never had a problem with cold feet. I guess I'm just blessed with good circulation.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
meic

Post by meic »

I suffer from cold feet and hands. Shimano's silly size shoes dont leave sock room when you have wide feet.

For the hands I resort to Arctic mittens as the fingers can keep each other warm.

The feet have 3mm neoprene overshoes but sometimes I just cant even get them up to temperature. I often have to resort to getting off the bike and running alongside to warm my feet up, unless there is sludgy snow that will soak your feet.

Other times I give up on SPDs and wear wellies with 3 pairs of socks in.
Yma o Hyd
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

7_lives_left wrote:There might be a grain of truth in what the guy on the till said. Rechargeable batteries of all types tend to have much lower internal resistance than alkaline primary cells. If the former are short circuited because they are fitted into equipement that is unsafe and not fuse protected, the wiring can burn red hot and/or the cells themselves can explode. I wouldn't want either of those things to happen to something attached inside my shoes.

AA cells are 1.5v, Rechargeables are usually 1.2v. The difference is slight, but explains why my Gameboy display never looked as good when running on nicads (years ago that is).
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

meic wrote:Other times I give up on SPDs and wear wellies with 3 pairs of socks in.

I have a pair of Shimano SH-MT90 SPD boots that are warm, comfortable and pretty much bomb proof. They do look a bit unlikely for cycling but are designed for cold, wet, muddy, winter MTB use and work really well; I've never had a hint of cold feet with them.

Even better, they double up as excellent, all-round gardening and walking boots. The stiff soles are perfect for spade work.

(Just checking on line and they appear to be being superceded by SH MT91 boots and, like all things imported, prices have shot up but vary enormously.)
E25
cyclome2

Post by cyclome2 »

The insoles are good - though the batteries do not last long. When I rode a conventional bike, I kept my feet warm by wearing walking boots and thick socks. Since moving to a recumbent, I've had to use SPD cleats which means I can not wear walking boots and the cranks/pedals really seem to conduct the cold. The insoles just take the chill off.
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

I tried 3 pairs of socks plus neoprene overshoes last Sunday. After 90 mins my feet were cold. Perhaps the CTC "codgers & loiterers" cycle too slowly?
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

If your hands and feet get really cold you may have Raynold's disease or a tendancy that way. If so, it is difficult to heat up your hands and feet by wearing extra clothing as extra clothing only helps keep heat in - it doesn't generate it if you haven't got it.
In such circumstances you may need to eat extra hot food and have a local heat source close to your hands and feet.
May be worthwhile googling Raynolds disease and finding out what people do with this conditon.
jonty
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

If someone finds they their feet/hands are unfortably cold in circumstances when 95% of other people have no discomfort, it's probably worthwhile seeking medical advice. But it's quite a different matter if 50% or more of your companions are also complaining.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Jonty wrote:If your hands and feet get really cold you may have Raynold's disease or a tendancy that way. If so, it is difficult to heat up your hands and feet by wearing extra clothing as extra clothing only helps keep heat in - it doesn't generate it if you haven't got it.
In such circumstances you may need to eat extra hot food and have a local heat source close to your hands and feet.
May be worthwhile googling Raynolds disease and finding out what people do with this conditon.
jonty

I'd tr searching for "Raynaud's Phenomenon".