Jogle, what to take???

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Adders75

Jogle, what to take???

Post by Adders75 »

Hi guys, will be riding jogle in July and staying in b & bs and hostels, I will be using 56 lt panniers so what do I need to take with me?
sorry if there is already a thread on here regarding this topic and if so could someone please put the link up for me.

cheers
Andy
vernon

Re: Jogle, what to take???

Post by vernon »

It's worth investing a bit of time and doing the investigation yourself as you are likely to come across other things of interest.

Try putting equipment or eqipment lists into the search box and see what crops up.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Agree on the idea of search for yourself, but here's some food for thought:

Puncture repair stuff
General tools that will fit your bike - pointless taking stuff that won't fit!
Spare parts - spokes, bit of chain, tubes and a tyre, gear and brake cables
Paper mapping
Watch
Compass
Torch
Lights
Route notes
All your accommodation booking info including maps and phone numbers
Note pad
Camera
Mobile phone
Snacks
Water bottles - as many as you can fit
Money and cards
Driving Licence
SOS info if you get in an accident - NOK info.
Waterproof tops and extra layers

The list is endless really!
Mick F. Cornwall
cmlstratton

Post by cmlstratton »

Not forgetting "Avon So Soft" cream to prevent the midges biting!!
horizon

Post by horizon »

adders: this is always an interesting question so no problem with your posting it. However, it quickly loses traction when we start talking about weight and time. I take it you were talking about panniers comprising 56 litres in total (!) i.e. two large rear panniers. This will give you a potential total weight of about 16kg depending on what you take (i.e. phones and books weigh more than lightweight fleeces). I reckon on 1 day per kg according to Horizon's Rule* (i.e. you will need a day for each kg, not a kg for each day!) so what you take will depend on by how much you want to fill your panniers and how long you intend to spend on the trip. I would say that you could physically put in your panniers a lot more than you might actually want to carry given that you are B&Bing. Anyway, once we know the weight you intend to take we can argue over what it should consist of!

*Please note that Horizon's Rule works down to 5 days minimum time whatever the weight and up to 28kg maximum weight whatever the time!
Last edited by horizon on 5 Jan 2011, 1:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Big T

Post by Big T »

Mick F wrote:Agree on the idea of search for yourself, but here's some food for thought:

Puncture repair stuff
General tools that will fit your bike - pointless taking stuff that won't fit!
Spare parts - spokes, bit of chain, tubes and a tyre, gear and brake cables
Paper mapping
Watch
Compass
Torch
Lights
Route notes
All your accommodation booking info including maps and phone numbers
Note pad
Camera
Mobile phone
Snacks
Water bottles - as many as you can fit
Money and cards
Driving Licence
SOS info if you get in an accident - NOK info.
Waterproof tops and extra layers

The list is endless really!

Why would you need lights and a torch? Front light makes a decent enough torch. And why would you need your driving licence?
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Maybe you front light doesn't come off? Some don't come off without a spanner. It's only recently I bought a Cateye that clips off the 'bars.

What happens if you need to identify yourself? Who knows what problems you may come across. Be prepared, it's only a slip of paper. Anyway, say the worst happens and your bike is unridable. How do you get home? Perhaps hire a car?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS.
re the torch.

You're on a dark bit and you need to fix something or look at a map. It's good to leave your lights on the bike so you and it can be seen, and so you can use your torch to see what you're doing. You don't need a big torch with 6 D cells in it.
Mick F. Cornwall
vernon

Post by vernon »

cmlstratton wrote:Not forgetting "Avon So Soft" cream to prevent the midges biting!!

If the rider goes up the East coast then there will be no need for the stuff otherwise regard it as essential.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Mick F wrote:PS.
re the torch.

You're on a dark bit and you need to fix something or look at a map. It's good to leave your lights on the bike so you and it can be seen, and so you can use your torch to see what you're doing. You don't need a big torch with 6 D cells in it.

I take a head torch. It has the advantage of leaving both hands free while trying to repair punctures in the dark.
meic

Post by meic »

vernon wrote:
cmlstratton wrote:Not forgetting "Avon So Soft" cream to prevent the midges biting!!

If the rider goes up the East coast then there will be no need for the stuff otherwise regard it as essential.

I remember getting slaughtered by midges in the forests around Dundee.
Yma o Hyd
Adders75

Post by Adders75 »

Thanks for the replies guys, just ordered my panniers so I hope they are big enough :-)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Adders75 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, just ordered my panniers so I hope they are big enough :-)

Or not too big. :?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Here's one space saver that I've just come accross. I've just finished a bottle of "Finish line" chain lube I was about to bin it when I thought about cleaning it out, (pull the nozel out with a pair of pliers) and filling it with shower gel, you dont need a big bottle of the stuff just enough to get you through. Pull the label off and then you don't get mixed up. Should be just about right.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
higherpie

Post by higherpie »

remember youll need three sets of spokes;two different sets for the rear wheel,with one set for the front. :D