Liverpool to ?????

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Linds

Liverpool to ?????

Post by Linds »

Hello all

I've been lurking for a few months now, but didn't feel it right to post until I signed up as a CTC member, but here I am fully signed up and ready to go.

I started cycling again about 3.5 years ago after a 20 year break and bought my first ever roadie (for triathlons but don't hold that against me) and really enjoyed the cycling. So much so that I've done a couple of Audax's and last summer I did my first ever tour (credit card and YHA), spending 4 days riding from Bristol - Brecon - Machynlleth - Snowdon - Liverpool (245 miles all in) and I loved it.

So it's time to start planning my next tour.

Wales has now been done, and looking at the map there seems to be some interesting stuff "up north" so I had thought of continuing my journey from Liverpool, but where to?

I guess I'm looking for a daily mileage of 70ish miles, would look for 3 or 4 days of riding, on minor/quiet roads (Wales was brilliant for this) and I don't want a circular route (I like the idea of being able to look back on a long route).

My initial thought was to Newcastle, via The Lakes, but I'm open to pretty much any suggestions.

Thanks and be gentle :D
cycleruk

Re: Liverpool to ?????

Post by cycleruk »

The shortest route to Newcastle is about 150 miles, according to my mapping program.
So that would do your 70 miles/day and will take you through the Yorkshire Dales. If you were to add the Lake District in then your will probably need an extra day or two.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
julk

Post by julk »

How about a nice ride from Liverpool to Preston, up the Ribble Valley, over the Forest of Bowland, up to the South Lake District, then roughly round the coast of the Lakes finishing off with a potter along the Eden Valley as far South as Penrith.

Daily mileages are approximate.

Day 1 (71 miles) Liverpool - Ingleton via the Ribble valley and then the Forest of Bowland.
Liverpool / Preston / Clitheroe / Slaidburn / Ingleton.

Day 2 (64 miles) Ingleton - Broughton in Furness via Kendal, Ulverston and the Furness Peninsula.
Ingleton / Kendal / Ulverston / Rampside / Askam-in-Furness / Broughton-in-Furness.

Day 3 (67 miles) Broughton-in-Furness to Silloth via the West Lakes Coast using NCR72 where possible North from Ravenglass.
Broughton-in-Furness / Millom / Ravenglass / Whitehaven / Workington / Maryport / Silloth.

Day 4 (60 miles) Silloth to Penrith via Solway Coast (NCR72), Carlisle and Eden Valley.
Silloth / Anthorn / Bowness-on-Solway / Carlisle / Scotby / Lazonby / Langwathby / Penrith.

Return by train?
noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Post by noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk »

or you could pick up the Trans Pennine Way just south of Liverpool and head across to Hull?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Get on the train to Inverness
Ride to John O'Groats and back to Inverness.
120 miles each way, four days.

Next time, get the train to Edinburgh ......................

:wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Linds

Post by Linds »

julk wrote:How about a nice ride from Liverpool to Preston, up the Ribble Valley, over the Forest of Bowland, up to the South Lake District, then roughly round the coast of the Lakes finishing off with a potter along the Eden Valley as far South as Penrith.

Daily mileages are approximate.

Day 1 (71 miles) Liverpool - Ingleton via the Ribble valley and then the Forest of Bowland.
Liverpool / Preston / Clitheroe / Slaidburn / Ingleton.

Day 2 (64 miles) Ingleton - Broughton in Furness via Kendal, Ulverston and the Furness Peninsula.
Ingleton / Kendal / Ulverston / Rampside / Askam-in-Furness / Broughton-in-Furness.

Day 3 (67 miles) Broughton-in-Furness to Silloth via the West Lakes Coast using NCR72 where possible North from Ravenglass.
Broughton-in-Furness / Millom / Ravenglass / Whitehaven / Workington / Maryport / Silloth.

Day 4 (60 miles) Silloth to Penrith via Solway Coast (NCR72), Carlisle and Eden Valley.
Silloth / Anthorn / Bowness-on-Solway / Carlisle / Scotby / Lazonby / Langwathby / Penrith.

Return by train?

thanks, that sounds interesting .......