The power of helmets to protect from broken neck

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
yakdiver

Re: The power of helmets to protect from broken neck

Post by yakdiver »

meic wrote:
yakdiver wrote:Great another helmet debate …..... Image

What did you expect to find in a helmets sub-forum? Organic Gardening?

I didn't even know we had a helmet forum....how sad it that, you either you want the dam thing on your head or not, how easy it that, end of forum
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

yakdiver wrote:I didn't even know we had a helmet forum....how sad it that, you either you want the dam thing on your head or not, how easy it that, end of forum

if you're bored with helmet discussions i've got a tip for you.

don't click on threads with the word helmet in their title :wink:
meic

Post by meic »

yakdiver wrote:
meic wrote:
yakdiver wrote:Great another helmet debate …..... Image

What did you expect to find in a helmets sub-forum? Organic Gardening?

I didn't even know we had a helmet forum....how sad it that, you either you want the dam thing on your head or not, how easy it that, end of forum

If you had been wasting your life in the helmet sub forum you would know that that choice is about to be removed from some of us :!: :!:

It has actually started, yet the CTC hasnt bothered reporting anything about it (N.I. is a LONG way from London).
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

hubgearfreak wrote:
meic wrote:What did you expect to find in a helmets sub-forum?

yes - it is an odd place to visit if you're bored with discussions about Hs :shock:

For information: some people don't use the hierarchical structure of the forum to browse - they just hit the New Posts button (OWEIC) and get a list of all recent threads, totally divorced from any kind of categorisation.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Si wrote:For information: some people don't use the hierarchical structure of the forum to browse - they just hit the New Posts button

i'm one of them. but the title is blah blah helmet blah blah
it gave the game away to me as to what may be it's content.

if there's a thread who's title is blah blah shimnolo front mech blah blah
i don't open it, as i have no intrerest or anything to add. it'd be pointless me reading it and then adding to it; oh, how dull, another d*r**ll**r thread :wink:
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

http://www.ta.org.br/site/Banco/7manuai ... helmet.pdf
The Case against bicycle helmets and legislation, VeloCity cycling conference, Munich 2007. A detailed report presented at the world’s leading cycling conference providing details showing how helmet use and legislation has reduced both health and safety in general terms.
page 7 of 20
"Neck injury data indicates helmets use may not
provide any benefit. Attewell33 stated "Three
studies provided neck injury results that were
unfavourable to helmets with a summary
estimate of 1.36(1.00, 1.86), but this result may
not be applicable to the lighter helmets currently
in use". A combination of helmet factors
increase the risk of a neck injury, size, mass,
gripping the road surface, bending moment and
overall accident rate."

Possibly the press should be made aware.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

hubgearfreak wrote:
yakdiver wrote:I didn't even know we had a helmet forum....how sad it that, you either you want the dam thing on your head or not, how easy it that, end of forum

if you're bored with helmet discussions i've got a tip for you.

don't click on threads with the word helmet in their title :wink:

Shouldn't we have a helmet smiley?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

On as serious note, and although it sound very "Daily Mail", it is a serious suggestion

Lets assume for a moment:

1. That there will be the odd situation where various unavoidable factors beyond the control of the participants means an incident is a true accident
2. That an occasional incident will occur due to a minor oversight will occur and have sometimes major consequences.
3. That there is a type of incident directly attributable to a series of errors or judgments by the driver that are demonstrably the cause of the accident

The quickest way to reduce car use would be to firstly to have mandatory bans

Take the Doctor with a string of offences who also "needed her car for her job" etc, this should not be a factor, 12 points should be a ban automatically

Secondly lets stop the cancellation of points after a period of time and make them permanent - then if you are banned twice than, or even a totting up to a total of 24 points should be a lifetime ban

As long as drivers are able to offend to this level with impunity and get to the extreme where you can be a "professional driver the Thames Materials driver who killed a cylcist a string of drink driving and dangerous driving offences, banned on a number of occasions as well.

I know this is a problem as this "man" also had 16 convictions for driving without a license, but that is another enforcement issue.